• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'10 K1300GT stalling

nschmutte

'10 K1300GT, 25,000 miles, has begun stalling as I come to a stop after an hour of riding. It starts right up, but could be a problem if stalling at an inopportune time. Also noticed the first time the trip odometer dropped back to zero. The second time it jumped to 800 miles, and when I pulled into the garage and hit the kill switch, the trip odometer read 98 miles (about right for the ride). I bought this bike used in November, 2014. Forum seems to suggest a Power Commander (what is this?), and a NHTSA recall for stalling. I will contact the dealer tomorrow about the recall, but I would appreciate any input.
Both multi function switches were replaced under recall a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
I bought a K1200GT new in 2007 and have experienced what you described with stalling. The first time was after a 200 mile, or so, freeway ride at 70-80 mph over the course of that distance. When I exited the freeway, and stopped at the bottom of the ramp the engine stalled and died when I attempted to accelerate away from the stop sign. It would not re-start. After a few minutes contemplating my next move, I tried again and it re-started. I still had a half-gallon of gas in the tank. On two other occasions, after riding in heavy two-lane highway traffic in 3-4th gear for several miles (revving higher than I would under normal circumstances), I swung out to pass, rolled back on the throttle to accelerate, and the engine stalled. I ended up diving onto the opposite side shoulder and coasted to a stop. Again only after waiting 5 minutes, would the engine re-start. I described these conditions to my BMW dealership, but they could never duplicate my problem. The problem didn't occur every ride and I went a couple of years without it happening again.

You may be aware that the early K1200GT's were notorious for fueling issues. Rolling on the throttle would not produce a smooth power curve. You can find many strings on the forums about these issues and various ways guys addressed it. Some guys had new airboxes installed, some had new downloads to their ECM, and there were other fixes guys reported on. So in 2011 my solution to the poor low rpm throttle response was to have a Power Commander III installed. It made an instant improvement in my throttle response, and I was a happy guy. The only downside was that my fuel mileage predictably dropped about 10mpg. But I didn't experience the stalling problem for a year or so after the PC3 was installed, and thought that problem got solved too.

However, on a mountain trip in Colorado in 2013, while climbing passes and running consistently at 5k-7.5k+ rpm, it happened again as I reached the top. It felt like the engine was starving for gas, and I thought maybe there was a vacuum being created in the gas tank because of the altitude (12,000 ft) preventing fuel from properly feeding. So, I opened the gas tank lid, and tried to re-start. The engine then popped right off. It stalled a couple of other times, and it seemed that if I opened the tank lid the engine would seemingly start on the next try.

So, when I got back home, I went back to my BMW dealer, described the problems again and got the same "can't duplicate" response. But in addition, the mechanic, who was also did my scheduled maintenance, told me my fueling was too rich, because my plugs were fouled. That made sense because the Power Commander had only been adjusted to basic settings and was probably over-fueling since my mpg had significantly dropped after installation. I decided to take the bike to a local sport bike dyno tuner who specialized in race tuning with Power Commanders. He put it on the dyno, and during one of his dyno runs across the rpm range, the engine stalled like it had repeatedly done to me. He said immediately that the bike had a fueling issue, and his guess was that a fuel line was kinked somewhere, and couldn't deliver sufficient fuel under high demand.

With that information, I went back to my BMW dealer and asked them to start with the injectors on the fuel rail and trace back all the way to the fuel tank and pump. I gave them a detailed write-up of everything I had experienced, as well as the dyno run printout showing how/where the stalling had occurred there. So, when inspecting the fuel line between the pump and the fuel rail, the BMW mechanic found that while there wasn't a "kink", there was a crease in the fuel line, where it appeared to have been kinked at some point along the way and straightened out. Unfortunately, the synthetic fuel line material has a bit of "memory" and the crease wasn't completely straightened, and was restricting at least some flow. While in there, he also discovered that my airbox model number was not correct for my bike. So, the fuel line and the airbox were replaced (both warranted even though I was 2 years out of warranty). Then back to the dyno guy who finished the dyno tuning of the PC3.

There is a happy ending....the dyno tune was terrific, and my air/fuel ratio is now consistent and correct across the rpm range. My MPG climbed back up to the low-mid 40's. The throttle response has never been better, and this GT is a joy to ride. I've put about 7,500 miles on it since the airbox/fuel line repairs, in lots of different riding conditions, and while I'm not sure which fixed the stalling problem, I no longer have that problem even with running the engine at higher rpm's because it has become such a hoot to ride.

I have an 09 K1300GT that had a history of stalling when I bought it. The dealer replaced the O2 sensor (it showed as defective) and I have been using some form of injector cleaner in the fuel since I got it. In the 7000 miles I have had the bike I have had no stalling issues. I have been adding a small quantity in every other tank.

Many on the forums for this bike have had luck with the additives stopping the stalling. Should not be needed but it seems to work. Techron is the additive most often mentioned.

Interesting about the kinked fuel line and airbox! Will remember if I start having any issues. So far my bike has been flawless.

K1300GT stalling

While exploring several forums on the topic, I discovered a NHTSA recall in Dec 2009 for K1300S and GTs mfg. between 9/08 and 11/09 suggesting "Poor fuel quality may lead to small deposits within the throttle bodies during engine operation in a low RPM range, typically near idle speed (when coming to a stop). Air flow could be sufficiently restricted and engine stalling could occur." This symptom is identical to the one I experienced, and my GT was manufactured in 9/09.
"BMW will notify owners and repair the motorcycles by updating the engine management software free of charge."
I have an appointment next week to replace the rear wheel flange, and they will "try to duplicate the stalling issue", which is not likely to happen since it only occurs very occasionally. I will present them with the NHTSA recall notice and see what happens.

