• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

My friends at BMW Motorad said, today, that they would be replacing the complete ESA 'system', not just the rear shock, and that they expected to have a 'when' answer by the end of this week or next. YMMV...

PS - These folks have been more than courteous and professional every time I've had contact with them. They simply don't know the answers that they don't know the answer to.

My friends at BMW Motorad said, today, that they would be replacing the complete ESA 'system', not just the rear shock, and that they expected to have a 'when' answer by the end of this week or next. YMMV...

PS - These folks have been more than courteous and professional every time I've had contact with them. They simply don't know the answers that they don't know the answer to.

They are courteous as you say. However, professional...I'm starting to wonder. I'm into the buyback phase and I cannot get them to respond to my, "have you received all the documents I've sent", email. And I'm speaking and emailing a Rep in New Jersey (I'm pass the first line of BMW CS at phone number provided for we customers). I know they received my Buyers Order and insurance/registration documentation...they needed one more item which was sent three days ago. I'm starting to wonder if this is a set approach...trying to drag out the process till "fix" is available. Assume they'd rather pay the $2,500.00 than buy the unit back. But perhaps I'm too cynical.

Last edited:
For your consideration-
This is the first time I have ever heard of a stop operating order of any kind of vehicle. I don't think anybody at any manufacturer welcomes a senerio like this. When you really look at the time line and the Global scope of what is involved in BMW issuing the stop ride, knowing full well the customer/social media backlash, still having to do a redesign to get the bike on the road again, answer customer and dealer inquires .....
This is a big deal that to my knowledge has never happened before. I doubt there is/was a plan in place to take care of an event that has never taken place before.
Yeah it tough if you are caught up in it, I don't see how it could be any better seeing how this kind of event is new to them (BMW).
OM

How each indivivual responds to this crisis is unique to each person. I checked my options, considered if I even wanted a bike anymore, checked other motorcycles, rode some and decided the RT is what I want. So I will wait out the fix. I support each decision other people make and hope BMW does each of us right. I think the buy back folks will get the rawest deal in terms of how long it takes. From what I am hearing it is a 6-8 week process to get your money. So I will sit out the heat and wait for the repairs to be done and ride my horse for outside entertainment. Slower than my RT byt possible safer.

For your consideration-
This is the first time I have ever heard of a stop operating order of any kind of vehicle.
OM

Harley had a "stop ride" order on their 2014 bikes last fall - it made pretty big news, but I suspect didn't hurt the brand because they fixed the problem immediately.

The posted letter from BMW to NHTSA yesterday had the best information in it about the problem and the timeline. I am still surprised at how long it is taking to resolve it given when the problem was discovered. I would bet a large amount of money that BMW knew the timeline for repairs back when the problem was diagnosed and I don't know why they wouldn't disclose that information so owners could make smart decisions.

It's on Facebook - posted to the "BMW r1200rt 2014 Recall" group.

Also posted on this group's page this morning - the first RT rider reporting that his bike has been fixed by BMW - I think he's in the Netherlands.

Edit: Turns out the repair was an aftermarket solution from WP - not a BMW AG fix.

Last edited:
So a broken shock shaft might cause instability but an exploded U-joint or a failed final drive unit are not BMWs problem. Gimme a break.:banghead

They are courteous as you say. However, professional...I'm starting to wonder. I'm into the buyback phase and I cannot get them to respond to my, "have you received all the documents I've sent", email. And I'm speaking and emailing a Rep in New Jersey (I'm pass the first line of BMW CS at phone number provided for we customers). I know they received my Buyers Order and insurance/registration documentation...they needed one more item which was sent three days ago. I'm starting to wonder if this is a set approach...trying to drag out the process till "fix" is available. Assume they'd rather pay the $2,500.00 than buy the unit back. But perhaps I'm too cynical.

Just completed the trade of my 2014 R 1200 RT for a 2014 K 1600 GTL yesterday. I was most pleased that they only charged taxes on the difference in price of the 2 bikes (less incentive and dealer discount). Rode home on moderate to very twisty, hilly back roads (per break-in instructions). I know I am not good enough a rider to push the RT to its limits, and I doubt that I will push the GTL to its limits, though I will get closer.

I was pleased with my dealer, Eurosport Asheville (especially Justin Roberts), and BMW NA. Not so much with Roadside Assistance as it was a bugger to try and convince them that the bike had to go to Asheville and not Charlotte (which was the closest dealership). After several messages/phone calls from BMW NA, they finally got it resolved.

Am I happy with the whole situation, not quite. Do I think I came out with a good deal, you betcha.

Hope everyone gets it worked out to their satisfaction as well.

