• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tennessee Bill to Repeal Motorcycle Helmet Law Fails

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
The latest effort to get rid of Tennessee?s motorcycle helmet requirement has failed in a Senate committee.

The Senate Finance Committee voted 6-5 against the measure sponsored by Republican Sen. Mike Bell of Riceville.

Bell?s bill would have allowed motorcyclists at least 25 years old to ride without a helmet if they could prove they had at least $200,000 in medical insurance and $100,000 in liability coverage.

Hospitals providing head trauma care have long been opposed to the perennial bill. Tim Wright, the Tennessee regional president of the AAA auto club, also voiced opposition to the measure, arguing that states without helmet laws saw an increase in their injury rates.

I didn't even know this was making the rounds again. One of our border states, Kentucky, has a no helmet law. I've heard of instances where riders from there come down to Tennessee and get involved in crashes with resulting head injuries, get medical care and stiff the treating hospitals.

I didn't even know this was making the rounds again. One of our border states, Kentucky, has a no helmet law. I've heard of instances where riders from there come down to Tennessee and get involved in crashes with resulting head injuries, get medical care and stiff the treating hospitals.

Let me see if I got that...so (if I'm from KY) and I know I might have an accident, I ride to a State (TN) that requires a helmet and have my accident there, so I can get medical attention and then don't pay the hospital bill? Seems one would also get a ticket for not wearing a helmet, if that's the point here. And, why not just stay in ones own State (KY), have an accident and not pay that hospital? That way one would avoid the ticket because one isn't required to wear a helmet (KY). Did I get that straight?

Let's see if I can get this right. A state government is attaching mandate making motorcycle riders buy certain insurance policies to the wearing of helmets? First one thing , then another. This is how regs and regulation works. Set a precedence, puff chest with public interest, let chips fall on whomever.

Considering there are about 310 million people in the US, very few own bikes of which even fewer are on the road at any given time. Some of which are ridden in said state, of which some are ridden without a helmet. Of these possibly someone may have an accident, in which incident severe enough injuries may cause extended medical care, which may not be covered by an already existing policy.

I would put the actuaries to work before passing anymore regulations. In Minnesota last year, in the local paper, there appeared news of every fatal motorcycle accident the next day. Never saw that in the past. I asked myself, why now? Is someone on a mission? Saving motorcyclists? Maybe those who have, "loud pipes" and ride with no "ATAGATT"? Or maybe eliminating such undesirable activity? And if these riders don't stop, can they be brought to heel? Insurance, who'd a thunk it. Two cents, FWIW.

Again, the thing to keep in mind if you live in a Helmet Law State: If you travel on a MC to a non-Helmet Law state and are involved in a collision while not wearing a helmet, your insurer is not obligated to provide ANY coverage to you. Home state rule applies to you.

Pretty sure Obamacare doesn't require the usage of a helmet or even a question regarding the use of a motorcycle. In fact, there are no pre-existing limitations therefore, you can have a brain injury from a prior motorcycle accident, while not wearing a helmet in any State and still qualify for coverage.

In MN last year 60 motorcyclist deaths. Can't find exact info on which were attributable to lack of helmet use. Up a little from 2012. Other vehicle deaths in MN hovers around four hundred each year, pedestrian coming in at 31, surprisingly. A regulator's job is never done, however. And when reading some of a long investigative report on stats, helmet use was reported as merely being or not being used, not whether responsible for death or injury.

I have known one individual who made a bad move on a bike and was wheel chair bound. I know and see huge numbers of citizens whose life styles have a much more negative collective effect on my health insurance rates. This too could be solved with regulations.

Let me see if I got that...so (if I'm from KY) and I know I might have an accident, I ride to a State (TN) that requires a helmet and have my accident there, so I can get medical attention and then don't pay the hospital bill? Seems one would also get a ticket for not wearing a helmet, if that's the point here. And, why not just stay in ones own State (KY), have an accident and not pay that hospital? That way one would avoid the ticket because one isn't required to wear a helmet (KY). Did I get that straight?

Not sure exactly what your point is but, some motorcycle riders do in fact cross state lines when out riding.

Again, the thing to keep in mind if you live in a Helmet Law State: If you travel on a MC to a non-Helmet Law state and are involved in a collision while not wearing a helmet, your insurer is not obligated to provide ANY coverage to you. Home state rule applies to you.

I love it when the FUD gets deep. Can you please show me where it says (or implies) that in your health insurance policy?

Not sure exactly what your point is but, some motorcycle riders do in fact cross state lines when out riding.

Point? I had no point...this is just a Forum. Crossing State lines does not apply when it's between TN and KY. I read that on a Forum.

Last edited:
Not to change the subject but as an aside note, I have a neurosurgeon friend that said he would like to write instructions for people attempting suicide on how and where to aim a pistol so they don't become a vegetable and a burden on the Hospital. I am going to continue to wear a good helmet in case I wind up in his Hospital if I have a wreck.:blah

I worked in insurance claims for over 31 years and I never saw that in any policy. I dumb and stupid was excluded, the majority of claims would not be covered.

What the ACA will change is that all those helmetless types will now either have insurance or contribute to govt coffers (which are the major revenue source for hospitals) by paying fines for not having it- so some (but not all) of the economic argument around helmet use is removed.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that a bunch of the folks who choose to ride helmetless are the same ones griping about being forced to exercise some personal responsibility by being insured. We settled this issue eons ago when it comes to vehicle liability insurance- this is just a repeat forced by the insane costs of US style medicine which can bankrupt most easily, foisting the costs of their choice or outcomes onto others.

If you're not wearing a helmet, would you be the type of person that would care?

Please cite where you got this info from.

Pretty sure Obamacare doesn't require the usage of a helmet or even a question regarding the use of a motorcycle. In fact, there are no pre-existing limitations therefore, you can have a brain injury from a prior motorcycle accident, while not wearing a helmet in any State and still qualify for coverage.

Most living brain damaged folks I know are on SS disability

What the ACA will change is that all those helmetless types will now either have insurance or contribute to govt coffers (which are the major revenue source for hospitals) by paying fines for not having it- so some (but not all) of the economic argument around helmet use is removed.

I don't think the ACA will have much of an impact. The risk takers who don't want to wear helmets feel invincible and will not have insurance and pay the minimal penalty or have Bronze with hugh deductibles (as much as $12,000) an co-pays as high as 50%. If they do sustain severe head injuries, they will go on SS disability and be on Medicare and Medicaid (as they do now).

Also, the ACA will do nothing to keep head injuries from increasing liability rates. The at fault driver will still be responsible.

Back