• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

87 K75 Oil Misting

Hi,

My 87 K75 with 115k on the clock is misting from the front of the engine, mostly to the riders right and towards the top i.e. above the line of the cylinders (see highlighted area of attachment). There are no gaskets there and I am at a loss to figure out why it might be doing this. Oil also seems to be seeping from the filler cap, which is tight. I'm wondering if pressure is building up inside the engine, but i'm not sure how I can check that.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 9.57.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 9.57.55 PM.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 50
If you think oil is coming from the oil filler cap, it is probably a bad o-ring on the cap. Should be replaced with o-ring with slightly larger cross section to insure longer life.

The area in the yellow box would probably be the timing chain cover which is sealed with tri-bond sealant or the crank cover gasket which would require 10 bolt bushings and a new crank cover gasket. It needs to be torqued to only 78 in/lb so as not to strip out the threads in the block.

Another possibility for the yellow box area is oil from the right fork seal being blown to that area or oil from a leaky oil pressure switch (on top of oil pump) being blown up to that area.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Back