• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pre-purchase Test Rides

The only BMW dealers in my area (Max and Second Wind) have always offered test drives.

I bought my GSA at Second Wind and there was not a GSA to test ride. they were not going to take the one out of the showroom. When I purchased it, there were only 3 miles on it. They do demo days at some point when the truck comes.

"If I (the dealer) don't have to carry insurance to cover this liability, why incur the cost on speculation of a few more sales?

I can see this being the bottom line for a dealer.

My dealer requires a valid motorcycle license endorsement and proof of insurance. They push test rides. the only bike that is hard to get is an RR. They usually sell well so they don't keep a loaner very long.

Designated demo bikes was/is a program BMW offered dealers when I was involved 10 years ago...assume it is still the same now. BMW offered dealers the opportunity to purchase models under the restriction they would designate them "Demo" bikes and not sell them till they have several thousand miles on them. For doing so, BMW would give dealer a 25% discount on pricing. Some dealers would chose not to participate, especially on certain models they feel wouldn't sell well in their area. By doing so, any test drive of non demo program bikes would cut into the "newness" of his inventory and make that particular bike less appealing to many future customers due to miles on it.

Last edited:
It's not just BMW. When I was looking to buy a new Honda, No dealer in my area would allow a test ride on a brand new bike, but did allow them on their used inventory. It's an individual dealer's decision, I heard from other Honda owners that their dealer did allow them a test ride.

Seen similar practices here as well. Depends on dealer it seems.

Watched a brand new Triumph Rocket III hit the deck shortly after rolling off the showroom as the test pilot was a bit over his head...much cosmetic damage from a slight downhill fall ...not pretty to watch. Watching that individual would have me second guessing allowing a test ride.

We were at a local KTM/Duc/Triumph dealer yesterday...they were eager to prep any bike for a test run in their inventory for H. From one on the showroom to a few requiring some work to get out of the warehouse.

This has been an interesting thread to read. I would never have guessed that any dealer would stumble at the first hurdle when selling a bike, but for many of the reasons explained here, it may just be the way it is.

Having said that, and please understand that I'm from Australia, I have never faced a dealer who would not move heaven and earth to get your bum on a bike if that was going to get the sale locked in. They are careful to dig a little deeper and be comfortable you are not just tire-kicking, but once they know you are serious, they hand over the keys.
That is of course after you provide a copy of your license and sign the bit that says you will pay up to $5k for damages. This is sometimes offset by a couple of more generous insurance companies that include "test riding" under their policies if you already own a bike and are looking to change.

The point I was most interested to read in all of this though, was that anyone would consider purchasing a new bike having never ridden that particular one before. Now maybe you have had a chance to ride a friends or a recent model variant, but I would not make the final call without having had time on the exact machine (colour excluded).
My dealer is very generous. A bike for up to a day to ride is the open offer. In fact, any bike he has or can get is on offer. Perhaps because we are regular customers, or perhaps because he knows if you ride it, you will fall in love. Then it's just about how to convince the wife/husband to get the final sale across the line.

When I was looking for a change a few years back, I had an R1200R and was uncertain what to move to. I just thought I wanted a change. The dealership lined up and K1300S, R1200GS and a new R1200R. There was also an offer of a Ducati (used) and a Triumph just for comparison.
After two days (over two weeks) riding them all, I went for the new model of the R1200R, but each ride was at least two hours long over highway, twisties and suburban roads, with a debrief after each back at the dealership.

Forgetting the single purchase, this is all about building relationships.
Requires commitment on both sides.

I went thru this with Triumph a few years back. Was looking for a modern sport tourer, and dearly wanted to try a Sprint GT. No dealership would roll one off the showroom floor, nobody had any used, demo, or leftover bikes. Sprints never once showed up at any of the dealership test ride events I managed to find myself attending. I had cash money and a bike to trade in, but sure wasn't going to buy something I had no idea about. Ergos, if the GF likes it and is comfortable, etc- are all super important.

Imagine bringing a bike home after agonizing over the decision to buy it, only to find the wife hates the pillion seating! For some folks this doesn't matter, but at my house this is very close to the top of the list in order of priority.

No test ride? No sale.

Of the 5 Beemers I've bought new, I only took one for a test ride (CLC) and didn't care for it. Later, I went to the Chromehead site and read testimonies and went ahead and purchased it. Turned out great-put 86,000 miles on it before it was totaled in a rear-end collision. Most important, to me is rider position, passenger comfort along with real side rails to hold on to. That and safety features, weather protection, etc.

