• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 RT-- something clunking on bumps

brownie0486

I ride over even the slightest bump in the road, I hear this "clunk" which seems to be coming from under and maybe a little behind me.

I checked the center stand springs for tension, they aren't as strong as my 16RS center stand springs. I'm wondering if going over a bump even at slow speed would have the stand bouncing a little and making that noise.

I sit on the bike and bounce up and down on it, no noise, so it doesn't appear to be the shock [ which I checked and is NOT leaking ].

Any ideas from the members what else I should be looking at?

Thanks

You say springs so sounds like both are there. My 05 banged and on occasion , my GS does as well. There is a rubber bumper on it I believe.

Can you replicate condition and put your foot on step lightly?

You say springs so sounds like both are there. My 05 banged and on occasion , my GS does as well. There is a rubber bumper on it I believe.

Can you replicate condition and put your foot on step lightly?

I've put my foot on the center stand, used my hand to move it down and let it fly back with spring tension with my ear there at the suspect site of the issue. It doesn't make the same noise, but it isn't quiet about it either nor am I sitting on the bike as when riding it, so shock suspension would be different. I've checked the rubber bumper, doesn't look worn much if any at all.

On the RS, when I do the same, it bangs like hell like there's no bumper there at all. Yet I don't get any of that noise when going over a similar or same speed bump. There's a church around the corner that has a few of them where I do the slow speed skills practice.

The springs are very strong on the RS, quite a bit weaker on the RT [ my guestimate pushing on both sitting side by side ]. It's been there since I bought the RT, and like you mentioned, my 2012 GS would do the same thing more often than not.

I'm going to have my mechanic get his ear to ground level as I ride by him over one of the speed bumps in his lot. I'm really hoping he tells me it it's the center stand springs allowing it.

Oh, there's only one spring on the right side of the center stand, the left side doesn't show the same configuration so I'm going with it's just the one spring on this bike. Has a double hook end but is a single spring.

You could use a tie wrap or the like to hold the center stand firmly in the up position, then try riding over the bumps and see if the noise stops. Just an idea...

You could use a tie wrap or the like to hold the center stand firmly in the up position, then try riding over the bumps and see if the noise stops. Just an idea...

I'd thought of that as well, but where it's going in for service in 3 weeks, I'll let the mechanic figure it out.

Good suggestion, thanks

I have seen that with a loose shock bolt or an elongated shock mount hole due to a loose bolt. You can spray some W-40 on selected components (staying off the wheel of course) and see if it changes the noise.
OM

I have seen that with a loose shock bolt or an elongated shock mount hole due to a loose bolt. You can spray some W-40 on selected components (staying off the wheel of course) and see if it changes the noise.
OM

Thanks for that sir

I had a similar issue with my 2010 R1200RT. It was caused by me not rotating the muffler valve connector to it's correct position. This resulted in the center stand hitting the valve connector instead of the metal/rubber stop of the center stand

I had a similar issue with my 2010 R1200RT. It was caused by me not rotating the muffler valve connector to it's correct position. This resulted in the center stand hitting the valve connector instead of the metal/rubber stop of the center stand

My bumper is hitting the plate it's made to hit. Thanks for that insight however

Steve, just went and checked it again. It's two, one inside the other, that's why I reported it had two hooks but one spring.

Thanks for that as well.

Update, went to see the mechanic today on the clunking noise as described in my OP. It comes in for service in two weeks, so he told me zip tie the center stand and see if the noise is still there. If it isn't, he'll order a new OEM for me so he has it. If it doesn't solve the noise, then he has to look elsewhere, but he thinks my guess it's the center stand is correct.

I'll ride it tomorrow morning at the church lot down the street, hopefully it's just a new spring replacement.

Edited:

Clunk has disappeared. I zip tied the center stand up tight, took it for a ride last night and that noise is gone. My mechanics place is closed today, tomorrow I'll text him to order the dual spring in anticipation of the big service in a few weeks.

Thanks for the insights and suggestions everyone.

Last edited:
Back