• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New owner of an F650 Twin.

LENRT1200ST

Hello to all F800/650 owners.

Please welcome a new owner/member to this forum. I returned from riding my wife’s new to her 2003 F650 Dakar home form N. Georgia and found that while I was riding my wife pulled the trigger on a 2010 F650 GS Twin for me! She's so sweet.

I sent her in our truck from the dealer Black Mountain Cycles in Dahlonega, Georgia to BMW Motorcycled of Atlanta to retrieve my 2005 R1200GS which was being serviced. We decided since the F650 Dakar was a new purchase and I the more experineced rider, I'd get the task of riding it home. While we were at BMW of Atlanta earlier to drop off the R1200GS for service, she pointed out a very nicely accessorized F650GS to me. We both liked the bike a lot and had been discussing a replacement for the R1200GS for some time. So, I asked Jon to run some number for me: trading the R for the newer F while we were on the way to pick up Bonnie's new ride in Dahlonega.

I’m busy enjoying the ride from Dahlonega home. During the ride I’m wondering which bike will be riding in our truck from Atlanta? To my great surprise and delight a 2010 F650GS appeared in my driveway on the back of our Honda Ridgeline! I had told her to make the decision, but didn’t know the outcome until our truck reached home.

I have owned and ridden the 2005 R1200GS for about two years. I traded my new 2006 R1200ST for the GS after having some trouble riding long distance on the ST. I've had back surgery, and as a result get stabbing pains in my right leg if they are in a crouched position of several hours.

The F650GS is a 2010, equipped w/Tourtech bags and top box, Tourtech crash bars, radiator guard, etc. It is metallic silver in color w/ black accessories… a very pretty bike, understated but elegant. I’ve only ridding the F650 a few miles, but think the riding position is going to work out fine. I did test drive a 2010 F800GS earlier at the dealer, and it just didn’t catch my fancy. This bike is totally different in a very good way. I love the lighter agile feel of this bike vs the 2005 R1200GS, too.

We both spent the evening sampling our new "to us" BMW motorcycles. A fine way to end any day.

Len

Last edited:
You have a great wife Len, and congratulations on your new F650! It was nice you found one already well accessorsized too. I'm kinda of a newbie here too. Just this week I bought a lightly used (400 miles) 09 F650 and I'm really enjoying this bike. Unfortunately mine did not come with bags and the farkles yours did.

Congrats... on the new bike!

I love my mine!

I am not in any way trying to lead you away from this forum, because i love this place and check it most every day. That being said, as an F800 owner you may want to check out the BMW MOA sanctioned group called F800riders.org ... It is a very busy forum, not as diverse as this group, but good to know about when it comes to owning the parallel twin.

Happy riding

Pedro

Thanks to all responders

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Two weeks and several hundred miles later, I love this bike.

Len

That bike is a super bike! I too own one and chose it over the taller F800GS for several reasons...and I have been happy with it for almost 2 years now. I got it in August of '09. One of the first '10s sold by BMW of Atlanta...Maybe THE first.

I now have 20K miles on it and it suits me to a tee.

Since you're in north GA. you might consider joining our BMW Owners of Georgia club, a MOA chartered club.

Congratulations

Congrats on your new bike. Mine has 40K on it now and need new tires AGAIN. That's a good thing!! It is light and agile and will go anywhere. Hope you enjoy it.

Back