• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pike's Peak or Bust (aka: foolhardy solo CDR)

U

uvejuxeq

IÔÇÖm planning a solo adventure in a few days and I call this trip
ÔÇ£PikeÔÇÖs Peak or Bust!ÔÇØ, Original ÔÇô huh!

I am 62 years young, riding a 2008 BMW R1200GS affectionately named Scarface. I have been told (mostly by my nagging brother) that I am too old and my bike is too big to do this kind of trip and that my plan is foolhardy and dangerous to attempt this solo. With that advice, I MUST now do it!

I will be leaving home in Central Texas and head to the southern end of the Continental Divide Route (CDR) in New Mexico, then proceed north thru the CDR until mid Colorado. I estimate that it will take me about 9 days to make it up that far riding the divide. At that point I will head east and ride to the top of PikeÔÇÖs Peak! BTW: I am terrified of heights.

After conquering PikeÔÇÖs Peak, I plan to visit the historic towns of Cripple Creek and Victor. From Victor, I head to the Royal Gorge by way of the Phantom Canyon trail. I hope to cross the Royal Gorge Bridge after which I begin another cross country endeavor south west to arrive at the Great Sand Dunes by way of the Medano Pass Primitive route.

If I survive all off this, the rest of the trip is pavement. From the Great Sand Dunes, I will then head to Roswell, New Mexico in search of illegal aliens. Providing I am not abducted at Area 51 - head to the house.

My schedule right now is to begin this trip next Tuesday or Wednesday (August 17th or 18th). I plan on this trip taking about 2 ?¢ weeks.

I will maintain a blog at www.BeemerBob.com as best as I can. I try to post daily (with pictures), but I suspect cell phone and wi-fi coverage may be scarce in the wilderness, so it may be a while before post are uploaded

I may try to make some post here on ti forum, but the best way to follow would be on the blog. To not miss any of the posts, go to www.BeemerBob.com and on the right side is an area to subscribe. Once subscribed and you confirm the subscriptions, will we receive my daily post. You can un-subscribe anytime if you get bored with my adventure.

Go for it, you might not get many more chances to do this ride. I will be leaving FL this coming Sat heading to Shady Cove, OR to pick up a Bushtec trailer for my CLC. Pace yourself and stop to take pictures along the way. I will stop at Crater Lake and look forward to riding in the Rockies. I'm planning on 480>550 mile days. Having 20 days to complete the trip should allow me to tent camp in some of the most scenic areas of our country. Age is not a problem (I just turned 68) lack of planning and preparation can/will present the greatest obstacles for having an enjoyable trip. Good Luck and Ride Safe. :usa :usa

Rock the hell on! I'm so jealous dude!

Looking forward to your reports...

Keep fighting the good fight

Back