• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 Compatible Bosch Starter Relay Replacements

kentuvman

Hi Gang,

Mine is an '87 K75s - About 2-weeks ago, last time I rode her, forgot to unplug the always hot GPS connection. Was short on time today trying to meet a friend for the Twins Game and my time became shorter when I was greeted with a dead battery. So, thought to throw on the battery charger and use the "start" function to get her going, figuring by the time I covered 30 miles, the battery would be charged & I could hook up my tender at my friends place.

Hooked up the charger & lights came on but when I hit the starter button it was a slow rah rah rah until the starter relay got stuck & bike started trying to crank on its own - so quickly disconnected positive terminal, set the charger on a normal charge and hopped on my R65LS Airhead (nice having a spare bike :)

This evening, with battery all charged, I lifted tank and used a busted socket wrench and a light ball peen hammer and gave the relay a nice healthy tap. When I connected the positive cable to the battery, all was good and bike started up!!!

So, I wrote down the Bosch stater really number which is 0 332 002 161
12V 75A

I looked on Ebay and see some that are close with the last 3 numbers being different, like 151 etc.

Did some more searching and saw a similar question posted on another forum with no answer - so with this said, here is the question and hoping someone in our forum can provide insight here::scratch

I thought it might be worthwhile to attempt to clarify which starter relays can be used.

the unit on my bike is bosch part # 0 332 002 161

the link in this thread http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=3262.msg19736#msg19736 is to bosch unit # 0 332 002 150

I called texas industrial and they checked with a technician who said the 150 would work fine. The difference being an added resistor to the 161 module.

There is also this module being sold as an "exact bmw replacement" here http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BOSCH-Starter-Relay-BMW-K-61-31-1-459-008-p/rel-k008.htm

If you look at the diagram imprinted is contains 2 diodes and is identical to the diagram on the bosch unit # 0 332 002 156 (http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays_0332002156.asp)

Not to confuse matters but there are Tyco part numbers which correlate to these bosch units.

V23232 D0001 X001 corresponds to the bosch 150. This tyco unit is noted as workable in the thread listed above, which would jive with what texas industrial told me re: the 150 unit.

V23232 A0001 X003 corresponds to the bosch 156

It appears there are 2 scenarios.

(1) the bosch 0 332 002 150, and tyco V23232 D0001 X001 are viable alternatives to the 161.

(2) if the euromotoelectrics site is correct in listing as OEM a module showing 2 diodes, then along with (1) there is also the option of the bosch 0 332 002 156 and tyco V23232 A0001 X003

Does anyone have 1st hand experience with these other relays? It would be good knowledge to know if there are 4 alternative modules, if only to have a cheap spare.

When I had that issue years ago on my K100 I opened the relay, filed the contacts smooth and forgot about it.

My concern is being in timbuktu and having the starter relay activate out of the blue. As long as battery is charged, will the relay remain open or is there now the potential for it to get stuck?

Potential for relay to get stuck is only during cranking. If it doesn't get stuck then it will not do it "on its own"

If you have same relay with diodes take it. Diodes are there to prevent kickback so it is a better relay then the original.

Back