• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

02 R1150RS kinked metal fuel line

sterob

It was running fine the last time I had the tank on, but after removing it and refitting, the bike won't start.
I appear to have lost fuel flow to my injectors. I removed one and cranked the bike...it was very hard to see any fuel.
Fuel pump is ok and I have the metal quick connectors fitted.
I have been fitting and removing my fuel tank quite frequently over the last couple of months while I fix various problems,
and each time I find it quite difficult to connect and disconnect the fuel lines.There is not much room there for these.
I suspect I have pushed the fuel line too far back on itself and managed to kink the fuel line, thereby starving the injector of fuel.
Now I have to remove the battery and tray to inspect the lines and maybe fix. Not to mention I have disconnect the throttle cables AGAIN to move the tray! grrrrr
I know its a pain without the quick connectors, but its also a pain using them.
I am wondering if there is a better way? Maybe the fuel lines on the tank side can be made longer so there is less load on the metal fuel lines?...dunno
Not using quick connectors means I'll have to use clamps on the lines ( which I don't have ) and has proved messy in the past.

Anybody found a better way? Is there a softer, more flexible fuel line available?
Loop the fuel line?

Steve

fuel restriction (2).jpg

fuel restriction (1).jpg

I removed both injectors and cranked the engine. No fuel on both sides....
I pulled the tank again and removed the pump plate. I found the u tube pulled off, but I don't know if I pulled it off gettting the plate off or it was already off.
I'll fix it and try again.

steve

I removed both injectors and cranked the engine. No fuel on both sides....
I pulled the tank again and removed the pump plate. I found the u tube pulled off, but I don't know if I pulled it off gettting the plate off or it was already off.
I'll fix it and try again.

steve

The U-tube can blow off from fuel pressure if you happen to deadhead the pump. Unless the clamps are loose or damaged, the easiest way I've found to do this is to power it up with one of the quick disconnects not quite latched in. DAMHIK.

I can't imagine pulling it off, if it was properly seated and clamped.

Last edited:
Two things to watch to prevent deadheading the fuel pump, which at 100psi or so can easily blow off the u-hose. One, put a thin film of Vaseline or motor oil on the QD o-rings before reconnecting the QDs, and two—make sure the QD fittings go together with a clear and audible click when reassembling them.

Best,
DG

Thanks guys. You are both correct.
I do remember finding on of the QC's not quite seated after trying to crank the bike! This is where I must have done the deed, and blew the U tube off.
I was on the wrong track.

I will reclamp the u tube and make sure the QC's seat with a click before trying again.
Merry Xmas everyone.

Steve

Back