• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another ATGATT Story

This demonstrates how every ride is unique and not typical. You need to prepare for each ride accordingly. This lady obviously did the right thing, and I suspect will continue to do so. How terrific that she escaped completely unharmed!

That said, given that she is "highly trained and experienced" (her words), it's interesting that she didn't allow more space between her and the van, given that there's no way she could see what was in the road in front of her, and given that there was a truck on her right. She does make note of that fact further down in that thread that it may or may not have made a difference.

Once the accident/incident is underway your mind seems to change real time into slo-mo. I can remember seeing my bike sliding away from me and simultaneously hoping surrounding traffic would avoid running over me. I was wearing levis', 10" boots, gloves, 3/4 helmet with visor, and a long sleeve shirt. Needless to say I now wear a armored jacket, modular helmet, gloves, and kevelar lined jeans. Wearing protective gear is a matter of choice that each rider must make.

RIDE SAFE

+1

Nice write-up.

I like the fact that on a BMW I do not feel peer pressure to wear a fake helmet or no helmet and can wear ATGATT and a hi-viz vest or jacket as I see fit. Riding motorcycles is dangerous and doing all you can to improve your odds only makes sense.

I have to reply to this with a story of my own.
My son, who is now 17 and has been riding for just under a year now got a first hand experience in why gear matters.
Nick started riding a little CB200 last year when he decided he was just to big to ride on back of mine or my wifes bike, so we got a small bike so he could learn and get license. This spring we found a CB750 for him to use once he got his endorsement and he could ride longer distances with us. All along I have preached about gear and training so many time seeing the rolling eyes and hearing " I know dad you tell me all the time!" I point out little things I see him do and spots on road that could present an issue. He has the best gear and borrows mine for better weather protection and comfort some times and has never had issue putting it on probably because of all the years of racing karts. This spring he passed test with out a hitch on first chance even though it was 35 deg.
One day, he says he is headed out to post office to get mail, which means around a ten to fifteen mile ride in country. As my wife and I sat there waiting thinking, it has been a little while, we hear him come in drive. As he came in I yelled "where have you been?" He steps around corner covered in mud saying "where do you think I have been?"
After first thoughts of thank god he is ok, I asked what happened. He said wasnt a big deal and was a real slow speed around 15 to 20. There was a big pot hole in road and he swerved to miss it, the wheels caught the mud and down it went. Telling me it was good because the bike went one way and I went the other and thank god no one saw it and that bike is freaking heavy.
I told him to say down and I hosed off the bike and cloths, once he sat down I think it hit him and he felt a little sick.
A few hours latter I started pointing out some things, The scratches on the bike and then the scuffs on my jacket elbow pointing out that he hit something pretty hard and didn't even realize it thanks to what he was wearing.
The best quote I heard from him was "Dad, I'm sorry for messing up your jacket!" I told him I am just glad he was able to come home and tell me that and we all got to laugh about the mud and not worry about the blood.
The best part is I didn't have to talk him into it and he has never had problem wearing it, Now he doesn't hesitate.
And knowing how kids are at school, he has no problem wearing everything to school events and takes the stupid comments in stride because he now knows what can happen.

Back