• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newer Oilhead Brake Light Enhancements

Mr. Frank

I have read that BMW does not authorize any brake light enhancements on bikes with the new integrated brakes, and yet I think some folks are using Hyperlites. Is this a problem? I also know that there is a "back off" option with Lite Buddies that flashes the running lights when the brakes are applied. Since the power for the lights comes from the tail light, the power demand for the flasher must be small. Would this be a problem with the new brakes?

Brake lights

The service manager at my dealer told me not to put anything of that nature on the bike. He said he has seen several newer (integrated brake) bikes that developed numerous ABS fault indications when these mods were installed. However, I have heard from folks that the flashing LED devices have worked seccessfully, because they draw so little power.

False "light out" w/brake light flasher...

I expect this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find it in the archives...yet this thread is close, so here goes.

I had a 'brake light flasher' installed on my 2000 R1100RT without any problem. Don't remember where I got it, a round blue sealed relay that makes the brakes flash 3 or 4 times before going steady...and if brakes reapplied a few moments later the flashing is of shorter duration.

Worked great. Liked it. Got a new bike, a 2000 R1150RT-P. Moved the flasher over. Now the 1st time I hit the brakes I get what I think is a "bulb out" idiot light on the dashboard (light right under the flashing ABS test light.)

Everything seems to work fine, but I don't like riding with a false lamp out error.

Any suggestions? Do I need a 'special' flasher to avoid this? Maybe I need to wire up a resistor ahead of the relay so whatever is sensing things sees a heavier load when the flasher is cycling the brake light off?

Suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Paul

I had HyperLites on my 94 K1100LT and no problems. I had the 8 LED running/flashing brake lights on my 2004 1150RT with no problems as well. However, I did have one of the LED modules crap out recently. Called HyperLite and they immediately asked me what model I had and said they'd send me a new set--no questions asked. Great customer service.

Since I was going to replace the existing set on the RT, I upgraded to the 16 LED 3 way, running/brake/turn model and added another set of 8 LED running/brake for a double setup. Just installed both last week and all works fine. HyperLite let me pay for the difference in the original cost of my crapped out 8 LED set and the new 3 way set. Whole shipment arrived within 2 days!

Again, kudos to HyperLites and highly recommend the products.:dance

I just installed 16 led hyper lights and signal minder ( w/ the brake lite option installed)at the same tiime.
works ok.
just kinda wierd seeing all 4 sigs flash a few times. and having the the rear ambers on all the time ( legal in Florida).

have hyper lites on three oilheads and run-n- lites on another, also the kissan signal minder on all that as mentioned turn the signals into runing lights.

Never any issues with warning lights

Go to Bob's BMW, they advertize systems that will work on all BMW. I have the Brake! option on my 2000RS with no problems.

On a seperate note, for Henzilla, where did you find the Reddy Kilowat symbol?

I have read that BMW does not authorize any brake light enhancements on bikes with the new integrated brakes, and yet I think some folks are using Hyperlites. Is this a problem? I also know that there is a "back off" option with Lite Buddies that flashes the running lights when the brakes are applied. Since the power for the lights comes from the tail light, the power demand for the flasher must be small. Would this be a problem with the new brakes?

What years do you consider a "newer Oilhead"?

any bike with the Canbus system can be a problem, or so I've heard. I have a Knight Rider brake light on my 99 RT with no problems. I also have Hyper lights that hook straight into my taillight plugs. I spliced the Knight Rider light into my tail/brake light wires. If you Google Knight Rider Light, you'll see what I have...

Back