• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1300 Service manual

bobs_one

I'm riding a 2017 1200 GSA and was thinkng of upgrading to a 1250 - or 1300 (GSA when they come out). I was sort of comfortable with the lack of a BMW service manual for the 1250 as I assumed much of the service stuff (at least that I would do myself) would be similar to the 1200 and I could cope. But with the 1300 engine and chassis being so different, what are people who do their own work using for service information?
It would seem that even simple, everyday stuff like torque values for wheels, etc. might be different.
Is BMW going to issue some level of service manual?

I'm riding a 2017 1200 GSA and was thinkng of upgrading to a 1250 - or 1300 (GSA when they come out). I was sort of comfortable with the lack of a BMW service manual for the 1250 as I assumed much of the service stuff (at least that I would do myself) would be similar to the 1200 and I could cope. But with the 1300 engine and chassis being so different, what are people who do their own work using for service information?
It would seem that even simple, everyday stuff like torque values for wheels, etc. might be different.
Is BMW going to issue some level of service manual?
It doesn’t appear that way. There are quite a few that here, Boxflyer to name one, that have figured a lot of that out.
I think you will be fine with the information you find here.
Good Luck.
OM

Jim von Baden will likely be among the first to offer 3rd party information, including ultimately a service DVD. This is based on his history of same, you can find him on ADVrider, and I believe his website is JVB Productions.
Not affiliated, etc.

I’ve heard that bootleg repair service manuals are readily available. Buying one of these manuals from a popular on line site is against the rules, but one might understand how a person could be driven by the miserly decision of a corporation to bend the rules and order one from a provider in Spain. I also heard that in one particular instance the buyer received the manual on a thumb drive and was pleased with quality of the product.

I’ve heard that bootleg repair service manuals are readily available. Buying one of these manuals from a popular on line site is against the rules, but one might understand how a person could be driven by the miserly decision of a corporation to bend the rules and order one from a provider in Spain. I also heard that in one particular instance the buyer received the manual on a thumb drive and was pleased with quality of the product.
Has anyone seen bootleg manuals for bikes produced *after* BMW stopped selling service manuals in roughly early 2021?

I managed to get my official service manual just prior to BMW pulling the plug, so I have not paid too close attention to what's actually out there for service manuals. But on the K1600 forums where I mostly hang out, all I see/hear evidence of people finding are bootleg copies of models up to and including 2020. For the K1600's the bootleg copies seem to top out at around 2017. Not a big deal for the K1600's, as little has materially changed over the years other than tupperware and recently the TFT display. But, for something like the 1300, the changes are going to be huge compared to the 1250.

There seems to be a lot of changes coming to vehicles both motorcycles and cars/pickup trucks. The move will no doubt have enterprising people developing work-arounds. This could be lack of manuals or the new trend in subscription based accessories.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/13/23206999/car-subscription-nightmare-heated-seats-remote-start
Seems short sighted but considering that, at least around here, people working on their own vehicles is becoming less and less.
OM

Hard to make a bootleg copy if the original is not available from somewhere.
Could be as simple as the apparent availability noted above.
OM

Repair instructions are available. They exist at dealerships with access via computer to BMW's system. I don't have a clue how that system works but it is most likely a "cloud" based system. I suspect it would be possible for an enterprising but unscrupulous technician to create a bootleg manual by accessing the BMW system and copying portions. I have no clue how this would be done but don't doubt that somebody in Nigeria or Nicaragua might find a way.

Repair instructions are available. They exist at dealerships with access via computer to BMW's system. I don't have a clue how that system works but it is most likely a "cloud" based system. I suspect it would be possible for an enterprising but unscrupulous technician to create a bootleg manual by accessing the BMW system and copying portions. I have no clue how this would be done but don't doubt that somebody in Nigeria or Nicaragua might find a way.

With the BMW shop manual each page that is printed or captured has the name of the dealer and the technician that was logged in watermarked on it. If that got out I would guess there would be repercussions.

I used to object to the sale of bootleg service manuals. However, with the change in policy by BMW to no longer make service and maintenance information available, my objection is gone.

One of the proposals in the legislation being pushed by some is that not only will manufacturers be required to make service information available, it will be provided for free at the time of sale. Hope that comes to be.

I just hate this situation.

I see it as a money grab for dealers. With no OEM Service DVD you will forced to use a dealer until your warranty runs out.

When you have a warranty issue and have never been logged into the BMW NA computer for service that is going to be a problem. You gonna say you used a bootleg DVD or a online instruction video? How do you think BMW NA is going to respond?

And to compound that BMW is not going to make the mistake of letting a DVD out into the wild. The Pirate in me roots it does, but from another post here they have it locked down pretty tight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act Even this seems to offer no relief. The only thing I see is a class action which would be settled way after I would want or need a 1300.

There are a lot of changes on the 1300 as far as frame and telelever, with more embed electronics, even to the shocks for the auto lower and such. It is a more complicated bike component wise then the 1250.

I just have shunned them for a future bike. I find it disgusting that they have forced people to do things they never would ever do, as far as using pirated software. Anyone of us would pony up for a service DVD with updates. That is the sad fact.

BMW has "cut off it's nose to spite it's face". Many people are going to turn to another brand, and others are going to keep bikes much longer and not buy new. I mean you are always going to have a % of people who want the newest and have the money to keep a dealer serviced bike. I am not one of those fortunate individuals and think there are more % in my situation, then the first % of no issues with money.

However, if other brands see BMW getting away with it, and they follow suite, is going to be bad for everyone.

At 67 my 17.5 GS is the bike I will die with. I am so comfortable working on it and have a DVD and a Haynes for it. I would rather keep the bike I know then a new 1300 that needs a dealer service to honor warranty. Yes I am missing out on all the goodies, my GS even has analog gauges and I love that. But my bike does all I need it to do. It runs like a top, never has left me on the side of the road, and has more then enough motor to scare me on occasion.

BMW should be ashamed of themselves for such a blatant money grab for their dealer network.

Before keyless ignition (please don't start complaining about keyless ignition, it has it's pros and cons, but this is not the thread for that) it was very difficult to use a repair manual to determine how to steal a vehicle easily. With the advent of computer controls in all things, the manuals had to include trouble-shooting those systems as well, which necessitates the exposure of those systems to people who could easily use that information to bypass the security of those systems... Thus, those systems become a more protected asset to prevent easy widespread access. Similar to dealer-only availability of keys. Yes, an unscrupulous dealer employee could still steal and sell the information, but...

Back