• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailering your Bike

K

Kevin910

I don't trailer my car so why would I trailer my bike? Moreover, if you do trailer your bike, one of the S-hooks that you use to tie it down could cause damage to your bike and force you to create an internet page with a number of photos and explanation of the carnage that it created. Check out this link :S-hook dilemma

Ouch! My brother and I trailered our bikes to Daytona one year and they wobbled a little and rubbed against each other.

Rubbed a hole clean through the paint of my Honda.

I got the free roadside assistance with my bikes, so if it does breakdown it'll be BMW or their agent trailering the bike, not me smartypants........

My wife said the same thing. "A BMW doesn't belong on a trailer."

However, I live in two locations and I have a bike at each end. When I lived in Washington, DC and had a house in Manhattan, KS, I needed some way to get my car and bike to my work house. If I needed to get my bike to a BMW dealer for a service or repair, the trailer works great if you are living in an areas where you don't know many folks. I'm now at Leavenworth, KS with a house in a retirement community along with my house in Manhattan, KS. The fossils around me are lucky to be walking.

So...if you do buy a trailer, buy a good one. Don't put a 16-20K motorcycle on a cheap trailer. I own and recommend a Kendon standup trailer.

http://www.kendontrailers.com/

They take up very little space in a garage and pull great with full size tires. At interstates speeds, its very steady.

Kevin910 said:
I got the free roadside assistance with my bikes, so if it does breakdown it'll be BMW or their agent trailering the bike, not me smartypants........

I've got an F150 for that stuff. The other, somewhat more unspeakable reason bikes get trailered is when they get crashed.

Of course, they can be a lot harder to get in the truck when that happens....

:brow

Trailering a GS

It never occured to me that there was a reason to trailer a BMW until I started having two homes in 1997. If I took the bike to Ann Arbor, sure as hell the monsoon would come. Or, I'd have visitors from halfway round the world, and have to borrow a car to pick them up at the airport, etc.

The solution came as a stand up trailer of excellent quality, which I found available used on the IBMWR list. It has big tires, folds in half and stands up when unused, can carry my GS and all but an K12LT too. I had a hitch installed on the Buick, and the 3.8L pulls it nicely. Now, I can have the bike and the car in either location.

Imagine my embarassment though, the first time I used it. I had to get over the stigma of trailering a GS. It's easy to be fearful of some guys in black suits, whose furtive purpose is to make your indescretion tomorrow's headlines. But, I've gotten over that.

It's gonna be a while before I trailer to MOA nationals, though.

Jim

Back