• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'86 k75T (I think) registered as a 75C?? Deperate for a fairing

jimnto

I have recently acquired an '86 k75 - the registration pops up as a k75C but from the headlight and crash bar it seems like a k75T.

Anyhow - I like the square headlight and fairing on an K75S - Question #1) I met a guy in Chicago with an S fairing. Can I just swap the headlight and bolt the bracket and fairing on? Direct swap?
And regarding price - I sort of know the price is whatever it is worth to me but what should I offer the guy? What would a used S fairing sell for? Considering there are less and less buyers as days go on.
Also - what would it take to get the anti-dive forks? I hit the front brake and down she goes. I can deal with it but I imagine I would really like the anti-dive properties of the later bikes. What does it take to make that happen.

I am in Toronto Canada. Thanks

Jim Nbike_front.jpg

Attachments

• bike_side.jpg
    bike_side.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 79
  • bike_side.jpg
    bike_side.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 80
  • bike_side.jpg
    bike_side.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 79
The fairing will swap over if you get all the brackets and plastic. But it would be easier to just buy a K75S - they are readily available and already have both the fairing and the sport front suspension.

If you keep this bike you could get all the bits for the sport suspension - damping rods, springs, etc. I did that back in '87 or '88. That is expensive. A good set of progressive wound springs will do 90% as much at a lot less cost.

Thanks - I can't really afford a second bike

I am imagining I could get the fairing for a few hundred dollars. That is cheaper than buying a k75S isn't it? And thanks for the tip about the springs. i will look into it.

The fairing will swap over if you get all the brackets and plastic. But it would be easier to just buy a K75S - they are readily available and already have both the fairing and the sport front suspension.

If you keep this bike you could get all the bits for the sport suspension - damping rods, springs, etc. I did that back in '87 or '88. That is expensive. A good set of progressive wound springs will do 90% as much at a lot less cost.

I am imagining I could get the fairing for a few hundred dollars. That is cheaper than buying a k75S isn't it? And thanks for the tip about the springs. i will look into it.

I don't know what the net difference between the value of your bike to sell and the cost of a K75S. My hunch is that it is about even - at least in the states where K75S bikes are plentiful and K75 standard bikes are increasingly rare.

The T was imported as a C and the shield and other stuff was added in North America, I can see how it could be registered as a C. I bought a full S fairing from BeemerBoneYard for $300 a couple years ago, mine got smashed by a confrontation with a deer. The plastic on the used fairing was good but the paint job was a horrid yellow rattle-can job, lots of runs and orange peel. Bits of the S fairing are pricey, $50 or more for blinker lenses, $80 for a headlight and I've seen belly fairings going for a couple hundred. If you can snag one cheap go for it. And I improvised on the original paint scheme to hide the rattle can job:D

Attachments

• kcam.jpg
    kcam.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 74
  • wrecked.jpg
    wrecked.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 74
WPaul's right.

You've got a very nice looking K75T. Looks like all it needs is a new windscreen or cleaning with plastic polish (I wonder if those headlight cleaning kits would work). There are alot of people looking for exactly what that bike offers: comfortable upright seating position, a large protective windscreen, crash bars, smooth compliant suspension.

Just to change to the front fairing requires A LOT of parts and you'd still have the rear drum and poorer suspension.

Just to make sure the guy has ALL the parts you need to mount the fairing, other than all the screws and bolts you would need:

Front fairing mount
Front fairing mount cover
Right and left fairing mount
Right and left fairing
Right and left rear fairing trim panels
Radiator panel and grill
Rubber between fairing and tank
Fairing panel above headlight
Headlight and mounting braket
Windscreen and mounting gaskets
Left and right front turn indicators and gaskets
S or C handlebars. (Ss looks pretty silly with the RT bars that are presently on your bike)
Left and right Engine spoiler plus grill and two mounting brackets

Then you need to paint it all (not cheap as we are talking 4 pieces to match to your bike or 12 for the whole bike w/o engine spoiler, 14 with engine spoiler).

You would end up with a bike that still had a drum brake and pooer suspension. If you want an S, clean your windscreen and sell your bike for a few hundred (WAY less than you'd spend on the fairing and paint) less than the price of a nice S and buy yourself a real S. Much easier, much cheaper, and you'll be much happier.

The S fairing will probably give you LESS weather protection than your T windscreen.

:dance:dance:dance

The silver grey is a nice looking bike - Mine was bought for $1200

Well, my bike has a spray can paint job. It needed the odometer gears and I fixed a troublesome ground. I think those were the reasons I got the bike at (what I thought was) a good price.

I like the look of the S fairing but I need protection from wind buffeting. i ride this bike to work on the expressway everyday and everyday as I am leaning into a curve I feel the wind pushing me back and forth. It improved a lot with the windshield.

I just put a new rear shock on. I guess I would like to sell it in the spring. I like the S. BTW - I just joined and Ted got me access to the forum. Getting all your responses is as great as people said it was going to be. Thanks for all the input.

Jim N Toronto

The T was imported as a C and the shield and other stuff was added in North America, I can see how it could be registered as a C. I bought a full S fairing from BeemerBoneYard for $300 a couple years ago, mine got smashed by a confrontation with a deer. The plastic on the used fairing was good but the paint job was a horrid yellow rattle-can job, lots of runs and orange peel. Bits of the S fairing are pricey, $50 or more for blinker lenses, $80 for a headlight and I've seen belly fairings going for a couple hundred. If you can snag one cheap go for it. And I improvised on the original paint scheme to hide the rattle can job:D

Of the K75 models, the K75RT provides the most protection from the elements and wind to the point where it can become too protective (warm) in very hot weather.

The S puts alot of turbulent air right at the base of your helmet. BMW should have called the windscreen on the S a "wind noise generator". Ear plugs mandatory!

Be aware that S front turn signals sell for $84.14 each new and around $40-$50 used each if you can find them.

Of the K75 models, the K75RT provides the most protection from the elements and wind to the point where it can become too protective (warm) in very hot weather.

The S puts alot of turbulent air right at the base of your helmet. BMW should have called the windscreen on the S a "wind noise generator". Ear plugs mandatory!

FYIW: With the Aeroflow windshield on the S Fairing and a low seat the wind hits me at about the top of my head.

Back