• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

This may be a little off topic. Trying to fill the time until I have better intel on when my bike will be fixed. And I can already feel the $2,500 burning a hole in my pocket.

I know their are others out there in this forum who are trying to decide what to spend their well (waited for) earned $2,500 dollars on. I'm considering both a custom seat and an Akrapovic slip on exhaust system. Anyone had any experience with either, sure could use some intelligent feedback. Thanks in advance for your help...

It's always nice to help someone else spend their money. :)
I had a Remus on my 08 GS and liked the sound. No difference in performance. I also had a Russell seat which was worth its weight in gold. And you have the time to send it off and have it made while the bike is down.

How much of a weight savings would you say you received from this upgrade?

If you look up the shipping weights for each muffler on line, the stock is 10lbs and the Akrapovic is 7lbs. The GS felt like a much bigger differential so I personally wouldn't swap it to save 3lbs.

RT vs GT

OK. So I found a GT and made a deal with the dealer that is similar to what others have accomplished. Then, I called customer service. When they got involved, the deal fell apart and the dealer sold the bike to another customer. I'm still not sure what happened. I think the customer service rep delayed too long while he checked with the supervisors. He still didn't understand the situation.

Best of luck guys and gals.

Ken

OK. So I found a GT and made a deal with the dealer that is similar to what others have accomplished. Then, I called customer service. When they got involved, the deal fell apart and the dealer sold the bike to another customer. I'm still not sure what happened. I think the customer service rep delayed too long while he checked with the supervisors. He still didn't understand the situation.

Ken

I suspect this reflects on what kind of profit the dealer gets with a fresh sale as opposed to the RT trade. I don't blame the Dealer, I don't think BMW is being as fair with the dealers as they are with the owners.

Ken

Sorry to hear that Ken. Sounds like the dealer wasn't treating your situation as a priority - you shouldn't have had to do anything with BMW USA. Both dealers I dealt with in my area were willing to work out the deal without customer service's involvement. Both said it would be a long time before they knew what was going to happen with the traded RTs - owners should not be caught up in that problem. I would recommend you escalate your situation with BMW.

I am going to wait

Sorry to hear that Ken. Sounds like the dealer wasn't treating your situation as a priority - you shouldn't have had to do anything with BMW USA. Both dealers I dealt with in my area were willing to work out the deal without customer service's involvement. Both said it would be a long time before they knew what was going to happen with the traded RTs - owners should not be caught up in that problem. I would recommend you escalate your situation with BMW.

Just got my response. decided I am going to wait for the repair---take the 2500 and pay it off. I hope that all that are waiting will take first repair priority. Everybody that traded, and the ones that were not sold can wait. They are not wanted machines at the moment and can wait for the rest us who are waiting it out. I have no statistic but I am guessing it will be between 500 and 600 bikes in the US---maybe less.
Guess I will just gear up and ride my lawnmower. At least on that I can drink and drive on my own property.
TC

RT vs GT

I agree with you. It is best to make the deal without the involvement of customer service. Live and learn I guess.

Ken

Customer Service

I just got off of the customer service line after 50 minutes on hold. Basically, BMW has lost me as a customer. I am done with their cars too. It isn't about the resolution. I think that the offers are fair. It is about the poor communication with customer service. I already missed a trip because of communication. I need to control what is necessary to make this next one work. I'll see you guys and gals on the road! Safe travels!

Ken

The dealer makes or breaks the, well, deal!

Interesting reading about various experiences with BMW Customer Service and various dealers.

I am now the happy owner of a K16GT, having sent my R12RT back to the dealer in a trade. I loved the RT but I was also happy to try a sixer and I am very pleased with it after nearly 100 miles this past week.

I cannot begin to say enough good things about Morton's in Fredericksburg. Owner Jeff Massey and sales manager Steve Andersen, along with all the others have bent over backwards to make this customer, now on his 6th BMW, satisfied.

I attempted a couple of return calls to BMWCS, and quickly realized that well meaning though they might be, it was quite pointless talking to them. Just work with the dealer.

I've had only good experience when calling BMW customer service. No long waits and knowledgeable people. I guess I've been lucky with the times that I call. As much as I wanted to trade the RT in, I just can't find anything else that fits me as well at the RT does.

I experienced my second call back by a BMWNA service rep this morning and it was an interesting, all be it, non-productive conversation.

I did ask for additional compensation along with a BMWNA one year extended warranty as he continued to keyboard the whole time, seemingly recording the conversation. He stated, my request would be submitted for consideration on up the ladder and he would get back to me within five business days with an answer by phone. I asked him to respond by email only and he declined, saying it would be "handled only over the phone and not by email". Interesting to say the least ... hum!

Two other take-aways ... He is still quoting late August on his end and those owners who took option # one ($2,500) would be first severed by order of acceptance and not by original purchase date or vin# as my dealer first stated. So a little BMWNA arm twisting to sally a quicker owner choice it seems. I did indicate to him I would choose #one plus the extra stipend along with the extended warranty and I'm not sure if he actually put me in line as of today or if it's still to be determined ... probably not in line as I'm asking for more.

