• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200GS Need replacement rear caliper Brembo slide pins @ 90,000 miles

mheinze78

Hello, my rear caliper slide pins have flat spotted and caused some quick wear on the rotor. Brembo and BMW have an agreement not to sell the pins even though they are detachable from the caliper. Any resources or aftermarket solutions out there? This has to affect thousands of bikes. Thanks

here is a good video. Fast forward to 11 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRZDmZl6nY&t=676s

This is not a problem unique to your generation of bike...it's a problem across all Boxer bikes starting with the brake design of the 2005 HexHead all the way up to and including the current 2024 models...all versions.

The real problem here is not the evidence you can clearly see as worn spots on the caliper bracket pin...but the matching wear on the much softer caliper body hole that the steel pin fits into.

There is no relief by simply replacing the caliper pin...either from another one that is not as worn, or trying to build the existing one up with welding then turning it down to original diameter on a lathe.
Both ways still cause the caliper to get into a bind whenever the brake pressure is applied to the rotating disk. I've tried.

The easy solution is to replace the caliper body and bracket with one that is either OEM new or from a salvage bike with very low miles.

Servicing the rear caliper pins is so important....I do this with most every 12k service I do on bikes that come into my shop or that I service out of my trailer when I'm doing traveling Tech Days.

Brad

This is not a problem unique to your generation of bike...it's a problem across all Boxer bikes starting with the brake design of the 2005 HexHead all the way up to and including the current 2024 models...all versions.

The real problem here is not the evidence you can clearly see as worn spots on the caliper bracket pin...but the matching wear on the much softer caliper body hole that the steel pin fits into.

There is no relief by simply replacing the caliper pin...either from another one that is not as worn, or trying to build the existing one up with welding then turning it down to original diameter on a lathe.
Both ways still cause the caliper to get into a bind whenever the brake pressure is applied to the rotating disk. I've tried.

The easy solution is to replace the caliper body and bracket with one that is either OEM new or from a salvage bike with very low miles.

Servicing the rear caliper pins is so important....I do this with most every 12k service I do on bikes that come into my shop or that I service out of my trailer when I'm doing traveling Tech Days.

Brad

Thanks Brad, I ride rather aggressively up here in the mountains, so I am aware of brake wear. What you mentioned makes a lot of sense. Its unfortunate that the components are not rebuildable.