• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 R1200RT stator failure by ldg

The stator on Annie’s 2014 F800GS failed at around 30,000 miles. Luckily it was under warranty and cost us nothing. Even the newer version can die young.

Before we make a mountain out of a molehill (possibly too late for that) and considering we're in the Wetheads thread, I'd like to know how many folks have suffered an alternator failure on their bikes. Anecdotal evidence and past experience with other models need not apply. ;)

Before we make a mountain out of a molehill (possibly too late for that) and considering we're in the Wetheads thread, I'd like to know how many folks have suffered an alternator failure on their bikes. Anecdotal evidence and past experience with other models need not apply. ;)

I have been told by a mod that only a few hundred members frequent this entire forum. Of those only some fraction frequent the Wetheads sub-forum. Of those many (most?) will not yet have accumulated enough mileage to experience a failed stator. Of those who have, not all will have seen fit to report the failure here. Statistically speaking the presence of this one report in a rather small sample suggests that there is a notable failure rate out there.

If you visit other fora frequented by a larger population you will find other reported failures. For instance a search for "stator" in the Boxer sub-forum over at ADVrider will yield a number of posts related to Wethead stator failures.

Another indicator is to simply Google "R1250GS" + "stator". The number of aftermarket vendors of stators suggests that there is a demand for them.

Of course there is no way to quantify the incidence rate since only BMW would have sufficient information to do so but I don't imagine that they will be sharing that.

I do not think we have anyone on the forum that would have any data about the number of failures. Someone at BMW might be looking at the number of replacements that are ordered by dealers, or maybe the dealer's diagnostic computers produce error code reports, but I doubt that information will ever be shared.

If you rule out anecdotal evidence, what other data is available to consumers?

A common practice if one anticipates potential stator failure is to install a voltage monitor. Some install a voltmeter. There are also multi-colour LED monitors which is what i prefer. I installed a SparkBright Eclipse some years ago.
http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/battery-voltage-monitors.php

It was very easy to just glance at. If it shows a steady green then you are good to go. When I had my stator fail I had an early warning because the SparkBright changed from green to orange at idle. With the benefit of the warning I was able to avoid being stranded somewhere by a dead battery. In my case the failure was a winding shorted to ground.

The Wethead TFT will show voltage I believe.

If you rule out anecdotal evidence, what other data is available to consumers?

My error. By "anecdotal" I meant "my uncle has a friend who has a cousin who had a failure" type of evidence. I guess I'm looking for a response from owners who have had to replace their Wethead alternator.

Although Paul might be on the right track! :laugh

My error. By "anecdotal" I meant "my uncle has a friend who has a cousin who had a failure" type of evidence. I guess I'm looking for a response from owners who have had to replace their Wethead alternator.

Although Paul might be on the right track! :laugh

I haven't heard of but a couple and non was anyone I know personally. The original poster LDGROSENHEIDER had a letter published in the November issue of BMW ON (congratulations Larry), so the MOA isn't pushing it under the rug.

The engine comes out of the frame and the transmission is removed from the rear of the engine to access the alternator.

Are you serious? So glad I also own a 1990 R100 GS. It is a 30 minute job on that bike.

Designers...too much university.

IDK, what is worst, replacing a stator on early production LC or a burnt clutch on previous models? 🤔

Burnt clutch? If you know how to drive, you do not burn out a clutch. I never have in my 2 or 4 wheeled vehicles and some of them had over 330,000 kms on the original clutch.

It's still a big job. You need to remove the whole rear end. It's part of the design limitations of a boxer engine.

My point is that anyone saying they're glad they don't have a wethead because some early production models may need a big job is an exaggeration, just as saying I'm glad I don't have an oilhead or a camhead because replacing the clutch would be a big job. How many bikes have had their stator replaced and how many clutches?

Not that many.

It's still a big job. You need to remove the whole rear end. It's part of the design limitations of a boxer engine.

My point is that anyone saying they're glad they don't have a wethead because some early production models may need a big job is an exaggeration, just as saying I'm glad I don't have an oilhead or a camhead because replacing the clutch would be a big job. How many bikes have had their stator replaced and how many clutches?

Not that many.

Exactly. The clutch on pre wethead bikes is a wear item... it is guaranteed to need replacement at some point in the bike's life. The stator may fail, but it may not.

Exactly. The clutch on pre wethead bikes is a wear item... it is guaranteed to need replacement at some point in the bike's life.

So is a stator if you wait long enough, just like a clutch. Well since there are no moving parts to a stator, why would they fail, but they do. BTW, a clutch on a wethead can fail too due to wear.

Looking at this video, the stator replacement is such an easy job...hell I can do 5 to 10 clutches in the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIHytYbOmkI

Last edited:
Of course it can (and will because its a wear item), but it is accessed from the front, so it is much easier than splitting the bike apart.

Buddy, have you ever replaced a clutch on an airhead? It is easy...compared to the stator on the wethead shown in that video.

I sure hope the stator does not go on my R1200 GSA LC. Like I said, designers...too much university walking out with knowing nothing!

I can tell you the best system is the alternator on my R1150 GSA. It looks like a regular car-type alternator and considering where it is placed, it gets more cooling than if it was mounted in a vehicle. And as far as the alternator on my R80 G/S PD and R100 GS, I can replace the whole system (stator and rotor) in under 30 minutes and the clutch in a couple of hours, not that I ever needed to.

So why did the stator burn out at 1:24 in the video above...clearly shown. The insulation failed and it shorted to ground. Maybe something caused it to overheat, possibly loading the system with more than it can handle. Who knows. The stator failed in my friend's Honda, but at least you can get to it in minutes.

Back