• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT Rotated the engine backwards?

phil002

I was lying on my back on the garage floor trying to get a new alternator belt fully on the alt. pulley and I inadvertently rotated the engine backwards about a full turn. Sitting up, I realized my mistake and went back to clockwise rotation and was able to get the belt on. I have read several threads which suggest backward rotation can cause possible problems with cam chain, tensioner, value timing. Despite the warnings, I can not imagine a single backward rotation would be a problem. Everything looks correct with the valve train and timing alignment, but is there anything else I should check before starting? ... it's -15C outside, so I have time to figure this out.

I think rotating the engine in the proper direction should have cleared any problems you might have caused by turning backwards. I don't think turning backwards should cause any problems unless you have badly worn cam chains and tensioners. If you didn't feel anything like suddenly hard to turn I don't think you have any problems.

Frank

I think rotating the engine in the proper direction should have cleared any problems you might have caused by turning backwards. I don't think turning backwards should cause any problems unless you have badly worn cam chains and tensioners. If you didn't feel anything like suddenly hard to turn I don't think you have any problems.

Frank
Thanks, that is my thinking also, but I appreciate your input... Phil

You may also check to see if you have updated cam chain tensioners. The originals have 17mm hex head and the newer ones have 15mm. It's mainly the left side that causes problems. They help get rid of the chain slap noise right after cold startup. Just a thought.

Frank

Good thought, because I do have the cold start clank. My RT has 78,000km on it, of which I have put on about 25,000. But it also as a 15mm hex on the tensioner? Between what you suggested and what I have learned from various threads, I think I will order a new one and see if that helps. I have not taken the old one fully out yet, but once I got the tensioner loose with a wrench, I can turn it out easily with my fingers, which tells me there is not much spring load on it. ... Thanks

Back