• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

93 K1100LT Left Turn signal and ABS not working

rcapone28

Hello,

This is a project bike that I have been working on for the past few years, I'm very close to completing it but still have a few items to hash out, among which is the turn signal and ABS.
Having issues with the left turn signal, bulbs do work as they turn on and off with the 4 way hazard flashers. The left side indicators work fine. Only thing I can think of doing is replacing is the relay, but I had read that this component that operates both the right and left turn signals very rarely fail. When I do turn on the right turn signal (the one that is working) I cannot turn it off, and I believe the turn signal cancel switch on the right hand controller is what cancels the turn signal.

Is this issue fixed by replacing the relay, or is there anything else (other than the electrical connections and wiring) that I should look at?

I believe this bike is outfitted with ABS1, where the relay for it is in the relay box under the tank. Is there a document that I can follow to troubleshoot? The ABS light comes on and blinks when I turn on the ignition, it stays lit when I push the ABS rocker switch, I'm hoping that the ECU is OK (as I don't have a way to diagnose or test)and that there is something that I'm over looking. This bike was sitting for about 10 years before I received it, both front and rear brakes have been completely rebuilt with steel braided lines, and are functioning, all the brake lines are connected to the the appropriate ABS modulators, and the sensors are in place and clean.

Any help and information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rudy

The issues with the turn signals could easily just be dirty contacts in the switches. Three switches are involved: left turn, right turn, and cancel. From the description it seems the right turn works but the cancel and left turn don't. I would remove the single screw on each side that allows the switch bodies to be removed from the handlebar assemblies. Typically no further disassembly is needed. I would spray electric contact cleaner into each switch as best I could from both the back and front sides and activate each switch numerous times. Once thoroughly clean you will probably notice that the dry and clean switches seem a little stiffer than they did. So, I then spray a little WD40 which lubricates and eliminates the stiffness. I suspect that once all of the switches including high/low beam and horn switches are clean the signals will work just fine.

Turn signals fixed!

Thank you PGlaves!

That was just what it needed.Both signals and the cancel are all working fine.
In fact I sprayed the other switches with electronics cleaner since the bike has been sitting for such a long time.

My next step is to put all of the fairing back on the bike, I'm curious to see if the motorized screen works. Doubt that there is any maintenance that can be done to that setup, looks like a motor with a sealed helical gear that actuates 2 flexible rods that are also sealed.

The engineering in the bike is incredible, but also scary at the same time -some parts are hard to find and all are expensive!

Thanks again,

Rudy

Thank you PGlaves!

That was just what it needed.Both signals and the cancel are all working fine.
In fact I sprayed the other switches with electronics cleaner since the bike has been sitting for such a long time.

<snip>

Thanks again,

Rudy

Great to hear. I love it when a plan works out.

Back