• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 K75S fuel tank leak repair and replacement options

jeks

hi,

i have a 1994 k75s i'm trying to keep on the road, one of the problems i have is the leaky fuel tank problem at the bottom corners, started as puckered paint and has now progressed to a slow seeping leak.

I tried a couple of things to fix it, first i tried the POR tank repair kit, but that failed miserably failed to bond to the tank and peeled off. Next i tried using jbweld the putty kind where you knead it together.... i suspect that i did an incomplete job as i focused mainly on the 'spots' i could see vs trying to seal the whole seam.

anyway, my questions are.. is a tank repair using jbweld or similar possible if I try to seal it one last time, or is my tank done in?

if i want/need to replace the fuel tank... does a replacement tank need to come from only a K75S or will other K bike tanks swap in?

thanks for any advice!

-jackson

Google RedKote, read up on it. No mixing, no magic ingredients, no cross yer fingers voo doo. Call'm up. FWIW.

Try local radiator shops to see if they have someone qualified to do an aluminum braze repair. Not as cheap or easy as some options, but it is as permanent as you can get.

If done properly an exterior patch can work and last for many years. I've had it last 8 or 10 before it started leaking again.

First off, you need to get all the dissolving paint and corrosion off the leak area so you can get a good bond on clean aluminum or undamaged paint. They I coated the area along the leak with Seal All because it is a good sealant and is relatively impervious to fuel - moreso tha JB Weld. But then for some additional body I used a layer of JB Weld. After allowing it to cure for a week or two I touched up with some paint.

Other products work too but the key is wire brushing and sanding down to bare aluminum. You can't seal a leak on top of gunky dissolving paint.

hi tanks all for the tips and advice.. i feel very encouraged about keeping my bike on the road.

when i tried to fix the tank before i was only doing patches on the inside of the tank because i was trying to save otherwise gorgeous paint on the outside, but since then my bike got stolen (recovered) and the paint is ruined anyway so just trying to keep her on the road.

however due to insurance claim i could splurge on a new tank...

can anyone tell by sight if this tank will fit a 94 K75S?

55f5f1bc-452e-44bf-9747-afea859a19b9.jpg

thanks for all the awesome advice i just re-subscribed the the MOA even tho i have a (almost working)BMW ;-) you all rock

Jackson,

Yes, that tank will fit a K75S.

An S requires a tank from a K75 S,C,T, or standard. A K75RT tank will not work nor will any K100 or K1100 tank.

The difference is the bottom side edge about half way back. It is under cut on an S to clear the fairing.
P1000951.jpg
P1000955.jpg

The K75RT, K100, and K1100 is not under cut.
P1000952.jpg

Being your bike is a '94, it probably has the wider front frame mount. If the replacement tank is the older narrow mount, you can remove the front mount extender tubes and just mount the front rubber mounts straight to the frame like on the earlier bikes.:thumb

To remove the tabs (for the low seat tank surround) that are on the side of the tank you pictured, use some fishing line leader and "saw" them off. Then use Goo Gone or other citrus based adhesive remover on what's left.

:dance:dance:dance

lee, thank you as always for great info!

the tank is from a 94 so i think i got lucky.

wonder if you know, on the tank photo i posted... what is the black tab thing near the back on the side?

TIA

Jackson,

As I mentioned in my previous post, those are clips for the rubber tank surround used on low seat models. Use some fishing leader or dental floss to "saw" through the double sticky back mounting tape and then use some adhesive remover to clean the rest of the adhesive off the tank.

:dance:dance:dance

lee, of course you answered the question before i even asked it, sorry for missing that. and thank you for the rock-solid advice as always.

Back