• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'07 vs '09 GSA

reachfar

I wondering if someone could advise me as to whether to spend the extra money for a newer GSA that has ESA vs an older one without. I think BMW started to offer ESA in 2008 or '09. I'm assuming there is a mechanical way to adjust the suspension on a pre '08 GS that while not as convenient might work pretty well. Am I wrong? I'm looking at either a 2007 or a 2009 GSA. The asking price for the '09 is several thousand dollars more. Both have about the same mileage and are in similar condition. I'm not sure the newer one is worth the extra money. Any suggestions? :dunno

If you ride 2-up quite often then the ESA is nice. If you are a solo rider you won't change the settings that often. Should the ESA fail it will be costly (had an '09 GSA w/56K and currently '13 GSA w/26K, no ESA issues). If you are a solo rider you won't change the settings as often. FWIW...

The '09 is a Hexhead. My understanding is that the Camhead came out in '10. So, would the '07 and '09 engine be pretty much the same? Maybe I should hold out for a '10 (cha ching, cha ching). Is the Camhead way better?

Thanks for answering my original question about the ESA Chuck.

The '10 - '13 GSAs are Camheads. Rated +5 HP more than the Hexheads and stock exhaust has almost an after market exhaust tone. Valve settings should be checked every 6K, but, my experience has been no need to readjust since the 6K service.

The 09 is the last of the hexheads. Like the 07 but with the bugs worked out and a couple of nice changes like the FD drain plug in a much better location.

I hate to even mention the FD, :hide but the 09's have the improved rear end (as mentioned above) and seem to have very few failures. My 09 R1200R has been rock solid (except the blasted fuel strip).

Back