• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

50 Survival Tips

statdawg

High & Dry
50 survival tips - Read 'em now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this article and thought it might be good to spread the knowledge.
-------
Assume you're invisible
Because to a lot of drivers, you are. Never make a move based on the assumption that another driver sees you, even if you've just made eye contact.

Be considerate
The consequences of strafing the jerk du jour or cutting him off start out bad and get worse. Pretend it was your grandma and think again

Dress for the crash, not the pool or the prom
Sure, Joaquin's Fish Tacos is a five-minute trip, but nobody plans to eat pavement. Modern mesh gear means 100-degree heat is no excuse for a T-shirt and board shorts

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
Assume that car across the intersection will turn across your bow when the light goes green, with or without a turn signal.

Leave your ego at home
The only people who really care if you were faster on the freeway will be the officer and the judge.

Pay attention
Yes, there is a half-naked girl on the billboard. And the chrome needs a polish. Meanwhile, you could be drifting toward Big Trouble. Focus.

Mirrors only show you part of the picture
Never change direction without turning your head to make sure the coast really is clear.

Be patient
Always take another second or three before you pull out to pass, ride away from a curb or merge into freeway traffic from an on-ramp. It's what you don't see that gets you. That extra look could save your butt.

Watch your closing speed
Passing cars at twice their speed or changing lanes to shoot past a row of stopped cars is just asking for trouble.

Beware the verge and the merge
A lot of nasty surprises end up on the sides of the road: empty McDonald's bags, nails, TV antennas, ladders, you name it. Watch for potentially troublesome debris on both sides of the road.

Left-turning cars remain a leading killer of motorcyclists
Don't assume someone will wait for you to dart through the intersection. They're trying to beat the light, too.

Think before you act
Careful whipping around that Camry going 10 mph in a 40 mph zone or you could end up with your head in the driver's side door when he turns in front of you.

Beware of cars running traffic lights
The first few seconds after a signal light changes are the most perilous. Look both ways before barging into an intersection.

Check your mirrors
Do it every time you change lanes, slow down or stop. Be ready to move if another vehicle is about to occupy the space you'd planned to use

Mind the gap
Remember Driver's Ed.? One second's worth of distance ? The old rule of thumb. Better still, scan the next 12 seconds ahead for potential trouble.

Beware of boy racer cars
They're quick, and their drivers tend to be young and aggressive, therefore potentially hazardous

Excessive entrance speed hurts
It's the leading cause of single-bike accidents on twisty roads-some cruisers can make unheard of amounts of power. Use it on the way out of a corner, not in.

Don't trust that deer whistle
Ungulates and other feral beasts prowl at dawn and dusk, so heed those big yellow signs. If you're riding in a target-rich environment, slow down and watch the shoulders.

Learn to use both brakes
The front does most of your stopping, but for a lot of heavy cruisers a little extra rear brake can really help haul you up fast.

Keep the front brake covered-always
Save a single second of reaction time at 60 mph and you can stop 150 feet shorter. Think about that.

Look where you want to go
Use the miracle of target fixation to your advantage. The motorcycle goes where you look, so focus on the solution instead of the problem.

Keep your eyes moving
Traffic is always shifting, so keep scanning for potential trouble. Don't lock your eyes on any one thing for too long unless you're actually dealing with trouble

Come to a full stop at that next stop sign
Put a foot down. Look again. Anything less forces a snap decision with no time to spot potential trouble.

Raise your gaze
It's too late to do anything about the 5.meters immediately in front of your fender, so scan the road far enough ahead to see trouble and change trajectory.

Get your mind right in the driveway
Most accidents happen during the first 15 minutes of a ride, below 35 mph, near an intersection or driveway. Yes, that could be your driveway

Never dive into a gap in stalled traffic
Cars may have stopped for a reason, and you may not be able to see why until it's too late to do anything about it.

Don't saddle up more than you can handle
If you weigh 175 lbs, avoid that 500kg cruiser. Get something lighter and more manageable.

Watch for car doors opening into traffic
And smacking a car that's swerving around some goofball's open door is just as painful.

Don't get in an intersection rut
Watch for a two-way stop after a string of four-way intersections. If you expect cross-traffic to stop, there could be a painful surprise when it doesn't.

