• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1200RT Zumo mount - Techmount or Migsel?

liv2ryd

I currently have the BMW GPS mount on my 1200RT, and it just doesn't work with the tank bag. If you mount the Zumo directly to it, it is much too low to see with the bag on, and if you use Ram extensions to raise it up, it partially blocks the instruments and/or causes the BMW mount to rotate on bumpy roads because of the leverage the extension places on it. Therefore, I am looking for a new mount, and I have seen both the Techmount mirror mount bracket and the Migsel dash mount, both of which look great. So, for those of you who have these mounts, what are the pros and cons of them in your experience. I know the 1st con of the Migsel, price, but it sure is a clean looking mount. Any instrument blockage issues with it?

I have the migsel mount and it puts my Zumo 550 in the perfect position.
The only issue I have is that you do get GPS vibration particularly at idle, the unit is very secure, just a little vibrartion.
Hope this helps.

I have the migsel mount and it puts my Zumo 550 in the perfect position.
The only issue I have is that you do get GPS vibration particularly at idle, the unit is very secure, just a little vibrartion.
Hope this helps.

I'm curious also, how much vibration, is it like the mirrors at idle? Can you see it clearly when riding Slow, Fast? Do you think that there might be enough vibration to loosen the ram mount over time?

Love the Zumo 550, I'm in the same boat on my RT using the BMW tank bag, I dont like things mounted that are left or right of center vision or if I would have to look down away from the road.

That Migsel is way over priced! If decide to go that way I want to be sure that it works very well.

Thanks,

RTKolenda

GPS-Mount.be

I think the vibration you speak of is caused by the RAM ball mount of the Migsel unit.

Another Belgian manufacturer is making a very similar mount which does not require the RAM mount & is, in my experience, a far superior method of placing GPS in the much favoured 'over the clocks' position.

GPS-Mount.be

Details of my own installation may be found here.

Dutch

I have been very happy with my mount from gadget guy.

www.gadgetguy.net - not affliated just have been using his products and recommend them.

Hold the gps extremely well easy to adjust and places it in a very good position to look at the gps and still see the road.

Just another option

Attachments

• DSC03601[1].jpg
    DSC03601[1].jpg
    76 KB · Views: 591
Gadget guy mount

Wow, that one's about $60 more than the Migsel and from the description takes 1 hour or more to install, the Migsel installs in about 10 minutes using existing bolt holes!

I made my mount myself, it's easy if you have a grinder, vice, hammer and a drill, using 1/8" flat bar you can pick up at Home Depot. I put double back tape between the mount and the dash and secured in place with the existing fastener on the dash. Been in place for about two years now and works great.

Chuck Senn

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 576
I'm curious also, how much vibration, is it like the mirrors at idle? Can you see it clearly when riding Slow, Fast? Do you think that there might be enough vibration to loosen the ram mount over time?

I have no problem with the vibration I can see just fine. It may bother some people.
It would definitely not loosen the ram mount.
I used the shortest ram mount you can get.

I'm curious also, how much vibration, is it like the mirrors at idle? Can you see it clearly when riding Slow, Fast? Do you think that there might be enough vibration to loosen the ram mount over time? Love the Zumo 550, I'm in the same boat on my RT using the BMW tank bag, I dont like things mounted that are left or right of center vision or if I would have to look down away from the road.

That Migsel is way over priced! If decide to go that way I want to be sure that it works very well. Thanks,

RTKolenda

The Migsel mount looks like it was designed as part of the bike -- it's a nice quality piece -- but expensive as you said. The Zumo does vibrate in the mount and makes the screen detail harder to read but the position is just right -- above the instruments and just below your line of sight. At idle, you might have some trouble reading the screen depending on the map scale. I think if you check the mounting hardware regularly you won't have any problems loosing parts or gear due to the vibration. There are other top-of-the-dash mounting options like the gadget guy mounts.

The mount I'm currently using is the one found on this thread -- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=33949&highlight=jakfrost

I've been using it for a few months with the short ram mount extension (1.75"). With this short ram extension the lower part of the screen is slightly obscured so I'm going to go to a 3" extension that will raise it some but still give me a view of the instruments. Using it with the BMW tank bag works fine until you open/expand the bag to its full capacity. It's simple, easy to install, holds firm and is easily removed. The flair at the top of the mount may prevent the use of bar-backs depending on the type.

and the winner is.....

Chuck Senn. At least to start. Looks like about $20 in parts, an hours' worth of time, no drilling in the fairing, uses existing fasteners, holds one GPS which is all I need, hammers and vices are involved, and he's been using it for 2 years with no problems. What's not to love? And if it really doesn't work for me and I have to go to Migsel or another mount, I'm out very little and have no new holes in the fairing. I'm off to Home Depot. :dance

For what it's worth regarding the Ram Ball mount, I also use the Zumo on my GS with the handlebar ball clamp and short arm, and even riding off-road I never have loosening problems of the arm.

I've got the Techmount inserted into the left mirror slot on my R1200RT. It took only a few minutes to install, is out of the way of any instruments, and holds the Zumo real well. It also places the Zumo high enough that it is easy to glance over to see the screen without taking your peripheral vision off the road. I am very happy with my Techmount.

Another easy solution for GPS mount.

I removed the windshield, then one of the flanged cap screws on the top of the dash.
I then mounted a RAM Mount Reservoir Cover Side Ball Base using a longer cap screw and a small piece of double sided tape was placed between the RAM mount and the top of the dash. The GPS is left of center and clear of any size tank bag. Time spent on mounting was a half hour.

Attachments

• 100_1102.jpg
    100_1102.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 300
Great minds

think along the same lines. I ended up doing almost exactly what Zeeski did, the only exception being that I happened to have laying around on my work bench a circular based Ram Mount off a bike I sold, and used the 1" extension, so should keep vibration/movement to a minimum, less leverage effect. I was just about to take off for the hardware store to buy the 1/8" steel plate when I noticed it and the little light bulb went off over my head. Ended up going to the hardware store anyway, for the double-stick tape and a longer bolt for the dash. Perfecto!

I removed the windshield, then one of the flanged cap screws on the top of the dash.
The GPS is left of center and clear of any size tank bag. Time spent on mounting was a half hour.

Zeeski, can you provide a rider's view of the gps mounted as such? Can you confirm that the sideball ram mount is held by doublesided tape and one screw with no problems? How / where did you run the wires?

This seems to be the quickest and cheapest way to get a zumo on the RT dash; thanks in advance for the for the info!

Zeeski's is a neat idea. I use the reservoir cover RAM mount on the front brake, as they originally intended, with my Nuvi 750. It is positioned well enough for me with the OEM tank bag but not as clean (power cord crossing the bag space) as that fairing mount.

Back