Last edited:
Just completed the trade of my 2014 R 1200 RT for a 2014 K 1600 GTL yesterday. I was most pleased that they only charged taxes on the difference in price of the 2 bikes (less incentive and dealer discount). Rode home on moderate to very twisty, hilly back roads (per break-in instructions). I know I am not good enough a rider to push the RT to its limits, and I doubt that I will push the GTL to its limits, though I will get closer.

I was pleased with my dealer, Eurosport Asheville (especially Justin Roberts), and BMW NA. Not so much with Roadside Assistance as it was a bugger to try and convince them that the bike had to go to Asheville and not Charlotte (which was the closest dealership). After several messages/phone calls from BMW NA, they finally got it resolved.

Am I happy with the whole situation, not quite. Do I think I came out with a good deal, you betcha.

Your sentiment expresses very much what I've been feeling. I'm really happy with my K-bike; it's incredible. But watching my RT being hauled away today was sad - it's a great bike, and I wish I could have done many miles on it. I asked my dealer to let me know when BMW figures out what they're are going to do with the RT's - who knows, maybe it will return some day.

How each indivivual responds to this crisis is unique to each person. I checked my options, considered if I even wanted a bike anymore, checked other motorcycles, rode some and decided the RT is what I want. So I will wait out the fix. I support each decision other people make and hope BMW does each of us right. I think the buy back folks will get the rawest deal in terms of how long it takes. From what I am hearing it is a 6-8 week process to get your money. So I will sit out the heat and wait for the repairs to be done and ride my horse for outside entertainment. Slower than my RT byt possible safer.

According to "The Grid" and my buddy who sold his back to the dealer (and went back to Harley), checks should arrive in about 21 days. But this is for the BuyBack program. No telling how long it will take for the "inconvenience"
checks.

Justin is a good guy!

He gave me a deal on the Magnesium Beige K1600GTL that I could not pass on. Brought it home yesterday. So far we love it.

I really really wanted an RT in the stable but the deal on the K1600GTL was just too good.

Eurosport Asheville.... my dealer & garage NEXT time ; for the 2nd time!

Justin is a good guy!

He gave me a deal on the Magnesium Beige K1600GTL that I could not pass on. Brought it home yesterday. So far we love it.

I really really wanted an RT in the stable but the deal on the K1600GTL was just too good.

I'm not surprised to hear Eurosport is taking care of their RTW customers any way they can. Last year my 13' RT was purchased
from states away & sight unseen ( a demo ) from John & Justin... with thorough communication & fantastic customer service; and they made it seem easy. It was a very enjoyable experience and I ride/return there for my scheduled service (campground/motels nearby). I don't know how many RTW's will be traded back to them....
But I may be in line to trade for one of your's....anybody paint one red? :brow

"travel'n" John.... may good fortune guide your travels
R12RT at Cincinnati

I picked up my new GS on Saturday, paying for it in cash, and turned in my RT. Still uncertain whether it will be a trade (with the $1,000 credit) or a buy back without. I am very fortunate to be able to do the deal without the immediate money from the RT (the repurchase will take 30 days, I understand). I get the impression that the deal between BMWNA and the dealers on the trade situation is very fluid, with nothing yet set in stone. As I was on the fence between GS and RT anyway, and had a long planned trip in a week, this was the way to go for me. I will post again when I find out which way it goes. My dealer (San Jose BMW) was great throughout the process.

What to do with my $2,500

This may be a little off topic. Trying to fill the time until I have better intel on when my bike will be fixed. And I can already feel the $2,500 burning a hole in my pocket.

I know their are others out there in this forum who are trying to decide what to spend their well (waited for) earned $2,500 dollars on. I'm considering both a custom seat and an Akrapovic slip on exhaust system. Anyone had any experience with either, sure could use some intelligent feedback. Thanks in advance for your help...

It's always nice to help someone else spend their money. :)

This may be a little off topic. Trying to fill the time until I have better intel on when my bike will be fixed. And I can already feel the $2,500 burning a hole in my pocket.

I know their are others out there in this forum who are trying to decide what to spend their well (waited for) earned $2,500 dollars on. I'm considering both a custom seat and an Akrapovic slip on exhaust system. Anyone had any experience with either, sure could use some intelligent feedback. Thanks in advance for your help...

Just sent my seats to Ron Miller for his Kontour Seat, good time to get seats done since I cannot ride it, but looking forward to having some extremely comfortable seating win the bike is repaired. All paid for by BMW bucks

FWIW: I replaced my muffler with a Akrapovic on my GS a few years ago and it saved quite a few pounds. I wouldn't do it for the sound or performance - it was strictly a weight reduction for the bike.

FWIW: I replaced my muffler with a Akrapovic on my GS a few years ago and it saved quite a few pounds. I wouldn't do it for the sound or performance - it was strictly a weight reduction for the bike.

How much of a weight savings would you say you received from this upgrade?

Back