• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dyna Beads

I use DynaBeads and like them.

I was trying to refill this years tires with recycled beads and had an awful time getting them through the valve stem.
They get a little sticky after 4 uses and even though they feel fine they clog the stem way more than usual.

From now on, I'll change them after 3 uses.
The new ones went in just fine.

Now I feel obligated to add a minus one to the thread. They produced weird vibration when I tried them. It went away when I took them out. They can also get stuck in your valve stem when you check your air pressure.

Beads

Been using them couple of years. 1oz frt tire, 2oz rear. I think the Michelin tires (RP2) are not even in need of weight. What do I know? I do know they are cheap enough that I will use new ones each change. Never had a problem with beads in valves. I am getting over 12,000 miles on my front and could get more on my rear if I didn't change at the same time.

I have reused them on 5 sets of tires, I swear by them. I scoop them out of the old tire with card and transfer to the new tire, you lose a few. Maybey I'll spring for a new kit!

Here is my opinion on using Dyna Beads after running them in two sets of tires. I don't believe I got any extra mileage from using them, if I did it was minimal. I am not using them in the last set I installed.

I think the beads actually work fairly well, but I do notice that when traveling above 85-90mph that the tires that are balanced normally with my balancer are smoother than those with the beads. This difference is minor, but the vibration is there and it appeared only at high speeds.

The one really good thing I like about the beads is that the two front tires I used them on didn't scallop at all. It seemed that every front tire on my BMWs were scalloped when I removed them, some worse than others. That could be a coincidence, I'll see how this front tire does without the beads.

My recommendation is that if you have no way to balance your own tires, use the beads, they do a decent job. If you can do a good job at balancing your tires, then forget about the beads. It seems that the tires manufactured these days do not need much balancing, but my wheels are another story!

As far as removing them from the old tire when doing a tire change, I use a vacuum cleaner. I put a piece of my wife's old pantyhose over the end of the vacuum hose and suck them out of the old tire. Turn off the vacuum and they are trapped in a small pouch of the pantyhose. This actually works very well.

First time with dyna beads, 6k and no cupping with pr3's on 95 rs. This is with shocks on bike that are shot and haven't had the chance to put hagons on that I have sitting in garage. One benefit not mentioned, visually the wheels are cleaner without weights.

I am getting over 12,000 miles on my front and could get more on my rear if I didn't change at the same time.

What bike are you getting 12K on a rear? And are you saying you could go further on the rear?
On most of our bikes, it's two rears to a front.

Motorcycle Consumer News evaluated DynaBeads about a year ago and determined they did nothing. I've never tried them, but suspect they're like a placebo. People who spend money on them will swear by them.

I've used them for several years & I'd offer my opinion but it has been deemed worthless. I suppose the various truck/freight haulers that use them are also ill informed. Nothing like the tire companies for good information:brow Like they give a hoot about beads? They want you to buy a new set of tires each week.
Oh, and go ahead & keep adding lead to the environment :nono End of rant-Whew!

I suspect folks are trying to find a cheap easy carefree way to balance tires since the beads came along.

Some very experienced mechanics and riders even question the need to balance motorcycle tires. I do and I use steel weights. Lead weights are illegal in some states so that is becoming a non-issue.

Tire usage

Someone asked what kind of bike I am getting 12000 miles on rear tire. I ride a 04 1150 RT and always wear the front tire out first. Road Pilot 2's. Front tires get that funny wear on the left side that I don't like the looks of and change at 12000. Rear could keep going but I just change them both.
Ken Denton

Some very experienced mechanics and riders even question the need to balance motorcycle tires. I do and I use steel weights. Lead weights are illegal in some states so that is becoming a non-issue.

Some bike tire manufacturers (Michelin for one) have stopped marking the light spot on the tire with a paint dot because manufacturing tolerances are so good, there is no light spot.

I stopped balancing my bike tires a few years ago. No noticeable difference.

Back