• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 R1200RT - Lowering Suspension

jbtex

If you have been following our journey into the world of the R1200RT, you know that my wife and I are the excited owners of new 2018 bikes. We both came from a Honda CTX700 (and I still have the '04 R1150R for a little while longer.) The CTX is an entirely different bike, of course. The seating and foot position alone is something new to get used to, especially for my wife.

She is comfortable with the bike, the handling, and thoroughly loves riding it. We have her on the lowest setting of the low seat, which she can comfortably put her feet down on the ground, but not wholly flat foot it. I want to get her there though. Already added the Wunderlich Seat Height Adjustment Kit, which made a difference, but I feel that we can do more.

I talked with Scott @ Bob's BMW about lowering the suspension, and his recommendation was to go with the Wilbers front and rear shocks, which even work with the bike's ESA. He indicated that we would gain about an inch, which would be perfect for her.

Before we spend the time and money on the modification (she'll be without a bike for a minimum of three weeks), I am curious whether anyone has done it with the Wilbers lowering kit and what their experience is with it. The biggest concern is the handling of the bike compared to the stock suspension. Would love to hear thoughts.

Lowering the suspension an inch is pretty drastic. It would most definitely have an impact on handling. I too am vertically challenged and have learned to deal with not being totally flat footed on my RT. Think in terms 1/4 inches. Even a quarter inch will make a huge difference. One of the steps I took was having a custom seat made which is much narrower in front than the stock BMW seats. Much more comfortable and makes a significant difference in being able to put both feet on the ground. Some I know add thicker soles to the bottom of their boots. Might want to try that. A lot less expensive than new suspension. Best of luck.
Chuck
Also a former CTX owner..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey my friend (from the CTX forum) ... there was a thread here or on the bmwlt.com forums about doing this. The bottom line was they were extremely happy with the results. If I can find the thread I'll post a link but try searching and you my find it.

Ride Safe!

Lowering the suspension an inch is pretty drastic. It would most definitely have an impact on handling. I too am vertically challenged and have learned to deal with not being totally flat footed on my RT. Think in terms 1/4 inches. Even a quarter inch will make a huge difference. One of the steps I took was having a custom seat made which is much narrower in front than the stock BMW seats. Much more comfortable and makes a significant difference in being able to put both feet on the ground. Some I know add thicker soles to the bottom of their boots. Might want to try that. A lot less expensive than new suspension. Best of luck.
Chuck
Also a former CTX owner..

Seems like there are a number of riders who have made the transition from the CTX. Great to see! :)

May I ask who you used to make the custom seat for you? I assume that the OEM seat pan was used?

Hey my friend (from the CTX forum) ... there was a thread here or on the bmwlt.com forums about doing this. The bottom line was they were extremely happy with the results. If I can find the thread I'll post a link but try searching and you my find it.

Ride Safe!

Will definitely look for it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quite amazing to see a community of riders who have made the rounds in some of the same forums! :)

Call Ted Porter at the Beemer shop and talk suspension with him. If for nothing else the education you will receive and estimate on cost.

Three weeks with out a bike is a long time for a shock swap. The rear goes off to Ted Porter, he flips your DESA control over to your new shock, sends you the front and rear shock back and it is done.

Even if you can not wrench call him and see what he says about your requirements. He is super at figuring out what people need based on their wants.

Be aware if you lower the bike you need to lower at least the side stand and unless your are a body building beast the center stand also. With a lower bike the "regular" side stand will hold the bike too upright and a mouse fart will blow it over.

All I can tell you with a 30" inseam I absolutely love my GS low with a Russel Day Long seat.

Thanks, Lee! Very helpful input indeed. I will give Ted a call for sure.

And roger that on the side and center stands.

I had Ted Porter lower my 16 RT. With a 29" inseam and a Russell Day Long seat it was just uncomfortable and difficult to maneuver in parking lots, etc. I dropped it a couple of times when it was fully loaded. He recommended the Tractive shocks. I sent in the rear and he fit the new shocks to my ESA system. Turnaround was pretty quick and I did it last winter so I had no downtime. I installed them myself without a problem.
They really transformed the experience. I'm now flat footed and I while I ride pretty aggressively, I don't perceive any loss in handling. I had to remove my suburban peg lowering brackets for lean clearance but found I didn't really miss them, even on long 600 mile days. As others have stated, I had to shorten both the side and center stands about .75". Not a problem for me since I have welding experience but any metal fab shop could do it easily.
To sum up, I'm super happy with the arrangement. It's pricey at about 2 grand but I felt it was money well spent.

This is where ordering a factory lowered bike is a bargain. $250 gets you different shocks, side, and center stands, together with BMW engineering.

This is where ordering a factory lowered bike is a bargain. $250 gets you different shocks, side, and center stands, together with BMW engineering.

That would indeed be the case. Completely agree!

The math looks a little different when dealing with new old stock 2018's, which the dealer already has on the showroom floor and is eager to get out the door. Considering the MSRP of a 2019 factory lowered bike we'd need to order and the price of the left-over bikes we bought, given what we paid for the two bikes a $2k+ aftermarket lowering of the suspension still puts us way ahead. :)

Seems like there are a number of riders who have made the transition from the CTX. Great to see! :)

May I ask who you used to make the custom seat for you? I assume that the OEM seat pan was used?

Yes, Seth Laam in Redding, Ca. You find his website if you do search. He has done several seats for me including the CTX.
Ted Porter is definitely the shock guru. Had him replace shocks on my 11 RT. Knows his stuff.

Yes, Seth Laam in Redding, Ca. You find his website if you do search. He has done several seats for me including the CTX.
Ted Porter is definitely the shock guru. Had him replace shocks on my 11 RT. Knows his stuff.

Ha! Small world. We had him also build seats for our two CTXs and my wife and I already talked about sending a pan to him for her bike. :)

Can you get a factory lowered 2019 RT? I didn't think the option was available in 2016.

It not offered as an option for the 2014-2018 that I'm aware of but if I'm wrong a Shift-Cam will be in my garage sooner rather than later! My '13 is factory lowered and it fits me perfectly.

Ah... I have a 2017 GS, factory lowered model, so I assumed you could get an RT lowered as well.

The Wethead RT does not have a factory-lowered option. There are aftermarket solutions at substantial cost (shocks, center and side stands) but not a factory one.

Back