• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1984 Last Edition Q.

P

Peter_Krynicki

In 1987 BMW re-introduced the R100RS. I had bought an '84 R100RS Last Edition and IIRC someone else who had bought one thought that the re-introduction of this model would depreciate the price of his bike. He tried to get in touch with other buyers but nothing came of this.

But a few months later I received a voucher from BMW for a new System II helmet which I simply had to take to any dealer to exchange for the helmet. He told me BMW, while not stating it explicitly, did this to placate buyers of the various 1984 Last Editions.

Did anyone else receive and use such a voucher? I want to know if my memory is correct.

Thanks
Pjk

Although I didn't buy an LE, your memory is correct. BMW sold the R100 LE models with a certificate saying that they were the last ones. When the K bikes didn't vacuum up all of the demand for an R100, BMW was forced to reintroduce them. At the time there was a lot grumbling about the value of the LE models and their collectability, and BMW gave all of the owners a System helmet as compensation. If you still have both the certificate and the helmet, then you really have a bit of history!

Although I didn't buy an LE, your memory is correct. BMW sold the R100 LE models with a certificate saying that they were the last ones. When the K bikes didn't vacuum up all of the demand for an R100, BMW was forced to reintroduce them. At the time there was a lot grumbling about the value of the LE models and their collectability, and BMW gave all of the owners a System helmet as compensation. If you still have both the certificate and the helmet, then you really have a bit of history!

I recently sold the R100RS to a collector. I had the 2nd seat and the mounting hardware for the passenger pegs and everything else that came with the bike *except* the dang certificate, and I felt badly about not having that to go with the bike.

But about a week after selling it I got in touch with him and gave him the helmet. Even though it was over 20 years old I still occassionally used it, and it was impossible to get shields for it, but I thought it should stay with the bike.

Pjk

Although I believe it will be impossible to get another copy of the certificate, you can get a statement from BMW indicating that the bike is a true LE. Email BMW Mobile Tradition and ask about the serial number (andreas dot harz at partner dot bmwgroup dot com). They will tell you what they have in their delivery books, which should include this information.

Back