• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RTW Clutch Microswitch gone bad?

ebell

On a circuitous route from Seattle to Springfield, and my 2016 RTW now only regularly starts when in neutral.

Under normal circumstances, I usually start the bike with clutch pulled and bike in first gear but now, more often than not for the past two days, I have to put the bike in Neutral to fire her up. Couldn't have happened at a better time.

I've heard/read that to remedy problem there are two clutch switches that need to be replaced, two because the bike has cruise control. Can anyone confirm? Also, anyone that's at the rally care to share some wisdom so I can get home to the wife and dog?

Me and the bike are still rolling, in Wyoming right now.

Instead of thinking that a switch has gone bad, I'd recommend just disconnecting and reconnecting the junction in the wiring right at the clutch lever switch.

Something to try that doesn't cause you to have to go to a shop or wait for parts.

Hope this helps.

Instead of thinking that a switch has gone bad, I'd recommend just disconnecting and reconnecting the junction in the wiring right at the clutch lever switch.

Something to try that doesn't cause you to have to go to a shop or wait for parts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

If it is the microswitch, its an easy part to get and replace. You just need to be sure that you get the right replacement because bikes with cruise control have a part with 2 microswitches instead of just 1.

I ordered mine from Max BMW a few months ago and received it in a few days. It took just a couple of minutes to swap it out.

I pulled the connector out and wiped off a lot of fine black dirt that had accumulated over the years. Bike starts as normal with clutch and in gear. So far so good. I was truly surprised how dirty it was around the connector.

Glad it has helped so far.

You’re getting off easy though, I don’t drink anymore and I’m not going to the rally.

Maybe we’ll meet someday.

If it is the microswitch, its an easy part to get and replace. You just need to be sure that you get the right replacement because bikes with cruise control have a part with 2 microswitches instead of just 1.

I ordered mine from Max BMW a few months ago and received it in a few days. It took just a couple of minutes to swap it out.

I think the problem could have something to do with wet weather. Coming over the passes from Seattle and beyond, the rain didn't stop until Bozeman, MT. The problems were consistent during wet weather.

This morning, after a crazy heavy rain storm in South Dakota, the flashes of lightning were like bright camera flashes in the tent, the thunder could wake up the Senate, and the wind tried to flatten those aluminium tent poles, the first morning-attempt to start the bike with clutch and first failed. But everything, including the tent and (I'm guessing) the clutch dried out, and all was good today for over 500 miles with multiple starts.

@alegerlotz If you're at the rally, I'd like to check out what you did to replace the bad parts. Nothlng's better than a tactile demo. And if you still imbibe, the offer of a pint is still valid.

@alegerlotz If you're at the rally, I'd like to check out what you did to replace the bad parts. Nothlng's better than a tactile demo. And if you still imbibe, the offer of a pint is still valid.

I will not be at the Rally. I went last year, but the schedule/location didn't mesh with my personal schedule this year.

Replacing the part was quite simple. It has a single torx head screw that is either a T10 or T15. You remove the connector that you already have experience with, then remove that single screw and pull out the part. Replacement is the reverse. Super easy. While the old part was out, I sprayed a bit of compressed air in there to remove any dust that had accumulated between the microswitches and the clutch lever.

Enjoy the rally!

Back