• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

07 vs 13 RT

2slowwheels

Sold my 88 RT and my 97 RT so on the hunt for sometheing newer.. Is a 2013 RT worth twice and much as a 2007? Other than Camhead motor and ESA and a few less miles. Similar condition, extras, etc. Being a cheap Norski and a cheap BMW rider I can't decide. I found both and they are both pretty nice. Thanks

The 2013 will get a newer vented final drive. I can't say it's worth 2x as much as I don't know about the rest of the condition of the bike. I'd rather have a higher mileage bike that was well taken care of, than a garage queen that has been left to sit and go unused.

Well, stuff DOES wear out, and any usage has a tendency to accumulate scuffs and scratches and owner "improvements".
From a practical standpoint, I don't think there is that much difference in power, unless you run WFO to redline on a regular basis.

While I think the water cooled boxers are nice, especially those with cruise control, the potential for expensive cam lobe and follower replacement, along with the location of the stator would have me leaning towards the older bike. In the end though, the bike you buy should be the one that YOU want.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

I'm finding a few Hexhead RTs with about 30,000 miles and a couple 2013 Camhead RTs with about 14,000 miles not too far from me. I was looking for a GS but living on the great plains a RT seems to make more sense. I'm a wimp in my old age and the RT coverage is easier on the body. Seems like the main improvements were getting rid of the fuel strip and putting a drain in ther rear drive.

I'm finding a few Hexhead RTs with about 30,000 miles and a couple 2013 Camhead RTs with about 14,000 miles not too far from me. I was looking for a GS but living on the great plains a RT seems to make more sense. I'm a wimp in my old age and the RT coverage is easier on the body. Seems like the main improvements were getting rid of the fuel strip and putting a drain in ther rear drive.

Camheads will also have a little more torque, slightly less fuel range, probably fewer valve adjustments (shimmed instead of screw adjusted), need a device to reset the service reminder.

OEM shock damping is noticeably degraded by 40K. My Hexhead's ESA preload quit working before 30,000 miles, dealer would not guarantee a $1300 replacement would fix it. Replaced front and rear with Tractives at 45,000 miles for $2K.

The 2008 and up RTs have a drain in the proper 6 o'clock position of the final drive. The fuel strip can't be argued but when my FS went out at 122,000 miles I bought the HPoskam dongle thing that spoofs the gauge to read full all the time. The other functions of the onboard computer remain operative and the bike goes from displaying miles to empty to range of a full tank and figures tank range based on the average MPG since reset. It gives an accurate tank range then just use the B trip odometer to track distance on tank. When thinking of upgrading to a Camhead from my Hexhead I rode a 48,000 mile example that had terrible OEM ESA suspension compared the YSS units the Beemershop built for my 2007. The seller let me take his Camhead for the weekend and he took my bike home. When I returned his bike he remarked the suspension on my 2007 was better than anything he ever remembered from his 2005, 2010, and 2013 RTs. I doubt he could remember all that way back but the 2013's was worn out and in dire need of replacement.

You'll do a lot fewer valve adjustments on the newer bike.

The aluminum rear drive spider that should have been replaced under warranty on the 2007 will be the correct steel item on the newer bike.

The newer bike will have a more modern radio. The dash gauges are somewhat easier to read in daylight.

I think the fuel pump replacement recall applies to both.

You'll do a lot fewer valve adjustments on the newer bike.

The aluminum rear drive spider that should have been replaced under warranty on the 2007 will be the correct steel item on the newer bike.

The newer bike will have a more modern radio. The dash gauges are somewhat easier to read in daylight.

I think the fuel pump replacement recall applies to both.

The fuel pump recall covers the 2005-2011 model years of the RT.

Looks like they have fixed less than half of the affected bikes: Recall Quarterly Report

The fuel pump recall covers the 2005-2011 model years of the RT.

Looks like they have fixed less than half of the affected bikes: Recall Quarterly Report

My 09 RT-P needed two iterations of the fuel pump recall/replacement. Although it had had the initial recall service, when I handed it off to the dealer for a 6K service fuel started running down the still-hot cylinder. Fortunately no flames resulted.

Back