• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 RT supplemental mirror install

motorefrob

Just thought I'd post this in case any RT owners are considering supplemental mirrors. I bought mine from Wunderlich. Yes, they were pricey $120. But, they work MUCH better (you can see a lot more) than the stock mirrors that come with the bike. I know a lot of you will say they don't need em (supplemental mirrors), just turn your head. But, I'm a USA Cycling moto ref and Marshal and during our races..sometimes half the race is in front of us and half is behind us. And, it's just important to see what's in front of us as it is behind us- at all times.

That isn't why I'm posting though (to justify the purchase), I'm posting to let other RT owners that are interested in purchasing and installing these mirrors on the bike on how to install them. You don't install them by sanding, drilling, tapping the holes that already exist for them (on top of the brake/clutch levers). I've seen threads on multiple forums where people were talking about doing this. You simply install the threaded stem of the mirror through the top of the stock hole that exists and work them back and forth until the threaded stem pops through the bottom of the hole. Then, you install the wave washer and "special nut"- as Wunderlich calls it- with a 5.5mm Allen wrench. It's a 5 minute job for both mirrors. I've read countless posts on forums where people have been reaming/sanding/drilling/tapping the holes out to insert the mirrors- and in most cases ruining everything. There are NO instructions that come with the mirrors and I haven't seen any photos on any forums. There is an installation video on the Wunderlich website (where you purchase the mirrors) but the bit on how you install these specific mirrors with the threaded end is at the very end of the video. Anyone that watches the video will see that the "clamp style" mirror instructions take up the first 2-3 minutes of the video and only the last 30 seconds gives you instructions on how to mount the ones I'm talking about- with the threaded end and special nut.

Hope this helps. Rob

Many of us have extra mirrors.
I installed K1200RS mirrors on my 07
I find them better looking than the GS style ones.
Easy install on my 07 since the holes for them are already part of the handle bars
They are also perfect to hold my Sena Remote control

First i was impressed way the mirrors are on the RT's.
However, shortly after i was riding it, i found them very
annoying. I use them pointed out to cover the blind spot,
and have installed a set of GS mirrors, the so called Mikey Mouse
ears! I bought them new from a RT owner who could not fit them on
his bike. Since am a machinist, i didn't think that would be a problem.
Had to make a sleeve to drive the drill to clear for the threaded part
of the mirror. Since that part is also rather short, had to clear some
long nuts to fit. So, in my case, was not just plug and play!
Yes, the KRS mirrors are nicer, but am happy with mine.

Back