• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 1150 over reving help !!!!

bikerboy108

bikerboy108
OK Buddy put a new flywheel and starter on his 1150 which ran fine before he started...
In order to do this it was a pain in the ass to remove and replace air box and fuel regulator that sit in the way
SO they start bike up and it revs like CRAZY !!!
they check cables and plenty of slack
NOW HERE IS THE CONFUSING PART
Throttle plates are CLOSED As its reving like crazy .At first thought maybe fuel regulator screwed up BUT no matter how much fuel u pump in you still need AIR ? Correct? how is air getting in if throttle body plates CLOSED ??
Any Rational Thoughts
Vacuum leak somewhere ?

Air is leaking between the throttle bodies and the heads.

thats where my head is at also .. I figured it CANNOT rev without AIR.. I assume? the sensor picks up air flow and feeds it more Gas..

Could Air be leaking in thru that fuel pressure regulator thats behind the airbox .. they did mess around back there when replacing the flywheel..Had to move all that out of the way and back again.. They never messed around by throttle bodies / Heads ?

thats where my head is at also .. I figured it CANNOT rev without AIR.. I assume? the sensor picks up air flow and feeds it more Gas..

Could Air be leaking in thru that fuel pressure regulator thats behind the airbox .. they did mess around back there when replacing the flywheel..Had to move all that out of the way and back again.. They never messed around by throttle bodies / Heads ?

You can ignore everything in the air or fuel path prior to the throttle bodies. In normal operation what increases engine speed is the opening of the throttle body throttle plates allowing increased air flow. The increased air flow is then matched with fuel signaled by the throttle position sensor and the pulses fired by the ECU (Engine Control Unit) triggered by the HES (Hall Effect Sensor).

In case of increased RPM it is caused either by the opening of the throttle plates or by some other surreptitious air flow reaching the head and intake valves. So the possible culprits - some of which might be already eliminated:

1. A throttle plate sticking open beyond idle.
2. The air bypass (big brass) screws way out of adjustment.
3. Failed throttle plate shaft O rings
4. A leaking or disconnected hose or cap at the vacuum takeoff ports at the bottom of the throttle bodies.
5. A bad, leaking connection between the throttle body and head.
6. A cracked head allowing air to reach the intake valves.

That is about all I can think of. This is an air flow issue, not a fuel delivery issue. And it is an issue from the throttle bodies to the combustion chamber. Everything before the throttle bodies doesn't count.

My hunch is that in removing the air tubes between the throttle bodies and the air box the positioning of the air tubes and the connection between one or both of the throttle bodies and the heads was disturbed. Wiggle this, wiggle that and pretty soon you have a problem. Re-secure the throttle bodies to the heads and I think the problem will go away. Also check those vacuum stubs on the bottom of the throttle bodies.

You can ignore everything in the air or fuel path prior to the throttle bodies. In normal operation what increases engine speed is the opening of the throttle body throttle plates allowing increased air flow. The increased air flow is then matched with fuel signaled by the throttle position sensor and the pulses fired by the ECU (Engine Control Unit) triggered by the HES (Hall Effect Sensor).

In case of increased RPM it is caused either by the opening of the throttle plates or by some other surreptitious air flow reaching the head and intake valves. So the possible culprits - some of which might be already eliminated:

1. A throttle plate sticking open beyond idle.
2. The air bypass (big brass) screws way out of adjustment.
3. Failed throttle plate shaft O rings
4. A leaking or disconnected hose or cap at the vacuum takeoff ports at the bottom of the throttle bodies.
5. A bad, leaking connection between the throttle body and head.
6. A cracked head allowing air to reach the intake valves.

That is about all I can think of. This is an air flow issue, not a fuel delivery issue. And it is an issue from the throttle bodies to the combustion chamber. Everything before the throttle bodies doesn't count.

My hunch is that in removing the air tubes between the throttle bodies and the air box the positioning of the air tubes and the connection between one or both of the throttle bodies and the heads was disturbed. Wiggle this, wiggle that and pretty soon you have a problem. Re-secure the throttle bodies to the heads and I think the problem will go away. Also check those vacuum stubs on the bottom of the throttle bodies.

thanks will do

Not sure about the 1150, but common mistake on the R1200C is over tightening of the intake lines between the throttle body and the cylinder head.
Too much pressure on the hose clamps causes the plastic tube to collapse (sometimes in the back where you can't see it), creating a big gap for air to sneak in.

Keep in mind, the C has the throttle body inside the air breather box, so there's a good 6 inches of hose between the throttle body and the cylinder... so LOTS of chances for air leaks.

Back