Stay in your comfort zone when you're with a group
Riding over your head is a good way to end up in a ditch. Any bunch worth riding with will have a rendezvous point where you'll be able to link up again.

Give your eyes some time to adjust
A minute or two of low light heading from a well-lighted garage onto dark streets is a good thing. Otherwise, you're essentially flying blind for the first km or so.

Master the slow U-turn
Practice. Park your butt on the outside edge of the seat and lean the bike into the turn, using your body as a counterweight as you pivot around the rear wheel.

Who put a stop sign at the top of this hill?
Don't panic. Use the rear brake to keep from rolling back down. Use Mr. Throttle and Mr. Clutch normally-and smoothly-to pull away.

If it looks slippery, assume it is
A patch of suspicious pavement could be just about anything. Butter Flavor Crisco ? Gravel ? Mobil 1 ? Or maybe it's nothing. Better to slow down for nothing than go on your head.

Bang! A blowout! Now what ?
No sudden moves. The motorcycle isn't happy, so be prepared to apply a little calming muscle to maintain course. Ease back the throttle, brake gingerly with the good wheel and pull over very smoothly to the shoulder. Big sigh.

Drops on the faceshield ?
It's raining. Lightly misted pavement can be slipperier than when it's been rinsed by a downpour, and you never know how much grip there is. Apply maximum-level concentration, caution and smoothness.

Everything is harder to see after dark
Adjust your headlights, carry a clear faceshield and have your game all the way on after dark, especially during commuter hours

Emotions in check?
To paraphrase Mr. Ice Cube, chickity-check yo self before you wreck yo self. Emotions are as powerful as any drug, so take inventory every time you saddle up. If you're mad, sad, exhausted or anxious, stay put.

Wear good gear
Wear stuff that fits you and the weather. If you're too hot or too cold or fighting with a jacket that binds across the shoulders, you're dangerous. It's that simple.

Leave the iPod at home
You won't hear that cement truck in time with Spinal Tap cranked to 11, but they might like your headphones in intensive care.

Learn to swerve
Be able to do two tight turns in quick succession. Flick left around the bag of briquettes, then right back to your original trajectory. The bike will follow your eyes, so look at the way around, not the briquettes. Now practice until it's a reflex.

Be smooth at low speeds
Take some angst out, especially of slow-speed maneuvers, with a bit of rear brake. It adds a welcome bit of stability by minimizing unwelcome weight transfer and potentially bothersome driveline lash.

Flashing is good for you
Turn signals get your attention by flashing, right? So a few easy taps on the pedal or lever before stopping makes your brake light more eye-catching to trailing traffic.

Intersections are scary, so hedge your bets
Put another vehicle between your bike and the possibility of someone running the stop sign/red light on your right and you cut your chances of getting nailed in half.

Tune your peripheral vision
Pick a point near the center of that wall over there. Now scan as far as you can by moving your attention, not your gaze. The more you can see without turning your head, the sooner you can react to trouble.

All alone at a light that won't turn green?
Put as much motorcycle as possible directly above the sensor wire-usually buried in the pavement beneath you and located by a round or square pattern behind the limit line. If the light still won't change, try putting your kickstand down, right on the wire. You should be on your way in seconds.

Don't troll next to-or right behind-Mr. Peterbilt
If one of those 18 retreads blows up-which they do with some regularity-it de-treads, and that can be ugly. Unless you like dodging huge chunks of flying rubber, keep your distance.

Take the panic out of panic stops
Develop an intimate relationship with your front brake. Seek out some safe, open pavement. Starting slowly, find that fine line between maximum braking and a locked wheel, and then do it again and again.

Make your tires right
None of this stuff matters unless your skins are right. Don't take 'em for granted. Make sure pressure is spot-on every time you ride. Check for cuts, nails and other junk they might have picked up, as well as for general wear.