Good luck and good riding to all no matter your choice in this matter.

for 2015 --blue at last!

http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm

2015-rt.jpg

BMW USA press release:

BMW R 1200 RT

As of model year 2015, the R 1200 RT will be supplied in a new two-colour paint finish and can also be fitted with the BMW Motorrad Keyless Ride System as an ex-works option. This enables the steering lock, fuel tank can and storage compartments to be locked and unlocked without using a key. The motorcycle is started using the starter button as before. With Keyless Ride, the key can always remain in the rider's clothing.
An overview of the new features in the R 1200 RT:

Keyless Ride (option)
New two-colour paint finish San Marino blue metallic/ Granite grey metallic matt

Of the previous paint finishes, Quartz blue metallic is no longer available

Full press release: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__6629

Last edited:
My first two BMWs were blue...1973 R75/5 toaster tank and 1975 R75/6...just my opinion, but they haven't offered a decent blue since the 70s. Black became my color of choice, but, I still like the old blues.

Well, I like it! Just like life, about the time I swear something off it gets real attractive!

I may be mixing up my distinct distaste for the customer service people with an addiction!!!

Ken

I experienced my second call back by a BMWNA service rep this morning and it was an interesting, all be it, non-productive conversation.

I did ask for additional compensation along with a BMWNA one year extended warranty as he continued to keyboard the whole time, seemingly recording the conversation. He stated, my request would be submitted for consideration on up the ladder and he would get back to me within five business days with an answer by phone. I asked him to respond by email only and he declined, saying it would be "handled only over the phone and not by email". Interesting to say the least ... hum!

Two other take-aways ... He is still quoting late August on his end and those owners who took option # one ($2,500) would be first severed by order of acceptance and not by original purchase date or vin# as my dealer first stated. So a little BMWNA arm twisting to sally a quicker owner choice it seems. I did indicate to him I would choose #one plus the extra stipend along with the extended warranty and I'm not sure if he actually put me in line as of today or if it's still to be determined ... probably not in line as I'm asking for more.

Good luck and good riding to all no matter your choice in this matter.

VENT ON -- This is interesting and adds to an already unbelievable list of conflicting reports from BMW Customer Service (Ohio), Customer Relations (New Jersey) and posters in general. I don't doubt the majority of posters are sharing exactly what they've been told...but we've been told so much by people who don't really know anything and told nothing except Don't Ride and Here's Four Options (that may be workable or not), by the one source who knows everything.

The "first served" list, if that's what it is, doesn't exist according to two Customer Service people I've talked to. The buy-back procedure is a drawn out adventure, where getting a response from New Jersey is like pulling eye teeth and the trade option depends totally on the dealers at hand....some won't, some will only do it for their customers and some will, but only off MSRP of new bike. I am amazed at the posters indicating they've gone from MSRP on their RT to MSRP on say, a GTL and reportedly paid (almost) nothing additional. There's a $6,000 difference between those bikes...and dealers are just eating that...wow!

Chicago dealer's GM tells me they have next to know communication on the topic...they don't even know if the fix is total replacement or a shock component switch-out. And there has never been an official comment on a realistic fix window. Posters have mentioned July to October, even November...no one really knows. Sad, that at the one month mark there isn't a definite corporate bulletin to individual owners regarding a realistic timeline. Well, maybe next week...or maybe October, something will be out.

When this all started I thought wait for the fix. After dealing with Customer Service, that alone has me looking to bail...nice bike, but comes with way too much "luggage".

VENT OFF

VENT ON -- This is interesting and adds to an already unbelievable list of conflicting reports from BMW Customer Service (Ohio), Customer Relations (New Jersey) and posters in general. I don't doubt the majority of posters are sharing exactly what they've been told...but we've been told so much by people who don't really know anything and told nothing except Don't Ride and Here's Four Options (that may be workable or not), by the one source who knows everything.

The "first served" list, if that's what it is, doesn't exist according to two Customer Service people I've talked to. The buy-back procedure is a drawn out adventure, where getting a response from New Jersey is like pulling eye teeth and the trade option depends totally on the dealers at hand....some won't, some will only do it for their customers and some will, but only off MSRP of new bike. I am amazed at the posters indicating they've gone from MSRP on their RT to MSRP on say, a GTL and reportedly paid (almost) nothing additional. There's a $6,000 difference between those bikes...and dealers are just eating that...wow!

Chicago dealer's GM tells me they have next to know communication on the topic...they don't even know if the fix is total replacement or a shock component switch-out. And there has never been an official comment on a realistic fix window. Posters have mentioned July to October, even November...no one really knows. Sad, that at the one month mark there isn't a definite corporate bulletin to individual owners regarding a realistic timeline. Well, maybe next week...or maybe October, something will be out.

