• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

83 R100 pulse intake system

I am sorry, I have been trying to upload and post the picture of the wiring diagram I have on hand for the hazard system and the forum will not let me. After seven or eight different tries and failures, I give up. If you want a copy, private message me your email and I will attach and send it to you.

Stupid forum lets me post bloody useless emjoies or icons but not important things. My grump for the day, St.

When is the last time you uploaded a picture?

Brook has some wiring information in this thread-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...stem-Wiring-and-Components-Resource-Materials

OM

Last time

The last time I uploaded a picture, it was successful, I know I have to get the size right and such to suit the bleeding forum requirements, but this morning the stupid thing allows me to upload the file, (jpeg) but then there is no "button" or command to continue to add it to the post. Perhaps I am just dense this morning I don't know, I do know problems with uploading pictures and stuff happen and in most cases are easy to sort and fix. This morning I am at the end of patience.

Frankly, this is crazy, as I said, at the bottom of each answer post is a long row of stupid icons that while I never have used apparently can be added at ease while as said, important things can't. Either way, it is not really a topic to discuss in the airhead section but rather in private or in the forum general area.

It burns me because I have the wiring diagram and can't share it. Maybe Brook's link will have it and that will solve the problem. St.

The last time I uploaded a picture, it was successful, I know I have to get the size right and such to suit the bleeding forum requirements, but this morning the stupid thing allows me to upload the file, (jpeg) but then there is no "button" or command to continue to add it to the post. Perhaps I am just dense this morning I don't know, I do know problems with uploading pictures and stuff happen and in most cases are easy to sort and fix. This morning I am at the end of patience.

Frankly, this is crazy, as I said, at the bottom of each answer post is a long row of stupid icons that while I never have used apparently can be added at ease while as said, important things can't. Either way, it is not really a topic to discuss in the airhead section but rather in private or in the forum general area.

It burns me because I have the wiring diagram and can't share it. Maybe Brook's link will have it and that will solve the problem. St.

Probably not the forum. Try clicking on the “picture” icon in the above “tool” bar (when you are in reply mode). It’s the sixth from the right and looks like a picture nailed to the wall by the four corners and follow the prompts.

More info on posting here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?72733-How-to-post-on-the-MOA-Forum

OM

Yes

I have done that, it is not working, as I have said, this is not a topic for airheads but should be discussed somewhere because I am not the first and only person to complain about the issue. St.

Other things

The other switch may also be for heated handle grips, but back to the hazard flashers, The factory hazard switch I am familiar with is illuminated when in action and has the triangle icon on it and is kind of red in color. It has a dedicated harness for the system hence the dedicated wiring diagram. in the past I found in BMW microfiches few variations on the switch for the airheads.

LOL, the mystery switch, hopefully it is not for a passenger ejector seat! LOL. Well, praise be! the tenth attempt to upload the diagram seems to have worked! Don't ask me what I did this time to get it to do so. Hope it helps. As far as just getting the bike running, the ignition and start wiring is not real complex, you should have no problems with a good diagram.

Bucks, county, I had friends down there, very pretty area. St.

BMW Hazard light schmatic.jpg

If

If you have a question about any switch on the bike, if you can upload a picture do so. LOL, for the most part, there are only two things BMW installed I am aware of on the 83 airheads, the hazard lights and heated grips, any other switch would be a guess and perhaps seeing it would ring a note and make sense.

Nice bike, it will be great when you get it running and riding. St.

Thanks again Steve.

One thing I am puzzled about, is the lack of a friction type steering damper. IIRC, my 82 R100RS as well as my 81 R100 CS both had knob type, friction dampers.

Of course, that was 25-30 some years ago, so maybe I am not remembering it accurately.

Thanks again Steve.

One thing I am puzzled about, is the lack of a friction type steering damper. IIRC, my 82 R100RS as well as my 81 R100 CS both had knob type, friction dampers.

Of course, that was 25-30 some years ago, so maybe I am not remembering it accurately.

As far as I know the knob type friction dampers were discontinued when the /6 was introduced in 1974.

Steering damper

The /7 era bikes, mainly the RS, S, RT did not have friction steering dampening. BMW went with a piston three position system controlled by a Knob in the center of the Steering head/handlebar assembly.

