• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Returning Rider

emeryberk

Hi fellow riders ~

I'm back on a bike after a 20-year absence. Formerly rode mid-sized Hondas
(750's) ~ now have a gorgeous, 4-year old low mileage BMW R1150R.

I live in Emeryville CA, and am VERY GINGERLY practicing my bike riding
(and getting used to this new bike) on Sundays only ~ for the present time.
Stuff like low-speed maneuvering, throttle/braking practice and the fine
art of THINKING all the time while riding. (Have retained my M1 license
all these years . . . guess I just KNEW . . .)

Also, a couple months back, took and graduated from the MSF rider's course in nearby Pittsburgh (CA). A good refresher, albeit on teensy 250cc Suzuki's.

When I start broadening my rides beyond Sunday/no traffic, would love to hear from BMW riders who live nearby who might want to ride. I'm sane, and awake but defnitely navigating my way through this most dangerous six-months (the first) for a returning rider. Currently reading Reg Pridmore's "Smooth Riding," and practicing THOSE skills as well.

When I was in my 30's/40's, was a very "natural" biker (confident, fast, "one with the bike") (maybe goofy sometimes too!!!)(; now I'm re-calibrating for all of the following (1) 60-yr-old reflexes (not bad, but different), (2) replacing the fantasy of "immortality" with wiseom in my riding, and (3) learning a bigger bike.

So, wish me luck! Berk Fuller 510-891-1947 berkeley@deuxames.com

Welcome to the family Burke.

If you post The West Forum for riding partners, I am sure you will get a response.

Great introduction. You are just about "average" in terms of MOA members in the age category so you should feel right at home.

Glad to have you here and look forward to reading your posts as you gain experience on you "new" bike.

Ride Well
Ride Often
Ride to :eat

Welcome. I am a short 2 day ride away from you. (the way I used to ride :ha)
It sounds like you are doing well, enjoy the new machine.

I highly recommend David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" volumes 1 & 2. Volume 1 contains LOTS of street strategies and sage advice. Volume 2 has more plus some great practice exercises.

I highly recommend David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" volumes 1 & 2. Volume 1 contains LOTS of street strategies and sage advice. Volume 2 has more plus some great practice exercises.

+1. Take the time to read and digest them, then go practice, practice, practice...

Welcome back!

Local Club

Please go to the MOA home page and look up local BMW Chartered clubs in your area. A great way to meet like minded people and get involved in local rides and other activities that clubs get involved in.

+1 on that info... If you get the desire... May 2010 - EXR's Treasure of Yosemite Ride... David will be at the rally speaking on Friday and Saturday night... It will be a great op to talk one-on-one with him.

Rally at www.expressoriders.org/2010 Rally.htm

Welcome BACK to the asylum...

+2 or +3on that.

Very well document, easily understand and instantly applicable.

I have read it many times and ALWAYS find something new.

Welcome aboard.

Luis

Back