I also read those forums.

Mine had the update from BMW for the ECU but still stalled. It has not occured since adding a little techron additive every other tankful or so. Others have found the same. Maybe coincidence but no stalling now in 7000 miles.

I got introduced to the bike by my dealer giving it to me to ride as a loaner when my other bike was in for service. They asked me to ride it alot and see if it still stalls. It did stall but then I added some techron for the heck of it and it has never stalled since.

I later bought the bike. No regrets.

I sure thought by 09, the airbox and idle control valve had been addressed :scratch

Here is a thread about the airbox...I have upgraded two GT's with this. You can see the difference in size of the air control valve in a few pics.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33346

These bikes dislike stale fuel for sure and the winter blends of alcogas. We regularly add Techron to our S's and run thru a tankfull to clear it out and the old fuel. We still get an occasional stall on the 05's if the fuel is old.

Sadly, a typical tech ride is not long enough to get everything real toasty to duplicate the issue...billable shop time and all. If you could get them to ride it right after a long ride to the shop...maybe.
Good luck and let us know what comes of it.

edit: I have pulled some really clogged/wrinkled from suction air elements out of the GT's as well...the S's have duals so more air available. Last week one was full of butterflies and very restricted

top tier fuel solves stalling problem

Stalling occurred on three consecutive rides on a tank of fuel from Speedway gas station (93 oct), which triggered my initial forum entry. The next fuel I put in was BP 93 and have not had a stalling problem in two tanks. I googled "top tier gas" and found a list of refiners that have not reduced the detergent content in their fuel. Marathon (aka Speedway) was not on that list. I am hoping that solves the stalling issue.
Subsequent to the above, I had two stalling issues on the BP93 gas, one while about to enter a "round-about" that had the potential to be troublesome. I since have purchased a bottle of Techron and will try that with the next fill-up.

Last edited:
Stalling occurred on three consecutive rides on a tank of fuel from Speedway gas station (93 oct), which triggered my initial forum entry. The next fuel I put in was BP 93 and have not had a stalling problem in two tanks. I googled "top tier gas" and found a list of refiners that have not reduced the detergent content in their fuel. Marathon (aka Speedway) was not on that list. I am hoping that solves the stalling issue.
Subsequent to the above, I had two stalling issues on the BP93 gas, one while about to enter a "round-about" that had the potential to be troublesome. I since have purchased a bottle of Techron and will try that with the next fill-up.

Any update on your success with the Techron and BP93 octane fuel? I am curious because the new to me 2010 GT started stalling and while I immediately went home and added some Techron, I have not been able to run some good Exxon or Shell through it. I am hopeful the combination will cure what I am seeing, as the recall was completed and everything else seems in fine working order.

I have put one tank of BP93 with Techron through the bike, and still have the stalling problem. Occasionally, at low idle it gets rough and the rpm's fluctuate from about 1200 to 800. Soon after it stalls. I am hoping that the occasional rough idle is crap working through the system. Will start a second tank with Techron today. I took it to the dealer for the rear flange recall, and they checked the software and found it current, 5 mile test ride did not duplicate the stalling (surprise). They offered to perform a 3-6 hour diagnostic (wonder what that cost), but I said I would wait (am heading to Billings next week). So far the stalling has been more of a nuisance, and a disappointment in an otherwise great bike.

Once tank of Shell super and some Techron seem to have done the trick for me. I am hopeful it was just a bad tank of gas leftover from the previous owner.

Still stalling

Once tank of Shell super and some Techron seem to have done the trick for me. I am hopeful it was just a bad tank of gas leftover from the previous owner.

I have been through several tanks of 93 gas with an additive. The bike still stalls, and it is becoming more frequent. Once it seemed to be related to longer rides, but lately it occurs much sooner in the ride. I really like the bike otherwise, and will continue to try to locate the problem, but somewhere down the line if I cannot resolve the problem I will trade for a more reliable Japanese bike.

I have been through several tanks of 93 gas with an additive. The bike still stalls, and it is becoming more frequent. Once it seemed to be related to longer rides, but lately it occurs much sooner in the ride. I really like the bike otherwise, and will continue to try to locate the problem, but somewhere down the line if I cannot resolve the problem I will trade for a more reliable Japanese bike.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can nail the problem down. So far I have not had any more stalling on my 09 K1300GT.

I will be taking it on a long trip next week - hopefully I can say the same post ride!

Just a quick question for the OP, as Henzilla suggests, have the air filters been replaced? Since we know the NHTSA statement is that deposits help restrict airflow at low rpm idle, contributing to stalling, a set of clogged filters might do the same? Plenty of DIY info out there to pull and replace them if they need it. It was definitely easier on my S than it is on a GT, but still just a couple hour job as I recall. At 22,000 miles, mine were not plugged, but for sure were flowing less air than fresh new ones. I also was curious if he ever got a tie-in with the trip meter readings on any subsequent stalls. Of the few times my S stalled prior to the new software being issued, I never had any other electrical things associated with the stalling. Also, several of the replacement switch assemblies were reported to have been 'bad' as well and were replaced a second time, though the issues there normally did not include stalling.

Back