• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2024 National Rally: REDMOND Oregon

3rd Black Hills Rendezvous "Non-Rally"For those of you coming to Redmond from the East please think about joining us in Spearfish SD (I-90 Exit 14) June 20-23 on your way home. Redmond - Boise ID - Stanley ID - West Yellowstone - Beartooth Pass- Red Lodge - Ten Sleep WY - Spearfish makes for a great trip.
The beginning and end of that route is planned for us, but I have concerns about Yellowstone that time of year. Is it chaos? Timed entry?

From Stanley we’ll head to Challis then down to Arco to visit the sail of the USS Hawkbill, sister ship of the sub I was on, and from there was thinking of passing south of Yellowstone to Cody, then over Beartooth before doing the 14/ALT14/16 playground. But if Yellowstone from the west isn’t bad…

The beginning and end of that route is planned for us, but I have concerns about Yellowstone that time of year. Is it chaos? Timed entry?

From Stanley we’ll head to Challis then down to Arco to visit the sail of the USS Hawkbill, sister ship of the sub I was on, and from there was thinking of passing south of Yellowstone to Cody, then over Beartooth before doing the 14/ALT14/16 playground. But if Yellowstone from the west isn’t bad…
In late May early June Yellowstone will be busy but not crazy like July. Don't believe they have instituted timed entry but even if they do so long as you are through the gates early (before about 7 AM) when they open there are no issues. We did not make it to Tetons/Yellowstone last year but we usually go every year. In 2022 there was not timed entry.

In late May early June Yellowstone will be busy but not crazy like July. Don't believe they have instituted timed entry but even if they do so long as you are through the gates early (before about 7 AM) when they open there are no issues. We did not make it to Tetons/Yellowstone last year but we usually go every year. In 2022 there was not timed entry.
Yellowstone is almost always a zoo in June-Aug, that said, it is always a good ride as long as you don't have a close encounter with a Bison which are prone to walking down the road while holding up two miles of cars behind them.

Yellowstone is almost always a zoo in June-Aug, that said, it is always a good ride as long as you don't have a close encounter with a Bison which are prone to walking down the road while holding up two miles of cars behind them.
Yes but late May / early June is not too bad lots of stuff does not open until June. July and August are another story for sure.

Yes but late May / early June is not too bad lots of stuff does not open until June. July and August are another story for sure.
This is very true. Only the weekends/holidays are a caveat in late May & early June. You can tell by looking at park lodging availability.
I'm riding through on Thursday, June 6th as planned. Cody-East Entrance with the lake ride route into Faithful.
Then out southbound, past Jackson for Hoback Junction. Just a 245 mile touring day, allowing time for some look-see.
Friday dawns with Idaho's open roads.

This is very true. Only the weekends/holidays are a caveat in late May & early June. You can tell by looking at park lodging availability.
I'm riding through on Thursday, June 6th as planned. Cody-East Entrance with the lake ride route into Faithful.
Then out southbound, past Jackson for Hoback Junction. Just a 245 mile touring day, allowing time for some look-see.
Friday dawns with Idaho's open roads.
The East (Cody) entrance is my absolute favorite. Gardener is not bad but the ride out of Yellowstone into Cody is awesome.

For many traveling to Redmond this early June, from points back east.
Early June isn’t summertime through the mountain zone.
Today I ran across a commercial campground in Stanley Idaho that doesn’t open until June 7th.
Many of the popular riding routes are not always open. Snow pack, floods & slides.
Plan accordingly.

From the Big Sur State Parks page on FB (for any that were considering CA Hwy 1 south of Monterey Bay):

SOUTHERN BIG SUR HIGHWAY 1 SLIDES UPDATE
Date: Friday, April 12, 2024
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
UPDATE #5
UPDATED ESTIMATES FOR REOPENINGS OF THREE SLIDES ON HIGHWAY 1
MONTEREY COUNTY – Crews continue to make progress with repairs at three major slides on Highway 1, the first of which is located some six miles south of Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.
The Dolan Point Slide (Post Mile 29.5) is the northernmost of the three slides. Due to additional measures being required for rockfall mitigation, Highway 1 at the Dolan Point Slide is now estimated to reopen in mid-May. Next week, crews will blast large rocks on the slope above the roadway which were exposed when debris material was removed. The reopening will follow installation of a cable net drapery system over the face of the slope above the roadway.
Repairs at Regent’s Slide (PM 27.8 ) are still expected to be completed 100 working days after crews initiate repairs. All environmental clearances are nearing approval, and with the approach of drier weather conditions, a start date is feasible within the next three weeks. Given these conditions the estimate for reopening Highway 1 at Regent’s Slide is early fall of this year.
Due to delays caused by the 2024 winter storms and additional slide locations along the coastal highway, it is now estimated that Highway 1 at Paul’s Slide (PM 22) will reopen in summer 2024. Crews are making cuts in the slope to prepare for final alignment of the roadway. Survey and design of the final alignment, installation of new drainage systems, and preparation for roadway reconstruction will also begin in the coming weeks.
Daily convoys continue through Paul’s Slide and a midday convoy has been added. In order to allow for students north of Paul’s Slide to attend a full school day, a new convoy schedule will be in effect starting Monday April 15, with convoys at 7:45 am, 1 pm, and 4:15 pm.
Note that as roadway construction and drainage installations accelerate in the coming weeks, it is anticipated that the 1 pm convoy may be eliminated so that the final push to reopen the roadway can proceed with minimal stoppages.

1713399288973.png

The Rally website says that the Seminar schedule is full. So why not post it? Seems logical to me, or is there something I am missing?
Max

The Rally website says that the Seminar schedule is full. So why not post it? Seems logical to me, or is there something I am missing?
Max
I am going to guess that the list of seminars and presenters is "full" but the specific room/location assignments have not been finalized.

Back