• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The BING and the Potato

veryscarygary

Before:
r65_001.jpg

I took my 32's off of my R65 and looked at them in daylight.
DSC_4710.JPG

dirty little bings!

I took them over to my buddies shop and he just dropped them into an ultrasonic cleaning bath for 45 min.
IMG_0551.JPG

after:
IMG_0553.JPG

I dismantled them with the intention of checking out the gaskets, diaphrams etc, and to let them air dry for a couple of days.

Some of the dirt was really stubborn and I had to use the toothbrush and carb cleaner method.. but in the end they turned out really nice.
IMG_0563.JPG

I wanted to refesh the BING text on the plate..
IMG_0567.JPG

after a few tries with a paint brush, my girlfriend suggested using a potato to stamp the paint. We cut the potato to about 3/4 of an inch square, dabbed it in the white paint, Tremclad white in this case. Had a piece of newspaper handy for test dabs. We applied a light base coat, waited 1/2 hour and repeated a second application. I had to clean up the metal rivets with some varsol and a rag..
IMG_0577.JPG

voila!
IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

My solution was to use the back end of a cardboard match, but your solution puts mine to shame. Thanks for sharing. I now know how to repaint mine properly.

Do you suppose that this would be a good technique for the raised letters on my /6 instrument cluster?

Do you suppose that this would be a good technique for the raised letters on my /6 instrument cluster?

oooooh, that would be so cool to be have little white words that tell me what the light is supposed to mean!
On the 1976 R75 that I just got the letters are as plain as day. On the others they are mostly illegible. Have to try this.

Timely Post - am in the middle of doing the same exact thing to the bings on my R65LS mission "bring her back to life" and "give the girl a good bath".

A BIG project but coming along!

Nice Job!!!

thats using your heads boxerboy. good solution using the tater as a stamp.

hey, can't you also make a battery out of a potato (i'm reaching deep into the grade school memory banks here). if so, hang on to that potato as it might also come in handy for your airhead charging system. :beer

I was ready to do the potato paint on the BING plates.

Ended up buying a fine tip white paint pen in the wal mart crafts section. Less mess same results.

Potato still good though.

I used to firmly believe that the only use for a potato on any internal combustion powered vehicle was in the tailipe of your enemy.

After 25 years of motorcycling, I finally stand corrected.

:thumb

hey, can't you also make a battery out of a potato (i'm reaching deep into the grade school memory banks here). if so, hang on to that potato as it might also come in handy for your airhead charging system. :beer

A potato might just supply more power!

Now turn those clamps over and it'll end any oil drips from the breather.

Great thread. Now I have something else to dress up.:thumb

Back