• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 k75 RT Leaking Rear Shock

davidacaldwell

I came out to the attached photo yesterday, after riding the bike for the first time in a few months; is this a leaking rear shock? do shocks sometimes leak like this? i don't see any other leaking on the final drive.

i bought the bike a few years ago, and frequently bottomed out when under a large load. from the maintenance records that the seller provided in sale, the current shock was installed about 5 years, and 5 k miles ago.IMG_3509.jpgIMG_3510.jpg

I would clean the area up thoroughly and then take another ride or two and come back and blow some baby powder on the area which will then highlight the oil stains. Maybe you can follow those stains up/forward to get a sense of where it's coming from.

It's hard to tell from that photo, but using that it looks to me that the O-ring on the speedometer pickup is leaking. That is the gizmo attached to the rear drive by a small Allen bolt with the wire coming out of it just behind the bottom shock mount. Shocks can leak but around the piston shaft seal, and if yours was leaking that much it would be running down the front of the shock body and dripping ahead of what I'm seeing in your photo.

I would do was has already been suggested of cleaning it off and then using baby powder to find the source. Also, look at where the shock piston rod goes into the lower shock body for signs of leakage.

It looks to me like the oil spot shows just ahead of the lower mounting bolt and beneath the front-bottom of the shock. This would indicate that the shock is leaking. Looking at the top of the shock body will tell the tale.

Thanks very much for the comments, and insight--I cleaned up the area, and rode the bike for about 10 miles...definitely leaking shock.

Really appreciate everyone's help!

Great!
If you can, post up what you did regarding the repair.
I adjusted your “tags” for clarity.

OM

Rear shock

I came out to the attached photo yesterday, after riding the bike for the first time in a few months; is this a leaking rear shock? do shocks sometimes leak like this? i don't see any other leaking on the final drive.

i bought the bike a few years ago, and frequently bottomed out when under a large load. from the maintenance records that the seller provided in sale, the current shock was installed about 5 years, and 5 k miles ago.View attachment 93036View attachment 93037

Back up 3', take the right side battery cover off, and take another picture...you're too close so we can't tell what kind of shock is installed.

I take it it's not a Nivomat self-adjusting shock..you mentioned always bottoming out...weak or wrong spring, worn-out seal, or just the wrong shock.

If it is the shock leaking, call Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop..he has options in all price ranges and configurations.

Back