• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS rear brake pad pin removal

k547

2003 K1200RS with integral brakes. I have both the Factory and Clymer service manuals, regarding removing the 2 rear brake pad pins:

"drift (tap) the retaining pins out from the inner side (towards bike) to the outer side of the caliper and remove completely by grasping with pliers"

when tapped with a large brass drift punch and a hammer both my pins slide 1/16" - 1/8" and then are quite solid without any further movement.

any comments or suggestions?

2003 K1200RS with integral brakes. I have both the Factory and Clymer service manuals, regarding removing the 2 rear brake pad pins:

"drift (tap) the retaining pins out from the inner side (towards bike) to the outer side of the caliper and remove completely by grasping with pliers"

when tapped with a large brass drift punch and a hammer both my pins slide 1/16" - 1/8" and then are quite solid without any further movement.

any comments or suggestions?

Look carefully at the pins. One end is round and has a shallow groove slightly in from the end of the pin. The other end is observably tapered. To remove the pin you need to tap on the end that is tapered. What holds the pins in place is a small metal ring around the pin.

Be sure you are tapping on the tapered end of the pin. Somebody might have inserted the pins backwards, so to speak. I am not sure that is even possible but I have seen weirder things.

thanks Paul,
the pins were oriented correctly, up until now I have been using a small soft brass punch and a little machinist's hammer. this morning I moved on to a drop of Aerokroil and a big steel "alignment punch" used with a standard sized hammer and that combination moved the pins pretty easily.
thanks for your help!

thanks Paul,
the pins were oriented correctly, up until now I have been using a small soft brass punch and a little machinist's hammer. this morning I moved on to a drop of Aerokroil and a big steel "alignment punch" used with a standard sized hammer and that combination moved the pins pretty easily.
thanks for your help!

Good job!

Back