• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT Valve Clearance Adjustment

oldcarman

Many bikes ago I had a 1998 R1100RT and drove it for a few years, then something else came along and it was sold I missed it so last summer I purchased a low mileage 1996 R1100RT. It now has 17,000 miles on it. It runs nice at idle and smooth until I get in the 65-70mph range. At that point it vibrates through the bars quite a bit. So, my plan was to check and adjust the valve clearance, and sync the throttle bodies. Prior to adjusting the valve clearance I hooked up my vacuum gauges and decided to check the sync to confirm my suspicion. It was off a little at idle and also off at 2500 rpm. After it cooled I removed the Tupperware, found the TDC mark and removed the valve covers. See pic. After I had removed both covers I was looking at the right side and saw this rubber thing on the floor, just below the head. It is oily so I assumed it must have been in the valve cover some place, but I don't see where it could go. I checked the left side and don't see one in that cover or head. Any ideas what is it???? Did it come out of the valve cover or possible the Tupperware someplace. Thanks, oldcarman jim

Attachments

• 20190710_192733_resized B.jpg
    20190710_192733_resized B.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 98
It hooks on the bottom, near the front of the cover. If memory serves me correctly, the thinner part faces the front of the bike. Keep it horizontal and the cylinder cover should slide on easily.

Thanks guys. I did look at the pictures and parts drawing link. Also, looked at Max BMW parts fiche. Both pats drawings show "two" are required, so I assume one for each side. Mine only had the one, or possibly there is another one on the floor someplace. Off to the garage...……….. Again, thanks. Oldcarman jim

I believe it is one per side.

Mark
My R1100RT has one on each side. Never noticed them until one fell off last week when I removed the valve covers. Putting the cover back on was near impossible until I adjusted the angle of "the black thing that fell off".

I called a few BMW dealers hoping to find one of the rubber buffers, but no luck. I ended up back at my local dealer, who said he did a nation wide search and no one had them. He ordered two for me, coming out of Germany. Takes about a week.

The more I look at it, I think it is to dampen noise, it is rubber and a snug fit. The one on my left side must have fell out a long time ago, when someone did a tune-up.

Back