• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

05 R1200RT- Issue With Garmin 550

williambrown

For some years, I have had a Garmin 550 permanently wired in to the BMW Sat Nav connector plug taped to the headstock on my 05 RT. No problems

Recently I acquired an Optimate charger, the model with the CANBUS selection setting.

The Optimate turns on the Garmin 550 while its charging. I can turn the Garmin off with the rubber button on the Garmin unit, but it tuns on a few minutes later.

So, I have questions :-

1 Why is it so

2 Is it a drain on my battery

3 Can I stop the Optimate switching on my Garmin 550

DabDab
Australia

If off, the Garmin comes on as soon as "new" power is supplied, as if it is just plugged in. So the Charger and Canbus have no power to the GPS but then supplies power to that circuit - which causes the Garmin unit to turn on. That is the why. How to fix it is your choice. I would install a new outlet directly to the battery and let the charger ignore Canbus entirely.

Back