• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200RT - fuel weeping from quick disconnects

dwh007

Hi all,

2009 R1200RT. Long story short - I removed the fuel tank, reinstalled the fuel tank, and she started right up. I thought everything was fine. I now realize I have fuel weeping out of the quick disconnects. What am I doing wrong? Is there some secret to getting these things back together? I have read about needing to be careful to not crack the plastic in the connectors, etc. I thought I was being careful. I don't see any damage/cracks. Any ideas? thank you.

I guess I should also say I am not totally convinced its the quick disconnect. it might be weeping out of the connection on top of the fuel pump too. is that likely? IMG_1665.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
If you haven’t yet replaced the male QD piece with a metal one, you may have a crack in the plastic that is starting to weep. Best get it replaced with a metal one from BMW, Colder Products, or the kit from Beemer Boneyard.

Also, it’s a good idea to periodically replace the o-rings and always lubricate them with a light grease or oil before reassembly. When lubed, the parts slide together more easily and give that reassuring “click” to let you know they are fully seated.

But yeah, definitely recommended to replace the plastic QDs, especially the male part as it’s the one that always fails.

Best,
DeVern

My guess is you either need a new O-ring (easy to pinch them if you aren't careful) or you have a crack. Sometimes it is easy to detect which and sometimes not so easy. You could swap the o-rings between the two different disconnects and see if the leak moves perhaps. Has the fuel pump recall been completed? The flange where the quick disconnect enters the pump is known to crack. If it hasn't been done then it would qualify for a new fuel pump and you could have the upgraded quick disconnects installed at the same time. I have details on most of this in my thread. I see a metal collar on the flange in your picture so it might have been done but worth verifying. The dealer can tell from your VIN if you don't know. Also you have to be careful locking the QD in place as I detail.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...l-Strip-2007&p=1233891&viewfull=1#post1233891

Thank you for the help. I'll start with some new o-rings and see if that corrects the situation. (yes, the fuel pump recall has been done.)

Thank you for the help. I'll start with some new o-rings and see if that corrects the situation. (yes, the fuel pump recall has been done.)

As suggested above apply a little light oil to the o-ring. Then make sure you hold the QD open when you mate them. Do not just forcibly push them together or you will ruin your new o-ring. Hold it open - push together male and female - release and listen for click lock.

Thanks for the help everyone. Some new o-rings, a little oil on them, and being more careful when reconnecting fixed my fuel leak issue.

Thanks for the help everyone. Some new o-rings, a little oil on them, and being more careful when reconnecting fixed my fuel leak issue.

Glad to hear it was a quick inexpensive fix. Good job. Definitely consider the upgraded QDs in the future. You won't be sorry.

As mentioned, check to see if your fuel pump assembly is needing replacement under the recall whether leaking or not.

Back