It is about relationships. I've had several dealers ask me to take a new model for a spin as they know I'm a repeat, always prospective buyer. Bottom line...they know me.

My experience as a repeat buyer of BMW and other brand bikes plus using the dealer for work beyond the easy oil change kind of stuff and buying accessories etc. made no difference at all as to test rides or deals of any kind. They do host BMW Motorrad Canada who brings their bike line-up once a year for rides but you have to be very lucky to get on the list. Fortunately forums like this can be very informative as to ride expectations etc. - but nothing like riding a bike to really feel what you are about to purchase.

Back in the day dealer wouldn't even allow you to sit on a bike in the showroom. Might knock it over and then the domino effect.

All interesting to read. First demo ride I ever took was at Ft. Collins BMW back in 85 or 86. The K100RS was new, and they had a custom painted one....unfortunately, grad student loans were not considered a good source of income, or I would have owned it. Later, after becoming a service customer in Sacramento, A&S has always seemed to participate in the Demo bike fleet. I have test ridden so many bikes there since '91, I have lost count. Purchased 5 new bikes there in the process as well and confirmed which of the variants were or were not right for me prior to a purchase. Great program, but I can see that it may not be a good fit financially for all dealers and markets.

Long beach let me test ride their 1600gt demo, I ended up taking it home that day, I've had no issues testing any bike there, probably helps that I have bought 3 from them. My new RT I watched being assembled and I got to do the test ride, since then a couple buddies with older RT's have got to ride it, they both now enjoy there new 16RT's

I have never been able to get a test drive for any BMW motorcycle I have purchased in either of the the two (mulit-line) dealerships in Alberta even after already buying three from one on them. Is this a Canada thing again? Also no survey. So wondering if this is a BMW Motorrad Canada thing or a dealership thing.

It was mid-september in 2011 when I went to Budd's in Oakville asking about available RTs. I had arrived on a Triumph 900 and in minutes was given a full briefing on an RT with 74 km on it.

I was very hesitant on my test ride, they said "Go where you want" and I went on very sedate roads. Never had ridden a BMW before.

Easy.

I bought the bike.

I contacted a local dealer regarding a potential purchase of a new BMW bike. They are a multi brand dealer and have a decent assortment of new BMW's but not the specific model I was interested in, that being an F700GS. They advised that they could locate one for me if I were a serious buyer, (don't know? I've owned over 20 bikes in my 50 yr riding career, including 9 BMW's) I told them I was serious, but I wasn't going to order a bike without seeing it and going for a test ride. The sales guy is a very nice, and knowledgeable professional, who then advised me that they do not allow any pre-purchase test rides on BMW bikes.

I understand that I am at the doorstep of geezerdom, but how the hell do they sell any bikes? I also understand that it is probably a dealer restriction and maybe/possibly BMW exercises no policy regarding test rides, (although BMW is inclined to exercise policy on everything else).

Is this a new marketing plan by BMW? Is it a rarity among other BMW dealers? Or is this the new norm?

Want to test ride a Harley? Just point to the one you want (I don't want) and they will roll it out the door. Triumph? It's even on their website asking if you want a test ride.

So do I need to wait for bike week and they make a reservation?

Before I bought mine, the dealer tossed me the keys and said have fun. I had to put gas in it to get back.

Long beach let me test ride their 1600gt demo, I ended up taking it home that day, I've had no issues testing any bike there, probably helps that I have bought 3 from them. My new RT I watched being assembled and I got to do the test ride, since then a couple buddies with older RT's have got to ride it, they both now enjoy there new 16RT's

Talk about relationships. The team at Long Beach BMW Motorcycles get it.
Charles and his team clearly understand why we ride, why we all ride, and they go to great lengths to build the broader relationship between a dealership and its motorcycling family. Although we have never purchased a bike from them, in some small way we feel like part of that family, albeit possibly the strange sounding cousins from down under.

Test Rides

I wouldn't buy any bike or car from a dealer that wouldn't allow a test ride (or in the case of a car, a test drive). People can talk all they want about Corporate Policy, Liability, Cost etc...It's all Bulls**t. It's called the cost of doing business and if they won't allow me to know what I'm buying, then I'm not buying it from them. I have done business with Hermy's BMW/Triumph for 45 years; There's a reason for that. Actually there are a number of reasons for that but 2 of them are Test Rides and Service Loaners. Honest people who know what they're doing treating customers the way they want to be treated themselves. Another reason I continue to deal with them is the fact that every time I have sent someone to them, in the end, that person thanks me and mentions how well and fairly they were treated. You would think that other businesses would know that but amazingly many don't.

Back