Take a deep breath
Count to 10. Visualize whirled peas. Forgetting about some clown's 80 mph indiscretion beats running the risk of ruining your life, or ending it

04 1150 GSA need advise

Hello from canada, just decided to take the next step to an 04 1150 GSA. I`m selling my 03 650 gs ,great bike. A bmw dealer is giving me what I think is a good deal $8500 can. 20 k miles abs heated hand grips. Been 5` 7" you know what will be the problem,...to high for me ,but I really want it. Any body can tip me in how I can lowered a couple ". Is there a lower fac seat? Is this a good year or any problems w/this particular model? I need your advise on this beauty or beast. I`m getting ready for a trip to S america. Thanks all Mario

Veva, this is the most inappropriate of places to post a question on buying and selling a bike, start your OWN thread!

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
Assume that car across the intersection will turn across your bow when the light goes green, with or without a turn signal.
From an oldish Cycle World article I have:"I'm not paranoid; they're trying to kill me".

Yes, there is a half-naked girl on the billboard.
That's right, wait for something more important like a fully naked girl on a billboard!

Don't trust that deer whistle
Usually plugged with bug guts in under 5 minutes after installation anyways. In these parts they "might" be worth it in the very cold weather when the bugs "have stopped running" but the deer haven't. Still I'd have no confidence in it unless there was a definite audio component to the sound that humans could hear. I still wouldn't trust a deer to understand that this is a warning to "watch the road". Intelligence is not a deers strong suit. A deers strong suit is making other deer and increasing a regions insurance rates.

Master the slow U-turn
This also depends on what you mentioned about LOOKING where you want to go.

Who put a stop sign at the top of this hill?
Don't panic. Use the rear brake to keep from rolling back down. Use Mr. Throttle and Mr. Clutch normally-and smoothly-to pull away.
I think this is an excellent habit to be in at ALL stops. Both for the reason you mention, and also it keeps the brake light on to make you a bit more conspicuous day and night. I use it as my little informal gauge on if another rider "has a clue", in addition to apparel (or at least if they have a helmet on), do they pull up to a stop and drop both feet? Best just to be in this habit at all stops imho, leave your right foot on the peg. Also helps shorter riders balance, instead of tip-toed on both, usually you can flat-foot your left foot if that's the only one you put down. MSF used to teach this, not sure if they still do.

You won't hear that cement truck in time with Spinal Tap cranked to 11, but they might like your headphones in intensive care.
heh heh, speaking of spinal taps.......

Don't troll next to-or right behind-Mr. Peterbilt
OR next to it, either. Those tires will go flying any which way if they come apart suddenly. Listen for the telltale "wapwapwap" of one "fixing" to go flying and take appropriate action. Sometimes they just let loose with no warning and will bounce off the trucks mudflaps or trailer underside, or depending on the exact failure can fly sideways. Make your pass relatively quick on large vehicles. Those guys are almost to a person very professional and want to have a place to go in case of an emergency, just like you. Also keep in mind that in an emergency, if his choices add up to something like "take out this minivan or move to the left/right towards that motorcycle", I think you might expect to be very flat very quickly.
OH and often you can pick up on trouble with a truck or other large vehicles by smell. Many times from a mile or so behind you can pick up the scent of hot rubber or brakes, up the caution when approaching from the rear when you are sensing this.

Last edited:
Thanks Statdawg:

Things like this are always worth reading.

FWIW
1 second at 60MPH will only save 88 feet, not 150.
Picky

Good stuff.
Much of the material is a variation of "Street Strategies" by Hough.
Always worth repeating.
I wish we could make cagers read the above points, but that will not happen in my lifetime, nor yours.....

Check your mirrors
Do it every time you change lanes, slow down or stop. Be ready to move if another vehicle is about to occupy the space you'd planned to use

No argument here. Anything another vehicle passes you - either side - and you did not know it was there - you are fortunate to still be with us.

Check the mirrors continually - constantly - compulsively.

TCLOCK your ride

The TCLOCK check is second nature for many. Good reminder for all of us whether Iron Butt riders or just getting on our first scoot.

T-CLOCK Inspection Worksheet

T-CLOCK is a mnemonic developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for assisting you in doing a comprehensive pre-ride (or a pre-purchase) inspection of a motorcycle. It is easily memorized and very useful. The individual letters stand for the specific areas to check:

* T — Tires & Wheels
* C — Controls
* L — Lights
* O — Oil
* C — Chassis
* K — Kickstand

Expanded Explanation <-Click Here

Just print these pages and stick them on the wall near where you store your motorcycle (s), or stuff them in your tank bag or under the seat...

