• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Closed thread

WARNING!

Vicious attacks on the hometown of members will not be tolerated.

Saying that Santa Cruz is in SOUTHERN California is an EXTREMELY low blow!!!!! :D:D:D

(It's less than an hour south of San Francisco.) Southern California is a couple hundred miles further south.

:dance:dance:dance

Sorry to break this to you, Lee, but I'm just slumming up in the bay area. I'm actually a native Angelino (like, dood!, from like the Valley). Maybe even worse than that, I'm at my folks' place this very weekend. I got to Santa Cruz after living in Seattle for a decade. They don't *ever* see the sun in Seattle. You can only tell that it's summertime up there because the rain is warmer.

Snow? WE are in the biggest drought in our history! From Jan. 31,2013 to Jan. 31, 2014 we got a TOTAL of 3" of rain! The next lowest rainfall in our history was something like 5". AVERAGE IS 15". Our reservoirs are only about 30% full and the Sierra snow pack is about 15% of normal. Already they are talking about water rationing.

The cause of our AND your screwed up weather is a massive high pressure zone out in the Pacific. It usually breaks down every winter and allows winter storms to hit California. But it hasn't weakened for almost two years. So, OUR normal winter rains get pushed north and combines with the stuff coming down from Alaska and the combined mess is being dumped on everything east of the Rockies with magnified results.

Just because it's unusually cold where you are, doesn't mean it's not unusually warm on other parts of the globe.

We finally got a small storm this weekend, but it's just mostly drizzle.

Not gloating. We would GLADLY take some of your rain (and snow for the Sierra). The State Water Project has announced, for the first time in history, they will not be selling ANY water to our region. We normally get %80 of our water from them. Our aquifers are only 60% full and local reservoirs 38% full.

We're going to be SCREWED this summer!

:dance:dance:dance

I'll gladly give you our snow, spring can't come fast enough. I usually try to ride all year but this year way to much snow. I guess we all have taken this thread in another direction.

What is your Avatar?

Now for something completely different:

Mr. 36, what is your avatar supposed to represent? I have guessed everything from a Chrysanthemum (national symbol of Japan) to a top side view of an HVAC unit.

Mine is easy, since it is a picture of my greyhound.

Yours, I can't figure out.

Bill

You have a problem with that??:scratch

Please, just say you don't.........It's been an ugly week.

Oh, BTW, you should be getting some more snow tomorrow morning. Enjoy.

No I don't have a problem with that. BUT, I assume there are some members that would like to have a serious discussion on why some threads end up being closed and would rather keep on topic. I don't think I'd be too happy if I made a thread to discuss some issues I was having and have it make a left turn off topic.

Kaplan Turbine

Thanks very much for the explanation! That is a really neat gadget. I have never seen a Kaplan turbine, since I never spent any time around hydro-electric generators, if I understand that to be their application.

I was just looking at things in my realm of experience. I see that HVAC unit in action every time I pass by it as I cut the grass.

A turbine powered motorcycle would certainly be something. I'm not sure I would be capable of riding one.

Bill

Thanks very much for the explanation! That is a really neat gadget. I have never seen a Kaplan turbine, since I never spent any time around hydro-electric generators, if I understand that to be their application.

I was just looking at things in my realm of experience. I see that HVAC unit in action every time I pass by it as I cut the grass.

A turbine powered motorcycle would certainly be something. I'm not sure I would be capable of riding one.

Bill

While mundane, an HVAC condenser cooling fan could be as stylish as my little avatar, if the manufacturers cared to pay for the performance boost.

Back in the day, K-bike riders would, on occasion, tell the unwashed that it was a turbine inside the box.....

Last edited:
There is a guy who can build you a turbine bike using an Alison Huey turbine. Leno has one, scary, I mean scary fast when it spins up. What a sound no horn or loud pipes needed. That is if my memory is right.

Last edited:
There are a few thousand places on the internet where you all are free to preach or yell at each other regarding drugs, addiction, sexuality, politics, religion, guns, or whatever you want. But on this BMW motorcycle fourm this is all just pollution. Please go pollute someplace else.

Two thumbs up! :clap

So by closing a thread you are saying that even though this is a paid membership , we as members cannot discuss what we choose to ? legal issues/topics,.. even in a civil manner?.

Now after 25 years I must consider my desire to remain here & or in MOA altogether...

If you want a form that you can post anything you want, politics, religion, etc. look into the Airheads form, and sign up
for the Airhead-Chat form.

Jack
Ethridge
Ocala Fl

If you want a form that you can post anything you want, politics, religion, etc. look into the Airheads form, and sign up
for the Airhead-Chat form.

Jack
Ethridge
Ocala Fl

Well, actually going back to the start I never posted anything....I merely replied my opinion on an already started thread. Then I posted this thread questioning why that thread was / needed to be closed?

And yet here again, rather than read a thread title that you do not like, and passing over it? You find it more appropriate to tell me what I may or may not be allowed to say........interesting.

Ron -

I didn't read that at all in your quoted reply or in what Jack was saying. It's been stated numerous times, that within the "allowed" topics, we are free to discuss just about anything here on the forum. I think the key word here is "civil" and that is open to the moderators interpretation. And other members as well. We might get a reported post by a member who wants us to take a look at an ongoing discussion. We're not perfect but work at it as best as we can. So, if the topic under discussion is about changing tires on a KLT and the discussion turns vile for whatever reason, there might/will be repercussions.

All I got from what Jack was saying is that there are plenty of places on the web which are more open to discussions that out outside of our "allowables". Again, that has been stated many times in this thread.

Infinity...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cs4Gj7JsET4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ron -

I didn't read that at all in your quoted reply or in what Jack was saying. It's been stated numerous times, that within the "allowed" topics, we are free to discuss just about anything here on the forum. I think the key word here is "civil" and that is open to the moderators interpretation. And other members as well. We might get a reported post by a member who wants us to take a look at an ongoing discussion. We're not perfect but work at it as best as we can. So, if the topic under discussion is about changing tires on a KLT and the discussion turns vile for whatever reason, there might/will be repercussions.

All I got from what Jack was saying is that there are plenty of places on the web which are more open to discussions that out outside of our "allowables". Again, that has been stated many times in this thread.

Perhaps I miss read then ? and for that I apologize . I believe I have been civil, and of course will continue to do so.

Rotary and Religion

I have been a Rotarian for over 26 years, and have been a member of two different Rotary clubs and have visited numerous other Rotary clubs. The two basic rules at Rotary meeting are: No political discussions and No religious discussions! .

Sorry, but this is not true. I was invited to a Rotary meeting as a possible member. The first order of business was a prayer before our lunch. I left. Perhaps your definition of no politics and no religion is different than mine?

Sorry, but this is not true. I was invited to a Rotary meeting as a possible member. The first order of business was a prayer before our lunch. I left. Perhaps your definition of no politics and no religion is different than mine?

Maybe it's a southern thing or maybe a rural thing but both the Kiwanis Club and Ruritan Club where I have been a member for years always bless the food we eat. Nobody complains even though we have people from several different religions and some with no religion. I don't think that would be considered a religious discussion.

Back