• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200GS Lazy/weak starter

drambie

I will start by apologizing to you all if this is something I should know about and/or has been answered many times before. I am experiencing an intermittent issue starting my 2009 R1200GS when the engine (and the weather is really hot). The BMW dealer recently installed a brand new BMW battery (read expensive) to replace the original one which I thought was getting a bit weak. The bike has now 65,000 km or 40,000 miles. the dealer and I have checked at various occasions that the voltage at the battery is as it should with the key off, key on and also with the bike running so it appears that everything is OK with the battery and the charging system. When cold, the bike starts normally with the starter turning the engine over as you would expect. When the engine is hot, say after stopping for taking on fuel, the starter sounds like it will not be successful turning the engine over at all for say 0.5 to 1 second and then it does turn the engine over and the bike starts. Anyone hearing this, believes that they are about to witness a bike with a dead or weak battery. Yes I am running a set of PIAA's that are activated by the ignition but I make a point of turning them off before I kill the engine and the lazy starter syndrome appears to be independent of the driving lights being ON or OFF. I am curious to know if this is something common with the oilheads and if it is the sign that something more serious will eventually cause me to be stranded somewhere.

Thank you,

Dominique Rambie
Mississauga, ON

My first thought, grounds, grounds and more grounds

I always take the simple road for complaints like yours, check battery connections and then the battery. After that, I go after every ground connection and when in doubt, take it apart and clean it. It's mind boggling how a little "green" at a connection can make things FUBAR. And since you live in ON, the land of perpetual salt everywhere..............

You might have a dragging starter. To confirm that, you would need to get into voltage drops, current draw and the like. My preference is to do the simple stuff first before I got crazy and stressed reading meters and accumulating useless data when it could be as simple as a "green" connection. :ca

Sound exactly why I got a new starter on my 09 when it was still under warranty. If I remember correctly, the adhesive that holds the brushes in the starter softens in the heat and the brushes get firmly against the rotor. Not described well, but basically it will crank very slow when hot. Give it an hour or so and it cranks normally, right?

Anyway, I figured it was the battery when I took it in, but the battery was fine. I was skeptical when they said it was the started, but it was warranty work so no skin off my back. Sure enough, the problem went away. I've since heard that there were some bad starters in 2009. You and I are not the first I've heard had the same issue. Since it was a small number you don't see a lot of references to the issue on the internet like you do about ABS pumps and fuel strips.

That sounds exactly like the problem I appear to have. Unfortunately mine is definitely out of warranty so I will have to live with it until the starter gives up the ghost. Thanks for your reply

Well, the good news is that you can give it an hour or so to cool and it will start fine. So you should be able to muddle along. You might want to watch Beemerboneyard and eBay for used starters too.

A few things;

I have GSA also, '07 year at 110000m now. Two batteries so far. I have found when really hot outside, the batteries are weaker according to my voltmeter, they are indeed. BMW batteries have had a long history of less than the best battery choice one can make! Too many much better alternative batteries today can be had. And, I still run the last BMW battery they replaced under warranty, for about 3 years now, no issues yet. MY next will not be a BMW battery, as I have found the latest tech in batteries is here and BMW does not use it from factory. Ask around, research batteries and you'll be amazed where the battery tech has evolved into. Some weigh less than 2 lbs now, as we just bought one for another of our bikes and lasting 8 years plus is huge to me. Shorai lithium tech is in our KLR and performs so much better, un real. Its made for BMWs too. Randy

Back