• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R12R is waiting for Me !

And I can guarantee that your new bike will be at the bottom of the list that gets it's service...
I can relate that is not the way the BMW dealers I have had service work performed at operate. Schlossmann's BMW of Milwaukee gives exceptional service on my BMW that I didn't purchase from them, I had Baton Rouge BMW perform repair work, exceptionally, while I was on a road trip and the rear ESA shock failed, I had 6K service performed at San Jose Costa Rica, all dealerships provided exceptional service. Does it really make any economical sense not to provide service on motos that weren't purchased at the specific dealership? I think they are all in to make a profit on service work whether or not the bike was purchased there.

Just my 2 cents...

And I can guarantee that your new bike will be at the bottom of the list that gets it's service. In other words it might sit at the dealer for a few weeks if they are busy working on the bikes that they sold before they work on it & I don't blame them one bit. There are some dealers that won't even install tires on bikes that they didn't sell.

That would be pretty childish. I've never made someone wait due to where the bike was purchased. And, I doubt there would be dealers to any degree who would handle it differently.

Had an incident one time where a traveler broke down and he happened to get the bike into our store shortly before a local customer scheduled appointment. When the appointment showed up on time we shuffled the traveler back a time slot because the local said his appointment time was important to him due to a busy work schedule. The traveler was annoyed because he felt we should take take care of his bike first because he was a traveler. I gave the spot to the local because the local didn't want to give up his time slot and he had showed up on time.

Although a local purchase might receive some type of benefit as the need arises first come, first serve is viewed as a fair system to most of us I assume. And, appointments kept in a timely manner fall into that logic as well.

It would be childish...but it happens. People do irrational things.

I'm an atty, now retired. I've represented several motorcycle dealers, BMWs and other brands. Once, when I was ready to buy a new bike, my client didn't have what I wanted and wasn't much interested in finding it. I ended up buying from another dealer who had what I wanted right on the floor. My client was angry, and showed it, and made it clear I was unwelcome at his business. He thus lost all the continuing maintenance, service, and tires that I would happily have bought from him, as he was a lot closer than the selling dealer.

My wife's Rule of Life #4 is: Some things cannot be understood. :dunno

charlie_brown.jpg

Quoting Charlie Brown: Good Grief! What started out as a celebration of getting a new bike and could have been a thread about the early days of ownership is now is being hijacked and turned into a rant about dealers pro and con.

Where's the joy guys?

charlie-brown-1-sad.jpg

Hey Bradkap: Glad you made the deal and good luck. I hope you enjoy your R1200R as much as I have my R1150R!

charlie_brown.jpg

Quoting Charlie Brown: Good Grief! What started out as a celebration of getting a new bike and could have been a thread about the early days of ownership is now is being hijacked and turned into a rant about dealers pro and con.

Where's the joy guys?

+1

Right? Hmmm, acting like they are suffering from PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome). :laugh

And I can guarantee that your new bike will be at the bottom of the list that gets it's service. In other words it might sit at the dealer for a few weeks if they are busy working on the bikes that they sold before they work on it & I don't blame them one bit. There are some dealers that won't even install tires on bikes that they didn't sell.

There's good dealers and bad dealers. The bad ones eventually get what they deserve by way of word of mouth- or internet!

But what I find incredible is that you "don't blame them one bit" if they let a non-buyers bike sit for a few weeks! Really? That's just the kind of nastiness that sends people runing from a dealer like that.
Really nice way to rain on someone's parade saddleman.

There are some dealers that won't even install tires on bikes that they didn't sell.

Please let us all know who these dealers are, so that we don't rely on them when we are travelling. I just had a rear tire replaced 700 miles from home on my last trip. I'm glad I didn't run into one of these dealers.

Who are the dealers you know of that won't replace tires on bikes purchased elsewhere, Saddleman?

Right any BMW dealer will do service, but in Cincinnati we are not blessed with a dealership. But we have the next best thing. Cadre Cycle which is run by the former BMW dealership tech guys. They just call BMW and get the authorization to do the manufacture required recalls etc. All routine service is no problem and done at much less cost.

Congrats on the new ride.
Cincinnati?
Look forward to see the new bike.
www.gcbmwc.org

I've taken my bike to the purchase dealership only once, and since '06 it has been serviced by a number of other dealerships. I've always been welcome. In fact, I've come to learn that most of the money the dealerships make comes from the service department. These non-purchase dealerships (for lack of a better term) have always been more than willing to take my money and have given me good service with a sincere desire of keeping my business. The good folks in Austin almost feel like relatives. I've never had my bike put at the end of the service line. And I just can't see a dealership shooting themselves in the foot when there are literally thousands of dollars to be made in service repairs.

I guess it could happen, but it has never happened to me.

And by the way.....ENJOY THE NEW BIKE!!!!!!!!!

E.

"Today you can go to a gas station and find the cash register open and the toilets locked."
Joey Bishop

Last edited:
HTML:

Sorry Dave, that is simply rubbish.
Regards
Paul

New R1200R

Congratulations on your new bike!

You have probably discovered, as most of us who ride R1200R's, know that it is the best kept secret in the BMW line. It is unfortunate that you had to travel 700 miles to find one, but that is probably because dealers either do not stock them or only have one bike on the showroom floor.

I realize the GS is the most popular bike in the line, but many of us do not travel off road and want to have a bike that rides well around town and also for touring, although the off road capability may be diminished. If you believe that about the diminished off-road capability of the R1200R, check out the ADVRIDER forum to see how a guy named LostRider travels with his R1200R.

You might want to visit the forum dedicated to R1150R's and R1200R's (www.r1150,net) to get some bike specific information on farkles, riding impressions and of course, the ubiquitous tire and oil choices for the R1200R.

Bill

Without a picture, it didn't happen.

So, where is the picture of your beautiful new bike??????????:wave

Back