Last edited:
And I would love a 1200 but...

Mario said:
Hello from canada, just decided to take the next step to an 04 1150 GSA. I`m selling my 03 650 gs ,great bike. A bmw dealer is giving me what I think is a good deal $8500 can. 20 k miles abs heated hand grips. Been 5` 7" you know what will be the problem,...to high for me ,but I really want it. Any body can tip me in how I can lowered a couple ". Is there a lower fac seat? Is this a good year or any problems w/this particular model? I need your advise on this beauty or beast. I`m getting ready for a trip to S america. Thanks all Mario

Don't saddle up more than you can handle
If you weigh 175 lbs, avoid that 500kg cruiser. Get something lighter and more manageable.

Good deals only work when you buy a bike you can comfortably handle. There is a reason I ride long distances on a 250 or my old airhead.

Holly

Good tips,

About the classic stuck at a red light, I have exercised another option; turn right.
Sometimes nothing else will work, and if there is other traffic or law enforcement around, I'll just make a legal right turn on red, then turn around where it's safe and be back on my way in the direction I originally intended to go.

Boy this hit the high points for me, I'm saving it to my desktop to review again periodically. Thanks!

Thanks for the reminder, Statdawg - I started reading the thread from the begining, and was startled to see Paul Bachorz' posts - then realized this was an old post. Got reminded of Paul, too! A two-fer.

Best,
Muriel

Thanks for the reminder, Statdawg - I started reading the thread from the begining, and was startled to see Paul Bachorz' posts - then realized this was an old post. Got reminded of Paul, too! A two-fer.

Best,
Muriel

Two Bumps: one for this list of things to remember as we northerners scrape off some of the rust we got over a too-long winter. And, the second 'bump' was seeing Paul's posts. Startled? yes, somewhat also. - Bob

ALWAYS go to the bathroom before you leave on a ride...Brewmeister

+1

One of my riding buddies spent almost a year recuperating from an accident that was precipitated by a pit stop - and it was just a low speed shunt. Two BMWs were wiped out, and my buddy now walks with a cane.

The lesson learned from that incident was that, when riding in a group and you need to slow down for some reason, do it very slowly, so that any riders behind you, who may not be paying perfect attention, have more time to react to your change in speed.

Last edited:
often you can pick up on trouble with a truck or other large vehicles by smell. Many times from a mile or so behind you can pick up the scent of hot rubber or brakes, up the caution when approaching from the rear when you are sensing this.

The smell of diesel is another one I pay attention to. I'm extra careful with any wet patches on the road whenever I get that smell, especially if there are any sharp corners where a vehicle could have sprayed the road from a faulty fuel filler cap.

I always remember what the Phone Company always drilled into us and I have found it true and most useful.
"If you can not see them , they can not see you" Refering to eye contact.

Mike

+1

The lesson learned from that incident was that, when riding in a group and you need to slow down for some reason, do it very slowly, so that any riders behind you, who may not be paying perfect attention, have more time to react to your change in speed.

Must say I disagree with Rinty on this one. While "staggered" formation may be a good idea in town, once you are out on the open road, try to leave more than two seconds between you and the bike ahead of you. You plan your own cornering lines and, if you are distracted for a split second when he has to get on the brakes, you have time to react.

By the same token, if another rider is following you too closely, move over and wave him past. Then maybe have a firm conversation at the next coffee break. This happened to me a couple months ago in New Zealand. We were on a challenging (for me) gravel road, moving over across deep gravel was not an attractive option, and the guy behind me was only a second or so behind my bike. When we stopped, I explained in language both heated and profane that if I managed to drop the bike, the last thing either of us needed was for him to ride over me. He couldn't seem to grasp the concept that he was needlessly endangering both of us. Since he was unwilling to change, I made sure he tailgated another rider for the rest of the tour.

Good to remember that your riding buddies can be every bit as dangerous as those anonymous cagers. Maybe you can educate your buddies; maybe not. But your safety is always YOUR responsibility.

Back