• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Blue Ridge Parkway in April

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
Three other old codgers and I rode about 75 or 80 miles of the BRP today near the Va./NC. line. The Parkway is a very different experience when you ride it when the leaves are not on the trees. The things you can see without the cover of leaves are amazing. The mountains, deep valleys, rocks, farms, normally hidden houses and other sights are something to behold. The traffic was light but we saw vehicles from TN, CA, NY, and other places but little local traffic. We saw about a dozen motorcycles of all styles.

I live within about 60 miles of the Parkway and am able to ride it several times during the colder months and a sunny but chilly day like today is my favorite time to do it. If you ever have the opportunity, you should do it.

The weather has been rough on the pavement this winter and there were numerous potholes, There were also a lot of trees that had fallen across the road that had been left on the side after they were removed.

My wife and I drove the parkway several hundred miles early one spring.

I concur with all you said about the views.

When we did it, there were still several sections on the parkway with unplowed snow a couple feet deep. That's when we learned to travel on some of the side roads where residents travel.

Great experience.

Three other old codgers and I rode about 75 or 80 miles of the BRP today near the Va./NC. line. The Parkway is a very different experience when you ride it when the leaves are not on the trees. The things you can see without the cover of leaves are amazing. The mountains, deep valleys, rocks, farms, normally hidden houses and other sights are something to behold. The traffic was light but we saw vehicles from TN, CA, NY, and other places but little local traffic. We saw about a dozen motorcycles of all styles.

I live within about 60 miles of the Parkway and am able to ride it several times during the colder months and a sunny but chilly day like today is my favorite time to do it. If you ever have the opportunity, you should do it.

The weather has been rough on the pavement this winter and there were numerous potholes, There were also a lot of trees that had fallen across the road that had been left on the side after they were removed.

I completely agree with you...pre/post-leaf riding is the best. I was on the BRP yesterday (rode from US 276...mile 411.9 to Rt 128-Mt. Mitchell...mile 355) and the day was spectacular...cool, clear, breezy...visibility for miles...50+??. The views from Mt. Mitchell were jaw dropping.

I was on Clingmans Dome about a week ago...same story.

Last edited:
Back