When this all started I thought wait for the fix. After dealing with Customer Service, that alone has me looking to bail...nice bike, but comes with way too much "luggage".

VENT OFF

I am starting to lose faith with BMW Customer Service, 3 calls and it pretty much "Happy Talk" with a we will be back to you. Gave them my first choice, Trade, went to my dealer and on there end they have to take the 2014 back at full value and floor plan at that value. They would stand to lose big dollars, my dealer is not a big guys and being a business man I certainly understand his position. BMW is playing a bit of 3 card Monte here is my opinion.

Having said that my dealer is a standup guy and has said we will get a deal done and take care of me regardless of what Happens with BMW. I have since call, yesterday, BMW and said I want the refund and out well that promoted another " we will be back with you in 5 business days. I am about feed up with this seems to depend on the individual dealers responding rather than the motorcycle maker responsible. I understand it's a vendor supplied item but sourced, approved, installed and sold by BMW.

I have found a nice 2012 well Farkled Rt, buying it next week, turning this over to my Attorney. The CSR's are a buffer for BMW, this has been handled shoddily from the get go and if I read between the lines about stated resolution and settlement deals it sounds very much dealer specific and dealer driven. That's good and bad, it should not be the dealers responsibility to make we RTW owners right. I also can't find one example of a buy back that has actually happen, does anyone have specific first hand knowledge that someone has finished this option.

Nice bike but in hind sight I should have kept my 2009 RT and been able to enjoy my summer trips planned for this year.

Last edited:
Addresses

I was told to follow a procedure to get the refund, and then told by another rep, who called me, that I couldn't do that. When I asked for clarification, she hung up on me. I am going to follow the initial rep's advise and see what happens. He seemed like a good guy, but maybe just didn't have the information. It is hard to tell isn't it? For me, one of the frustrating issues is communication. If we could communicate by email then we could reduce the misunderstandings.

Did you find an address or contact for BMW in the United States? My attempts to get a contact just loops back to customer service.

Thanks.

Ken

I am starting to lose faith with BMW Customer Service, 3 calls and it pretty much "Happy Talk" with a we will be back to you. Gave them my first choice, Trade, went to my dealer and on there end they have to take the 2014 back at full value and floor plan at that value. They would stand to lose big dollars, my dealer is not a big guys and being a business man I certainly understand his position. BMW is playing a bit of 3 card Monte here is my opinion.

Having said that my dealer is a standup guy and has said we will get a deal done and take care of me regardless of what Happens with BMW. I have since call, yesterday, BMW and said I want the refund and out well that promoted another " we will be back with you in 5 business days. I am about feed up with this seems to depend on the individual dealers responding rather than the motorcycle maker responsible. I understand it's a vendor supplied item but sourced, approved, installed and sold by BMW.

I have found a nice 2012 well Farkled Rt, buying it next week, turning this over to my Attorney. The CSR's are a buffer for BMW, this has been handled shoddily from the get go and if I read between the lines about stated resolution and settlement deals it sounds very much dealer specific and dealer driven. That's good and bad, it should not be the dealers responsibility to make we RTW owners right. I also can't find one example of a buy back that has actually happen, does anyone have specific first hand knowledge that someone has finished this option.

Nice bike but in hind sight I should have kept my 2009 RT and been able to enjoy my summer trips planned for this year.

I share your frustrations and it's much deeper with me for personal reasons, which I won't make public here.

Like owners, the dealers are left mostly out of the BMWNA loop and usually find out about Corp policy the same time owners are informed by the bean counters. The situation with respect to communication has devolved to a level I didn't expect from BMWNA. While I'll remain patient concerning my request for an additional stipend and one year extended warranty, I plan to pursue further action on Monday as it is thirty days since the stop ride order rendered my RT useless. I'll file a complaint with the NTSB and the State of Texas AG along with the Department of Transportation.

I don't harbor any realistic expectations any of this will help as my summer is already shot to hell. Reading other forums, it does seem areas of the world are getting quoted amounts and much different (less and more then less) compensation packages then USA owners.

There does seem to be an indifferent resignation to the whole affair on the forums considering more than nine hundred owners are directly affected in North America as BMWNA remains moot.

Good luck to all.

C'ya down the road.

I was told to follow a procedure to get the refund, and then told by another rep, who called me, that I couldn't do that. When I asked for clarification, she hung up on me. I am going to follow the initial rep's advise and see what happens. He seemed like a good guy, but maybe just didn't have the information. It is hard to tell isn't it? For me, one of the frustrating issues is communication. If we could communicate by email then we could reduce the misunderstandings.

Did you find an address or contact for BMW in the United States? My attempts to get a contact just loops back to customer service.

Thanks.

Ken
I made two phone calls, and the rest was handled by email, including the transmittal of the repurchase form to me. The person telling you all contact must be by phone is just wrong.

Back