• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RT. Top Case "standard" or Add on?

rick601

Trading my RT and trying to decide if the top case is included in the dealers used book values. It came somewhat loaded but I don't recall if that top case was part of the trim line or something extra. The dealer has said I can take off any add-ons. If he is going straight off book value I don't want to just throw in the case if it isn't in his equation. I'd rather ask here first...then perhaps mention it to him...or just sell it separate.

Last edited:
Trading my RT and trying to decide if the top case is included in the dealers used book values. It came somewhat loaded but I don't recall if that top case was part of the trim line or something extra. The dealer has said I can take off any add-ons. If he is going straight off book value I don't want to just throw in the case if it isn't in his equation. I'd rather ask here first...then perhaps mention it to him...or just sell it separate.

[edit] looks like I butchered the word "standard" in the title...can't edit it LOL

If you go to your local dealer website and build a new RT, is the case an add-on or part of a package? (I *think* the RT top case is part of a package, as isn't it wired for keyless?)

Edit: Looks like it might come with a basic topcase, and the painted "touring" case is extra...

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/tour/r1250rt/accessories.html

Hmm. Its listed as a “storage accessory “. So in 2022 its an add on - 6 years ago maybe also. Good suggestion rockrat. Thanks

On a 2016 RT, any top case would be an option so not in used bike values unless otherwise stated.

The top case is and always has been a DEALER Option. I traded in my 14R1200RT on a 22R1250RT, I kept my central locking top case with brake light. The dealer re-keyed the lock to match the new bike key. Back in 2014 49L case was only sold in generic silver (some had them custom painted to match the bike), I think it looks good on my 2022 Option 719 Mineral White Metallic bike. (You may of been able to get a painted one but it would of been a color of a K1600)

Keep the top case, sell it here in the marketplace.
Keep a key, or remove the lock core before you give up the keys.

Back