• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RT Cruise Control Issue

mtzgrr1951

Need some help please. Cruise control tech issue. 2016 with 91,000 trouble free miles until now. The cruise control sporadically drops out for no apparent reason. It sets and operates perfectly for dozens of miles and then just stops. Reset, and it will carry on perfectly for many miles. Problem is that it does not “throw a code” for the GS911 or for the BMW shop computer. I have taken it to the BMW shop only to get a giant shoulder shrug. I have exhausted my options. I have swapped left and right bar switches as well as throttle twist grip with my wife’s RS. Did not solve the problem. I have flushed and bleed the ABS unit multiple times. Replaced the clutch switch (there are no switches on the front or rear brake). I have also check for loose wires to the degree that I can access.

Has anybody else out there experienced a similar issue? Fix suggestions? Frankly, we are all stumped at this point.

Need some help please. Cruise control tech issue. 2016 with 91,000 trouble free miles until now. The cruise control sporadically drops out for no apparent reason. It sets and operates perfectly for dozens of miles and then just stops. Reset, and it will carry on perfectly for many miles. Problem is that it does not “throw a code” for the GS911 or for the BMW shop computer. I have taken it to the BMW shop only to get a giant shoulder shrug. I have exhausted my options. I have swapped left and right bar switches as well as throttle twist grip with my wife’s RS. Did not solve the problem. I have flushed and bleed the ABS unit multiple times. Replaced the clutch switch (there are no switches on the front or rear brake). I have also check for loose wires to the degree that I can access.

Has anybody else out there experienced a similar issue? Fix suggestions? Frankly, we are all stumped at this point.

I had the same symptoms on a K1600GT. It was the cruise control switch.

One of the Controls?

Just a guess, but it sounds like one of the "go to standby" signals is incorrectly getting sent to the cruise controller.

By this I mean, it thinks the front or rear brake has been activated, or the clutch lever pulled, or the throttle forced closed.

Because a bunch of people have had issues with the throttle sensor cable connector coming lose, I think I'd try that first.

I'd be opening, cleaning and reconnecting wiring connectors and/or wiggling the clutch and front brake levers to see if those switches seem to be working properly.

At least for the clutch and brake levers, you should be able to test them with a multimeter to see if the can be made to improerly "close" by jiggling or vibraion.

The cruise on my 2018 R1200RT was dropping out. I removed the clutch lever assembly from the handle bar to have better access to the switches, and removed the switch assembly from the clutch perch. I cleaned up up with some contact cleaner and remounted the switch assembly. I have put on 500-600 miles since and no more dropping off. I am not sure if the switches were actually dirty, or just the mechanism. There was some dirt built up on the switch levers.

The switches are held on by a tiny screw, maybe a T5 Torx.

Just a guess, but it sounds like one of the "go to standby" signals is incorrectly getting sent to the cruise controller.

By this I mean, it thinks the front or rear brake has been activated, or the clutch lever pulled, or the throttle forced closed.

Because a bunch of people have had issues with the throttle sensor cable connector coming lose, I think I'd try that first.

I'd be opening, cleaning and reconnecting wiring connectors and/or wiggling the clutch and front brake levers to see if those switches seem to be working properly.

At least for the clutch and brake levers, you should be able to test them with a multimeter to see if the can be made to improerly "close" by jiggling or vibraion.

Thank you for you consideration of the issue. I too have wiggled and jiggled and tapped all controls. I have checked and cleaned the throttle e control cable end at the twist end. Time to dig down and find the other end. Thanks again

Thank you for you consideration of the issue. I too have wiggled and jiggled and tapped all controls. I have checked and cleaned the throttle e control cable end at the twist end. Time to dig down and find the other end. Thanks again

Any chance the tech can tell you want conditions cause the cruise control to cut out? I was wondering if there might be a condition that CC monitors that might be less obvious - like the pulses off the ABS rings on the wheels. Or some signal from the ECU. Just a thought....

Cruise Control Drop Out Problem Solved

Cruise control problem solved! A few weeks ago I posted about an issue with my cruise control dropping out randomly on my 2016 RT with 92,000miles. Thank you for all who took the time to offer suggestions. As I originally posted I was able to eliminate the clutch switch, it was none of the bar switches, nor was I inadvertently touching either brake. Note, the 2016 RT does not have switches on the front or rear brake. I used electronic contact cleaner to throughly rinse the plug end of both front and rear speed sensors where they tie into the main wiring harness. Problem still existed. Spent $200 at the local BMW Motorrad shop, they just gave a big shoulder shrug.

One evening I was browsing through my Haynes manual and noticed that there is actually a spec of 0.1 - 1.4 mm air gap between the front speed sensor and the speed sensor ring. Mine was 1.8 mm. I shimmed out the speed sensor ring and brought the air gap down to 0.9 mm. Problem solved! Cruise control works perfectly now for over 1,000 miles on multiple rides!

BMW mechanic speculated that perhaps the front speed sensor was becoming weaker over time and could no longer measure the ring accurately at the prevailing sensor to ring gap. The computer would occasionally see two differing measurement between front and rear speed sensor and drop the cruise control.

I felt a bit apprehensive telling the mechanic about shimming out the speed sensor ring. He just looked at me and said, “Hey, fixed is fixed!”

Back