• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1990 R 100 GSPD new tire trouble

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion to get the bead seated on my front tire. I replaced the tire, Heidenau K 60 scout 90/90 21, after some wrestling got it on the rim. now I can get it to hold air sort of, but the bead ( which is really stiff on this tire ) won't pop on the rim. I am using lube ( dishsoap and water ) , and have the tire holding pressure, but the air leaks out in about 2 minutes, and you can see the bead hasn't seated. my friend just called and said straight soap and more air pressure, so I guess I will go try that.

The metal part of the tire has to be very clean. Soap will probably work, but there are "professional" liquids that are likely better. It will seat better if you do it out in full sun, if you're so fortunate...things limber up when warm/hot. Also, once you have pushed some amount of overpressure in the tire, try bouncing the tire in the areas that you're having trouble seating...maybe that will help move things around. I'd be cautious about the amount of overpressure...don't know what is too much, but certainly 100 psi is, maybe even 60 psi is. :dunno

thanks guys, I will clean the rim better next time. I got it on, used straight soap and full compressor pressure. I think my compressor makes 90- 100 psi, when it popped on it sprayed soap everywhere, good thing I had my safety glasses on. I am going to Alaska next summer, and wanted to know if I could change a tire on the side of the road. I got it changed ok, but I don't see my cycle pump airing up and seating a new tire.

back on the road. new tires sure feel good :). here are a couple of pictures,

Attachments

• P1000030a.jpg
    P1000030a.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 44
  • P1000031a.jpg
    P1000031a.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 44
:thumb
I have a K60 on the back- with a tube :hungover
Advice given really helps- especially the tire as warm and limber as it can be. Sometimes you need the pressure- just be as careful as you can as you will probably pass some limits.
The Globeriders DVD series has some helpful tips on "side of the road" tire changin'.
OM

Back