• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R850R -- Anybody know anything about Fox Clickers?

senseamidmadness

Neglected Bike Adopter
I have a pair of Fox Mono-Clickers that came on my 96 R1100RT that I'd like to adapt for use on my R850R.

What does the forum braintrust know about these shocks? Info is very difficult to find on them online. Fox doesn't have any supporting documentation on their website, and the only place I can find about any dealers that sold them is a Newport Cycle Parts webpage that hasn't been updated since 2003.

I was able to find what I think are the correct Fox part numbers via a master chart from Carver Performance.
Front should be 997-14-023-B or 897-14-023-B, and rear should be 997-14-024-A or 897-14-024-A.

Edit: What I'd really, really like to find is a chart of valve shim packs for these shocks, or any info on what available Fox valve shim packs fit these.

Attachments

• IMG_20230207_1633054.jpg
    IMG_20230207_1633054.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20230207_1633131.jpg
    IMG_20230207_1633131.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20230207_1633535.jpg
    IMG_20230207_1633535.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 142
Fox stopped making motorcycle shocks quite some time ago. From the pics it looks like you are due for a rebuild? I’d suggest contacting Ed Sorbo at Lindeman Engineering—he can recommend any changes needed in springing or damping if you supply the base data he needs.

http://www.le-suspension.com/

I sent him the Fox from my R80ST and he did a fine job on the rebuild. No vested interest, just a satisfied customer.

Best,
DeVern

I should've mentioned that -- these are definitely being rebuilt before they get bolted to any machine!

Thanks for the info. I'll get in touch with Ed and see if he's in the business of giving valving advice. I've already ordered all the parts to rebuild and re-spring these myself and already have the tools on hand, but I'm a mechanic and not an engineer.

twin clickers

I should've mentioned that -- these are definitely being rebuilt before they get bolted to any machine!

Thanks for the info. I'll get in touch with Ed and see if he's in the business of giving valving advice. I've already ordered all the parts to rebuild and re-spring these myself and already have the tools on hand, but I'm a mechanic and not an engineer.

Race Tech will rebuild them as well. I used them to rebuild and re spring a FOX mono shock back in the day. https://www.racetech.com

GMD Computrack Atlanta is an independent shop NW of Atlanta, that may be fairly convenient to you in central TN. They cleaned and rebuilt the Fox Twin-Clicker on my G/SPD+. Ask for Kent Sognier.

I have the original instruction manual for the shock, I can scan it for you if you need. I don’t think it goes into level of detail that would tell you about shim stacks, but it would tell you at least how to tune it with the clickers.

Ian

Gmd

GMD Computrack Atlanta is an independent shop NW of Atlanta, that may be fairly convenient to you in central TN. They cleaned and rebuilt the Fox Twin-Clicker on my G/SPD+. Ask for Kent Sognier.

I have the original instruction manual for the shock, I can scan it for you if you need. I don’t think it goes into level of detail that would tell you about shim stacks, but it would tell you at least how to tune it with the clickers.

Ian

I love GMD, Kent put my race bike on "the rack" and stretched the frame and gusseted the head stock and turned it into the best handling bike I ever raced.

Ian

I was able to get a paper copy of the setup manual from Thor Lawson of Evolution Suspension Products, thankfully, along with a couple of rebuild kits. I appreciate the offer though.

Thanks for the suggestions about rebuilders, folks, but I'll be rebuilding these on my own. I'm really hoping for information on valving for these shocks. While I'm a competent mechanic and have rebuilt suspension components and shocks before with success, I'm not a proper suspension enginerd and my understanding of valving is basic.
On their modern bicycle, dirtbike, ATV, snowmobile, and side-by-side shocks, Fox conveniently arranges their valve shims into numbered packs and provides charts for them; unfortunately no such charts seem to exist for their older stuff and the company itself couldn't give me any info. They did direct me to Carver Performance, which was helpful, as that company bought up all the remaining hard parts when the Clickers went out of production and they have some knowledge I can tap into if I send them the specs of the shim stacks already in my shocks.

I have heard very good things about GMD Computrack. Over on the Honda CB750 forum a few weeks ago a guy had a CB750C that had a nasty frame bend, tilting the headstock at an angle and pushing the front wheel almost 3 inches off of center. Their corrective work wasn't a cheap fix, but it was a perfect fix and saved that bike from the scrapyard.

Back