• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Downside to Odyssey Batteries

The 6A charger output for a 680 can be required if deeply discharged. Low output chargers will usually do nothing. I used to use an old 10A meant for maintenance free batteries made in the 70s on the 680 that cranked my track car.

Beware cheap Chinese AGMs. I've had nothing but short life/bad experiences with this stuff. They're not pure lead and often have crappy catalysts so go dry.

Still running one wet battery- in my 89 Transalp. Rather primitive electrics compared to BMW stuff- nothing but a VOM needed to troubleshoot.

My new CTEK charger "might have" reconditioned my PC680, but there's a new 680 sitting on the bench waiting. Sure be glad when all my landscaping work will be finished...lol. Test ride tomorrow.

One disadvantage of the S, is the obstructed battery location. Very hard to jump start...to understate. :)

Never tried one and likely never will. I prefer to stay close to what the bike was designed to use. For an oilhead a good sealed AGM is the way to go. Your charging system will keep it happy at the right voltage when riding and a standard battery tender to top it off if it sits for more than a few weeks. I can see lithium batteries on race bikes where weight is important but that's about it.

Many use the Odyssey PC680 but you need a compatible charger. Ten years service is not unusual for the Odyssey if it is maintained properly. You oilhead charging voltage is not optimum for the Odyssey but the proper maintenance charger will take care of that issue nicely.

Never tried one and likely never will. I prefer to stay close to what the bike was designed to use. For an oilhead a good sealed AGM is the way to go. Your charging system will keep it happy at the right voltage when riding and a standard battery tender to top it off if it sits for more than a few weeks. I can see lithium batteries on race bikes where weight is important but that's about it.

Many use the Odyssey PC680 but you need a compatible charger. Ten years service is not unusual for the Odyssey if it is maintained properly. You oilhead charging voltage is not optimum for the Odyssey but the proper maintenance charger will take care of that issue nicely.

Fwiw - never a problem
Charging/maintaining my pc680's with a standard battery tender brand charger - same as I use with my AGM's

Fwiw - never a problem
Charging/maintaining my pc680's with a standard battery tender brand charger - same as I use with my AGM's

Depends on your definition of "problem".
The issue lies in the voltage output of "standard" chargers like the Batter Tender which is dialed in for lead acid and normal AGM batteries. Most of them put out around 14.2 Volts. Your alternator puts out 13.9 to 14.0 Volts so does not fully charge the Odyssey battery.

Odyssey requires somewhere around 14.7 charging voltage to get up to full capacity and minimize sulfation. Decreased battery capacity and less longevity are the result of not fully charging consistently. There has been tons of information posted on this before here in this forum and on ADVRider. If you read the Odyssey technical literature it's all there too.

I decided to use Odyssey batteries in all 3 bikes and invested in a Odyssey approved charger years ago. Rather than modifying my bike charging systems I just top off the batteries monthly with the proper charger. So far so good.

Depends on your definition of "problem".
The issue lies in the voltage output of "standard" chargers like the Batter Tender which is dialed in for lead acid and normal AGM batteries. Most of them put out around 14.2 Volts. Your alternator puts out 13.9 to 14.0 Volts so does not fully charge the Odyssey battery.

Odyssey requires somewhere around 14.7 charging voltage to get up to full capacity and minimize sulfation. Decreased battery capacity and less longevity are the result of not fully charging consistently. There has been tons of information posted on this before here in this forum and on ADVRider. If you read the Odyssey technical literature it's all there too.

I decided to use Odyssey batteries in all 3 bikes and invested in a Odyssey approved charger years ago. Rather than modifying my bike charging systems I just top off the batteries monthly with the proper charger. So far so good.

Yup, have read the threads and the somewhat "confusing odyssey" literature. Only giving you one data point from a guy with multiple years on multiple batteries. Before I went to Odyssey's I typically swapped batteries every three years on bikes just avoid the hassles but these seem much more robust - although from what I hear the failure mode is abrupt and w/o much warning

Good luck!

..with free shipping. See marketplace for listing and details
Hi Bobby, we really don't allow for sale or bumping of posts in the main forum area. This is cuz the post hangs and in a month someone is looking for something long gone......Which clutters the forum with dead ends and things start to look like the bulletin board at the supermarket :)
No worries, either Steve or myself will delete both these posts later- after you have seen it.
Good luck.
Gary

Back