• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/6 Stainless Bolt Kit

skotlyc

I'm getting ready to order a stainless bolt kit to start re-assembly of my 1975 R60/6. Wondering if anyone out there had any experience with stainless cycle? He sells the kits on Ebay for $175. I've attached the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-AIRHEAD...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce24c59f4&vxp=mtr

You guys have any other suggestions of complete stainless kits? I have a lot of missing fasteners and I'm hoping this includes everything I could possibly need for ground up restoration.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott -

The resource link in my signature line has a section on fasteners and there are at least two suppliers of kits there, although it seems they're a little more expensive than your ebay link. I would say you get a know entity with those suppliers...maybe the ebay-er is OK...dunno.

Issues you'll need to be aware of with stainless is there can be a tendency to gall and you'll need to be careful with torques...I believe the stainless material slides easier so you can easily over torque something. I hope I've characterized that correctly...maybe someone has direct experience.

stainless hardware

I would add that almost all the stainless pieces are obviously just the fasteners that are visible on the outside of the bike.

My son purchased a kit (from whom, I don't know) for his K-bike and he got a bunch of stuff he couldn't use.

Also, stainless is not as strong as regular steel and esp. higher grade steel. Stainless is mostly done for visibility and appearance.

If you just start replacing as you need - good source is McMaster-Carr. Much less expensive but worth it.

This is probably where the people selling their "kits" are purchasing their bolt supply!

Last edited:
AND... if you drop that little nut into that little crevase you can't fish it out with a magnet.

I'm aware of the galling issue and I realize stainless is no where near as strong as original. I do have some concerns with that... I may go the mcmaster route for some of the more structural bolts and fasteners. Unless you guys know of kits that are available that aren't stainless?

AND... if you drop that little nut into that little crevase you can't fish it out with a magnet.

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of stainless steel is attracted by magnets.

The British classic bike mags caution buyers to make sure that the stainless hardware they buy is of the same grade as the steel ones they replace. Apparently many of the kits on the market are made from fairly mild grades of stainless.

Back