B0000583.png. This would be the system you should have for your bike. It may have been removed by the PO. I have this on both of my bikes and quite frankly, I don't use it much, when I think I should use it is is kind of nice to have LOL, I can't say for sure if It works the way it should, I am guessing it does because I have never had the bike get squirrelly on me when I thought I should have it on.

Oh yes, here are the BMW parts for the emergency flashers or hazard lights.

B0001885.png

Sadly, the switch is NLA. St.

A steering damper is really only needed for a race bike with a race suspension or on sidecar setups. Even then with the sidecars, it was only needed when going slow over rocky surfaces...keeps the bars from being ripped out of your hands.

Thanks guys. I think I mis spoke when I referred to the dampers on my previous R bike as “friction dampers” . Not sure what they actually are called, but they did have the knob at the top.

I agree, that a SD is not always needed. I was just commenting that this bike does not appear to have one, and the previous owner wasn’t sure whether it ever did.

Damper

Yeah, the only time I have used my damper is when I was on gravel or dirt roads, like I said, I don't know if it did any good but, it was the thought that counted, LOL. St.

Just discovered some good news about this R100. When I bought it two weeks ago, one of the projected repairs that I planned, was a change of the two front rubber brake hoses. Digging through all of the parts receipts, I found one dated November 2017 for two hoses. Checking over the ones installed, they appear much newer and cleaner than 40 year old parts��.

Also, after taking the old inspection sticker off, I see that it was last Pa. inspected in 2018. So, that means that the bike may not have been sitting for as long as I was originally told. It also makes more sense about the fuel that I found in the tank. It was not extremely stale, and hadn’t gummed up any of the petcocks, or float bowls. I still plan to refresh the carbs with new diaphragms and gaskets etc.

Thanks guys. I think I mis spoke when I referred to the dampers on my previous R bike as “friction dampers” . Not sure what they actually are called, but they did have the knob at the top.

I agree, that a SD is not always needed. I was just commenting that this bike does not appear to have one, and the previous owner wasn’t sure whether it ever did.

The R60 and R60 had a friction damper, but the airheads were all hydraulic with a little shock like thing hanging down there under the triple clamp. I had one on my 83 RS. My 84 R100CS did away with the damper, likely due to the bars being a little longer and giving the rider better leverage.

FWIW, I have a similar gizmo on my Ducati and, since it's an Italian bike, the damper is Ohlins. :ha

I believe the dampers were intended for use on roads that were less then ideal. I think that is mentioned in the owners manual but my bike is in storage so I cant verify that fact. 1981 R100RT hydraulic damper.

I’m working on a 83 R100, that has been sitting for several years. Under the air filter, is a system that I believe BMW used back in the 80’s, called Pulse. Essentially, it recycles combustion gasses back into the intake, or something like that.

It does nothing of the sort.

Rather, it is a system to introduce oxygen into the exhaust system so that any unburned fuel there is consumed and doesn't create pollution.

My Porsche and my gas powered Mercedes both feature an air pump to accomplish the same thing. Since cold started gasoline engines require a rich mixture to initially run (remember choke?), the possibility of unburned fuel in the exhaust system exists during the rich running period. The air pump (an electric fan) runs for around 30 seconds to introduce oxygen into the exhaust system.

Your biggest worry regarding your airbox (pancake version) is keeping the water drain fresh ... meaning flexible rubber. This thing is on the clean side of the filter and when it doesn't seal from engine vacuum, it's a dirty air source.

PS: When I had Airheads (3 '84s) I sourced European airbox parts from Motobins (used) which did not have the holes drilled in them for connection of the pipes portion of this air injestion system. A lot cleaner look than rubber plugs.

So, new diaphragms in, new o rings, gaskets in both carbs. All new fuel hoses, and a fresh agm battery. I still have the Pulse air system intact, for now. Tomorrow morning, I’ll button everything els up, put the tank back on, and see if it starts.

Once i know it runs, I can start to evaluate the overall condition of the bike. That will be the time to change all fluids, get new tires, and buy all the little items that it needs, like the shifter rubber, those plastic wheel like fasteners for the tank hold down and other stuff.

Well, no joy in yesterday’s attempt to get this neglected started. Apparently, 39 year old electrical components can give out. :)

Fortunately, I found the culprit, a severely corroded spade connector, in the center of the five plug relay, under the tank. After a thorough Deoxit session, I repaired the connection with a new one, and this morning It cranked over. I’ll add fresh gas on Thursday, and see if it starts.

Back